Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Megaten Haven the SMT Bulletin Board
04/25/24 at 09:49:16
News:
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 16
Send Topic Print
Persona 4 (Read 56912 times)
Jin-kun
Newbies

We finally getting
fes

Persona 4
03/18/08 at 14:42:23

Its been confirmed guys now we just got to wait for it to be released state side  

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/persona/persona4/persona4.html

Email View Profile   IP Logged
0kami7777

I Love Jack Frost!

Re: Persona 4
Reply #1 - 03/18/08 at 17:22:59

Huh. Well, it looks like those who were disinfranchised by Persona 3's style changes may be back on board this time considering it looks like they want to do a return to the P2 style and story structure as well as nixing (lol pun) the Tarturus dungeon format in favor for the return of the multi dungeon adventure. And it looks like they are fighting in the streets too, so I guess it will be more like the older games.

View Profile   IP Logged
peep
Less Newbies

MegatenWiki
assistance

Reply #2 - 03/19/08 at 04:44:42

It seems they employ almost the same engine of P3...

Some info may be included in the MegatenWiki soon:

Starting Personae of 3 mains:
Main - Isanagi (a bad duplication to Thanatos from P3 imo)
Yousuke Hanamura - Jiraiya (the name should be very familiar to Naruto fans)
Chie Satonaka - Tomoe (Tomoe Gozen, to be precise. The historic female warrior in Japan)  

All of them are Japanese rather than the traditional Greek...

edit: though unsure, the miko-type long-hair girl, Yukiko's Persona could be Konohanasakuya-hime, judging by her battle cry at 13:19 in the PV.

« Last Edit: 03/19/08 at 19:10:44 by peep »  

In the name of the Father, the Son and the Mother Earth.
View Profile   IP Logged
Louis Cypher

Reply #3 - 03/19/08 at 11:14:35

I do hope they dont pull the same Lv. 90 Izanagi Custom bit.

View Profile   IP Logged
biggsyke

Kaneko Fan

Reply #4 - 03/19/08 at 13:19:12

Some info/screens at MagicBox.
http://www.the-magicbox.com/0803/game080318e.shtml

I'm excited!

View Profile   IP Logged
SHODAN

I Wub Nodens-Wodens

Reply #5 - 03/19/08 at 18:00:00

The weather schedule reminds me of Harvest Moon. I like Harvest Moon yeah, but imagining herding demons and stuff just made me giggle

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Spider Bike

Reply #6 - 03/19/08 at 18:17:21

Quote from peep on 03/19/08 at 04:44:42:
It seems they employ almost the same engine of P3...

Oh boy

Quote:
All of them are Japanese rather than the traditional Greek...

Like Persona one?

EDIT:Quote from 0kami7777 on 03/18/08 at 17:22:59:
Huh. Well, it looks like those who were disinfranchised by Persona 3's style changes may be back on board this time

Lolwut

View Profile   IP Logged
SHODAN

I Wub Nodens-Wodens

Reply #7 - 03/20/08 at 18:38:24

Disinfranchised is a funny word

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #8 - 03/24/08 at 23:02:54

Hm, the main character is really bland this time around.  Like... really bland.  At least the MP of P3 had blue hair/something bizarre to distinguish him from NPC designs, but honestly, whats the deal with this new kid?  

I also am not so enthusiastic about that bizarre bear-rodent robot thing that has its head ripped off in the trailer video.  In some of the screenshots, his face is along the side with other battling party members... which is irritating.  In others, he looks to be functioning as Fuuka did in P3.

Atlus has stated that it wants this game to be, "an RPG and a suspense drama at the same time," but I feel like adding bizarre, kitschy elements like this panda egg creature is just bad decision making by the designers.  They seem to have totally stopped engaging with Jungian philosophy at an intelligent level, and I'm a bit disappointed.  

Also, I preferred when the Velvet room had more continuity between games.  Elizabeth was a departure from the previous games, but that's probably because the old inhabitants of the Velvet Room, other than Igor, were no longer needed as their respective game elements had been removed.  Why is Elizabeth now replaced with this new tramp?  Igor certainly has made himself into quite the "daddy."

Has anyone stumbled upon a translation of the trailer into English?  That would be really useful to see what's up with Persona 4 at this point.

View Profile ErringArgonaut   IP Logged
Louis Cypher

Reply #9 - 03/24/08 at 23:09:10

Quote from Sir_Asura on 03/24/08 at 23:02:54:
Hm, the main character is really bland this time around.  Like... really bland.  At least the MP of P3 had blue hair/something bizarre to distinguish him from NPC designs, but honestly, whats the deal with this new kid?

,...Did you just say you approve of blue hair?

View Profile   IP Logged
Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #10 - 03/24/08 at 23:13:39

No, not really...  but compared to a main protagonist that's more bland than astronaut food, it's an improvement.

Spider Bike

Reply #11 - 03/24/08 at 23:29:23

Persona 4 sucks because the shit from Persona 3 that got introduced was popular enough to repeat. Welcome to animu land, where l's are r's, and everything is a celebration in mediocre stereotypes.

View Profile   IP Logged
Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #12 - 03/24/08 at 23:46:31

Well, you can't blame them for repeating what became a marketing success.  Although it has significantly changed the Persona series for those of us who played it pre-P3, the upside is that now there's a greater chance that all things Megaten will have a better chance at localization.  I doubt the attitude of P3 will seep into other branches of the Megaten franchise either, because generally developers choose to create subseries so they can experiment with different "moods" and ideas.  Personally, I think that it's unfortunate Atlus has decided to use the Persona franchise as the one that capitalizes on every teen gamer boy's unrequited wishes--to possess (super natural) power when they have none to speak of.  Persona 3 was successful for the same reason anything that puts the average high school kid on a world-saving quest is.  I suppose you could argue Nocturne functioned on a similar level, but not really in the same "super hero" vein that Persona does.  Junpei, case in point, is an effective character for a reason.  He literally represents the market Atlus targeted for the revamped Persona series.

