Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Megaten Haven the SMT Bulletin Board
04/23/24 at 07:42:00
News:
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Persona 4 (Read 56866 times)
Jin-kun
Newbies

We finally getting
fes

Persona 4
03/18/08 at 14:42:23

Its been confirmed guys now we just got to wait for it to be released state side  

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/persona/persona4/persona4.html

Email View Profile   IP Logged
0kami7777

I Love Jack Frost!

Re: Persona 4
Reply #1 - 03/18/08 at 17:22:59

Huh. Well, it looks like those who were disinfranchised by Persona 3's style changes may be back on board this time considering it looks like they want to do a return to the P2 style and story structure as well as nixing (lol pun) the Tarturus dungeon format in favor for the return of the multi dungeon adventure. And it looks like they are fighting in the streets too, so I guess it will be more like the older games.

View Profile   IP Logged
peep
Less Newbies

MegatenWiki
assistance

Reply #2 - 03/19/08 at 04:44:42

It seems they employ almost the same engine of P3...

Some info may be included in the MegatenWiki soon:

Starting Personae of 3 mains:
Main - Isanagi (a bad duplication to Thanatos from P3 imo)
Yousuke Hanamura - Jiraiya (the name should be very familiar to Naruto fans)
Chie Satonaka - Tomoe (Tomoe Gozen, to be precise. The historic female warrior in Japan)  

All of them are Japanese rather than the traditional Greek...

edit: though unsure, the miko-type long-hair girl, Yukiko's Persona could be Konohanasakuya-hime, judging by her battle cry at 13:19 in the PV.

« Last Edit: 03/19/08 at 19:10:44 by peep »  

In the name of the Father, the Son and the Mother Earth.
View Profile   IP Logged
Louis Cypher

Reply #3 - 03/19/08 at 11:14:35

I do hope they dont pull the same Lv. 90 Izanagi Custom bit.

View Profile   IP Logged
biggsyke

Kaneko Fan

Reply #4 - 03/19/08 at 13:19:12

Some info/screens at MagicBox.
http://www.the-magicbox.com/0803/game080318e.shtml

I'm excited!

View Profile   IP Logged
SHODAN

I Wub Nodens-Wodens

Reply #5 - 03/19/08 at 18:00:00

The weather schedule reminds me of Harvest Moon. I like Harvest Moon yeah, but imagining herding demons and stuff just made me giggle

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Spider Bike

Reply #6 - 03/19/08 at 18:17:21

Quote from peep on 03/19/08 at 04:44:42:
It seems they employ almost the same engine of P3...

Oh boy

Quote:
All of them are Japanese rather than the traditional Greek...

Like Persona one?

EDIT:Quote from 0kami7777 on 03/18/08 at 17:22:59:
Huh. Well, it looks like those who were disinfranchised by Persona 3's style changes may be back on board this time

Lolwut

View Profile   IP Logged
SHODAN

I Wub Nodens-Wodens

Reply #7 - 03/20/08 at 18:38:24

Disinfranchised is a funny word

Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #8 - 03/24/08 at 23:02:54

Hm, the main character is really bland this time around.  Like... really bland.  At least the MP of P3 had blue hair/something bizarre to distinguish him from NPC designs, but honestly, whats the deal with this new kid?  

I also am not so enthusiastic about that bizarre bear-rodent robot thing that has its head ripped off in the trailer video.  In some of the screenshots, his face is along the side with other battling party members... which is irritating.  In others, he looks to be functioning as Fuuka did in P3.

Atlus has stated that it wants this game to be, "an RPG and a suspense drama at the same time," but I feel like adding bizarre, kitschy elements like this panda egg creature is just bad decision making by the designers.  They seem to have totally stopped engaging with Jungian philosophy at an intelligent level, and I'm a bit disappointed.  

Also, I preferred when the Velvet room had more continuity between games.  Elizabeth was a departure from the previous games, but that's probably because the old inhabitants of the Velvet Room, other than Igor, were no longer needed as their respective game elements had been removed.  Why is Elizabeth now replaced with this new tramp?  Igor certainly has made himself into quite the "daddy."

Has anyone stumbled upon a translation of the trailer into English?  That would be really useful to see what's up with Persona 4 at this point.

View Profile ErringArgonaut   IP Logged
Louis Cypher

Reply #9 - 03/24/08 at 23:09:10

Quote from Sir_Asura on 03/24/08 at 23:02:54:
Hm, the main character is really bland this time around.  Like... really bland.  At least the MP of P3 had blue hair/something bizarre to distinguish him from NPC designs, but honestly, whats the deal with this new kid?

