Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Megaten Haven the SMT Bulletin Board
04/20/24 at 01:10:26
News:
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Devil Summoner TV series (Read 22892 times)
Brand
YaBB Administrator

I Love Jack Frost!

Devil Summoner TV series
03/02/08 at 13:53:45

So there was a live action Devil Summoner TV series back in the 90's.  It came out on DVD a few years ago in Japan (but the box sets was very expensive, like $300 U.S. dollars).  Recently someone has uploaded episodes from it on NicoNico video which is a lot like youtube.

Tastystirfry posted this in the SumaruCity LiveJournal community but I thought I would share it with you here:

Quote:

(These videos require you to be registered with NicoNico video, instructions are here.

So, they finally got around to uploading more episodes of the Devil Summoner TV series on NicoNico. It only took them like, half a year! Anyway, the series is pretty laughable, but it has a certain cheesy charm to it, what with all the blood and cheap CGI effects. Below are a few choice episodes from the series:

Devil Summoner TV Drama episode 12 - "The Duel"
This is the next to last episode of the first season, where Kyouji and Rei prepare to go off and fight Sid. This... well, this is the epitome of the series. The cheese, the gore, the brief shot of Kyouji's ass, the cruddy special effects, the montage of Rei and Kyouji getting suited up in leather... This is not safe for work, unless your job involves looking at pictures of bloody dead people.

Devil Summoner TV Drama Episode 15 - "Parasite Ward"
In which Kyouji is attacked by a topless woman who has tentacles. No, really. Not safe for work. This episode shows off some of the fun filled gore this series has! Gore and boobies.

Devil Summoner TV Drama - "The Illusion of Jack Frost"
This is a relatively tame episode, no violence or nudity to speak of. Jack Frost puts in an appearance as a spirit that's haunting a print club photo booth. No, really. The CGI Jack Frost makes me giggle because it is so terrible. This is also the second season, so Rei is sporting her really unfortunate bangs.

While he mentions that the Jack Frost episode is tame and it is, there is some naked boobies for all about three seconds.

From what I saw the quality wasn't that bad, if you take in mind that this is a Japanese Live action show (Which tend to be super cheap to begin with) and from the mid-late 90's.  I did like how the one girl in the Jack Frost episode was in a St. Hermelin High School uniform.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
0kami7777

I Love Jack Frost!

Re: Devil Summoner TV series
Reply #1 - 03/18/08 at 17:57:05

is anybody planning on subbing these into english?

View Profile   IP Logged
Brand
YaBB Administrator

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #2 - 03/18/08 at 23:29:32

I wish, but I don't think so.  At one point I thought of buying the dvd box set but it was super expensive (like $300 dollars a season).  I think these dvds have gone out of print and are even more expensive now to get so I don't know if there is a whole large chance of subs happening, unless raw files show up some where.

0kami7777

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #3 - 03/23/08 at 19:10:19

It's okay. I watched some and I think not knowing WTF is going on is what makes it great. It almost reminds me of Garth Meranghi's Darkplace in terms of horror unintentional humor (except this time it IS uninentional). Nothing can compare with the demon posessed hooker with the laser beam shooting that guy's head off.

View Profile   IP Logged
Choooo

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #4 - 04/18/08 at 13:16:25

Yeah, that one's great because his head explodes into soapy red water.

View Profile   IP Logged
Fiend-Vaan
Less Newbies

Knight of the Mush

Reply #5 - 02/16/09 at 15:21:25

I remember watching a clip somewhere a long ago, I thought it was fan-made! this is what Ed Wood would have made if he was japanese. Awesome!

Rend, Slaughter, Devour your enemies; there is no other way to survive, you cannot escape your hunger... Warriors of Purgatory
Email View Profile Fiend-Vaan   IP Logged
Brand
YaBB Administrator

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #6 - 02/16/09 at 23:41:18

Honestly if you watched a decent amount of Japanese live action TV or even some movies, that show wasn't even close to Ed Wood level cheese.

Spider Bike

Reply #7 - 02/19/09 at 17:45:39

Quote from Brand on 02/16/09 at 23:41:18:
Honestly if you watched a decent amount of Japanese live action TV or even some movies, that show wasn't even close to Ed Wood level cheese.

This. The Japanese seem to be incapable of making more than ten decent live action anythings.

View Profile   IP Logged
Fiend-Vaan
Less Newbies

Knight of the Mush

Reply #8 - 02/21/09 at 11:22:35

Quote from Alizarin on 02/19/09 at 17:45:39:

This. The Japanese seem to be incapable of making more than ten decent live action anythings.

That is why they make Anime, which in my humble opinion is a nicer way to tell a story

Rend, Slaughter, Devour your enemies; there is no other way to survive, you cannot escape your hunger... Warriors of Purgatory
Email View Profile Fiend-Vaan   IP Logged
Spider Bike

Reply #9 - 05/21/09 at 03:20:44

Quote from Fiend-Vaan on 02/21/09 at 11:22:35:
Quote from Alizarin on 02/19/09 at 17:45:39:

That is why they make Anime, which in my humble opinion is a nicer way to tell a story

A lot of anime is retarded

View Profile   IP Logged
Koolin
Newbies

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #10 - 09/19/12 at 06:21:33

I am so busy that I haven t watch this since couple of weeks.

Email View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print