I think I will probably still enjoy Persona 4.  I think I will find it to be empty like I found Persona 3 to be, but that all in all, it will be like "popcorn for my brain."  Atlus probably has been looking for a way to create an RPG series that can be pumped out to the same effect of the Tales of... series.  (Did anyone else notice that the same Nocturne polygons are being used in this game AGAIN?!  I believe it was an Oni that I saw in a screen shot or perhaps the trailer) I think that if that is their goal, they'll probably enjoy a lot of immediate success with Persona, but all the while risking alienating their previous fan base.

Spider Bike

Reply #13 - 03/25/08 at 01:09:53

Quote from Sir_Asura on 03/24/08 at 23:46:31:
Well, you can't blame them for repeating what became a marketing success. Although it has significantly changed the Persona series for those of us who played it pre-P3, the upside is that now there's a greater chance that all things Megaten will have a better chance at localization.

Yeah, like Persona 3 was a factor in raising localization chances for SMT games. The SMT series and its spin-offs are the closest thing ATLUS has to a cash cow, so no way in hell are they gonna cut the cord on it even if people stayed away from P3 in droves. Sure, P3 attracted new fans, but those people are superfluous anyway.

I really do hope they don't touch the SMT series with whatever the fuck they've been doing with Persona. Honestly though, I've lost faith in ATLUS, and I expect them to fuck up SMT just as much as the did P3

Quote from Alizarin on 03/24/08 at 23:29:23:
Welcome to animu land, where l's are r's, and everything is a celebration in mediocre stereotypes.

EDIT: And it sell.

View Profile   IP Logged
Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #14 - 03/25/08 at 01:46:23

Yeah, but its those superfluous players that count.  It's the people that say stupid shit on GameFAQs, like "Is this game as good as FFXII?" etc that represent the majority of the market.  I think Atlus realizes that SMT was for a niche market, and it made a self-realized move to alter Persona 3 to, in my opinion, reach a broader audience.  They achieved this goal.  If you remember when P3 was announced, Atlus said the game would be making significant departures from its predecessors.  They had given it enough time between P2 to make that change, and they chose Persona as the subseries to alter because it would be a bad decision to completely alienate the die hard faithfuls and destroy the heart of the megaten franchise by making it too fluffy.

So when you say SMT is the closest thing Atlus has to a cash cow, you are precisely right, and Atlus is capitalizing on this.  They really can't change the heart of the series without losing all credibility, but they have sacrificed Persona to create a cash cow.  It would not surprise me if we see a lot of Persona games and merchandise.  There's a formula Atlus has been adhering to with all of its SMT games of this generation, and the Persona formula has proven to be the biggest crowd pleaser.  Why wouldn't they punch out more games like this, and why wouldn't Atlus USA take this as a reason to /for sure/ localize each SMT game?  I think it's ironic people were half-convinced Atlus would not localize P3 due to the evokers, and that was going on a precedent of innocent sin never reaching our shores because it had homo activity and nazis.  Now the precedent has been firmly re-established, THROUGH PERSONA, that SMT as a whole and Persona specifically, will sell well in the United States.  

I think if the majority of Megaten games were as dark as say Nocturne and DDS, or if they all had content like Innocent Sin, we wouldn't see every single one over here.  Atlus really hasn't missed a beat since it experienced success with Nocturne and DDS, which could very well have been risks, since the majority of the market stateside, honestly, was not at all familiar with the franchise.  If Persona 3 hadn't done as well as it has done, if it hadn't for instance became a giant hit on GameFAQs, which in my opinion is a good litmus test for a game's success, do you think we'd be seeing FES?  

I mean, in the end, I think there are a lot of things going on here.  Perhaps an overall shift in the gaming industry as a whole.  I feel like a lot of people are dissatisfied with Persona 3 because of its general easiness to play through and vapid plot, yet out of all the games that have been released recently I can't think of any turn based RPGs that have posed any difficulty to me at all.  Long gone are the days of "old school" FF and Lunar EB.  I think people would be shocked to see a story boss as difficult as Borgan was in Lunar EB actually...

Nocturne (and DDS to a lesser extent) kind of had that old school brutality, but I think ever since gaming has become something that's more than just common but almost universal in households, developers have made games more universally controlled experiences.  There is little room for the "elite" and the "old guard" in gaming when there's a lot of cash to be made and a possibility to become a big player in a fast developing industry.  Why make games where only grinders and frenzied Koreans can be winners, when you, your six year old sister, and 50 year old impaired uncle can all be button mashing champions?  Equally, why make games that actually have deep plots and intriguing characters, when posing the facade of that sells equally as well, if not better, because most people are going to bite it, and think it's great.

I am /not/ saying I approve of this, but I am saying it's logical.  This fringes on the argument as to whether games are "art" or if they are just "designed commodities" for the household.  Atlus is, in my opinion, going to still deliver us artful games.   We're going to see stories like DDS again, and games that kick our ass as hard as Nocturne (and hopefully harder), but as a company, I think their priority is to develop a way to stand out in an industry where every year there's a chance to be bought out and go belly up.  Instead of seeing what happened with say, GameArts, which is now subservient to SquareEnix and has not produced a decent game in a decade, I want Atlus to have the marketing prowess and stability to give us the rare gem or two.

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 16
Send Topic Print