,...Did you just say you approve of blue hair?

View Profile   IP Logged
Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #10 - 03/24/08 at 23:13:39

No, not really...  but compared to a main protagonist that's more bland than astronaut food, it's an improvement.

Spider Bike

Reply #11 - 03/24/08 at 23:29:23

Persona 4 sucks because the shit from Persona 3 that got introduced was popular enough to repeat. Welcome to animu land, where l's are r's, and everything is a celebration in mediocre stereotypes.

View Profile   IP Logged
Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #12 - 03/24/08 at 23:46:31

Well, you can't blame them for repeating what became a marketing success.  Although it has significantly changed the Persona series for those of us who played it pre-P3, the upside is that now there's a greater chance that all things Megaten will have a better chance at localization.  I doubt the attitude of P3 will seep into other branches of the Megaten franchise either, because generally developers choose to create subseries so they can experiment with different "moods" and ideas.  Personally, I think that it's unfortunate Atlus has decided to use the Persona franchise as the one that capitalizes on every teen gamer boy's unrequited wishes--to possess (super natural) power when they have none to speak of.  Persona 3 was successful for the same reason anything that puts the average high school kid on a world-saving quest is.  I suppose you could argue Nocturne functioned on a similar level, but not really in the same "super hero" vein that Persona does.  Junpei, case in point, is an effective character for a reason.  He literally represents the market Atlus targeted for the revamped Persona series.

I think I will probably still enjoy Persona 4.  I think I will find it to be empty like I found Persona 3 to be, but that all in all, it will be like "popcorn for my brain."  Atlus probably has been looking for a way to create an RPG series that can be pumped out to the same effect of the Tales of... series.  (Did anyone else notice that the same Nocturne polygons are being used in this game AGAIN?!  I believe it was an Oni that I saw in a screen shot or perhaps the trailer) I think that if that is their goal, they'll probably enjoy a lot of immediate success with Persona, but all the while risking alienating their previous fan base.

Spider Bike

Reply #13 - 03/25/08 at 01:09:53

Quote from Sir_Asura on 03/24/08 at 23:46:31:
Well, you can't blame them for repeating what became a marketing success. Although it has significantly changed the Persona series for those of us who played it pre-P3, the upside is that now there's a greater chance that all things Megaten will have a better chance at localization.

Yeah, like Persona 3 was a factor in raising localization chances for SMT games. The SMT series and its spin-offs are the closest thing ATLUS has to a cash cow, so no way in hell are they gonna cut the cord on it even if people stayed away from P3 in droves. Sure, P3 attracted new fans, but those people are superfluous anyway.

I really do hope they don't touch the SMT series with whatever the fuck they've been doing with Persona. Honestly though, I've lost faith in ATLUS, and I expect them to fuck up SMT just as much as the did P3

Quote from Alizarin on 03/24/08 at 23:29:23:
Welcome to animu land, where l's are r's, and everything is a celebration in mediocre stereotypes.

EDIT: And it sell.

View Profile   IP Logged
Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #14 - 03/25/08 at 01:46:23

Yeah, but its those superfluous players that count.  It's the people that say stupid shit on GameFAQs, like "Is this game as good as FFXII?" etc that represent the majority of the market.  I think Atlus realizes that SMT was for a niche market, and it made a self-realized move to alter Persona 3 to, in my opinion, reach a broader audience.  They achieved this goal.  If you remember when P3 was announced, Atlus said the game would be making significant departures from its predecessors.  They had given it enough time between P2 to make that change, and they chose Persona as the subseries to alter because it would be a bad decision to completely alienate the die hard faithfuls and destroy the heart of the megaten franchise by making it too fluffy.

So when you say SMT is the closest thing Atlus has to a cash cow, you are precisely right, and Atlus is capitalizing on this.  They really can't change the heart of the series without losing all credibility, but they have sacrificed Persona to create a cash cow.  It would not surprise me if we see a lot of Persona games and merchandise.  There's a formula Atlus has been adhering to with all of its SMT games of this generation, and the Persona formula has proven to be the biggest crowd pleaser.  Why wouldn't they punch out more games like this, and why wouldn't Atlus USA take this as a reason to /for sure/ localize each SMT game?  I think it's ironic people were half-convinced Atlus would not localize P3 due to the evokers, and that was going on a precedent of innocent sin never reaching our shores because it had homo activity and nazis.  Now the precedent has been firmly re-established, THROUGH PERSONA, that SMT as a whole and Persona specifically, will sell well in the United States.  

I think if the majority of Megaten games were as dark as say Nocturne and DDS, or if they all had content like Innocent Sin, we wouldn't see every single one over here.  Atlus really hasn't missed a beat since it experienced success with Nocturne and DDS, which could very well have been risks, since the majority of the market stateside, honestly, was not at all familiar with the franchise.  If Persona 3 hadn't done as well as it has done, if it hadn't for instance became a giant hit on GameFAQs, which in my opinion is a good litmus test for a game's success, do you think we'd be seeing FES?  

I mean, in the end, I think there are a lot of things going on here.  Perhaps an overall shift in the gaming industry as a whole.  I feel like a lot of people are dissatisfied with Persona 3 because of its general easiness to play through and vapid plot, yet out of all the games that have been released recently I can't think of any turn based RPGs that have posed any difficulty to me at all.  Long gone are the days of "old school" FF and Lunar EB.  I think people would be shocked to see a story boss as difficult as Borgan was in Lunar EB actually...

Nocturne (and DDS to a lesser extent) kind of had that old school brutality, but I think ever since gaming has become something that's more than just common but almost universal in households, developers have made games more universally controlled experiences.  There is little room for the "elite" and the "old guard" in gaming when there's a lot of cash to be made and a possibility to become a big player in a fast developing industry.  Why make games where only grinders and frenzied Koreans can be winners, when you, your six year old sister, and 50 year old impaired uncle can all be button mashing champions?  Equally, why make games that actually have deep plots and intriguing characters, when posing the facade of that sells equally as well, if not better, because most people are going to bite it, and think it's great.

I am /not/ saying I approve of this, but I am saying it's logical.  This fringes on the argument as to whether games are "art" or if they are just "designed commodities" for the household.  Atlus is, in my opinion, going to still deliver us artful games.   We're going to see stories like DDS again, and games that kick our ass as hard as Nocturne (and hopefully harder), but as a company, I think their priority is to develop a way to stand out in an industry where every year there's a chance to be bought out and go belly up.  Instead of seeing what happened with say, GameArts, which is now subservient to SquareEnix and has not produced a decent game in a decade, I want Atlus to have the marketing prowess and stability to give us the rare gem or two.

OneWingedSin
Less Newbies

I love Philemon!

Reply #15 - 03/27/08 at 03:47:30

*crosses fingers*
*mumbles under his breath* pleasenocrappydatingsimpleasenoeverydungeonlookstheexactsamepleasenocrappydating
sim

and PLEASE don't let this be a 'prequel' to trinity soul (notes the character in black hair and glasses).

Apparently gone are the days where story was actually intrieguing enough to move the game along instead of a rolling date >.<

Man, I miss the dark settings of the previous games where there was no 'happy land' to run back to. Games where the story moved along well without feeling contrived and forced.

*cries* stupid 'dating sim' garbage is back. Heaven forbid you could just be an ass through the whole game and get powerful without giving a crap about your classmates. Will still get it, but I figure I'll cheat for the persona levels, since I REALLY don't give a crap about other people's lives in a game (especially since they don't mean jack [frost] to the plot).

« Last Edit: 03/27/08 at 13:59:25 by OneWingedSin »  
MutheSquirrel

Hanged Man

Reply #16 - 04/15/08 at 16:42:42

I wasn't really a big fan of Persona 3... I at least expected original dungeons at full moons but didn't even get that... infact battling in general was only about 5% of the game. The game offered "fake" freedom in that you really had to do things in a certain order even if it made it look like you had choice. @@ But... at least the AI was better than that in DS: Raidou Kuzunoha... I'm kinda' sad that so far Persona 4 looks like a clone.

You know, I'd much MUCH rather see Shin Megami Tensei IV than Persona 4. What ever happened with the Persona remake on the PSP anyway?

I dream of the day Vegetable Lamb turns up in a Megaten game... ;-;
Email View Profile MutheSquirrel lordclaws   IP Logged
Spider Bike

Reply #17 - 04/15/08 at 21:37:04

Quote from MutheSquirrel on 04/15/08 at 16:42:42:
You know, I'd much MUCH rather see Shin Megami Tensei IV than Persona 4. What ever happened with the Persona remake on the PSP anyway?

I think I said earlier I'd rather they not make a SMT4, because god knows how badly they'll fuck it up. As for the psp Persona, I think no one told them they were supposed to be working on it or something, so it got scrapped.

View Profile   IP Logged
MutheSquirrel

Hanged Man

Reply #18 - 04/16/08 at 07:13:13

Quote from Alizarin on 04/15/08 at 21:37:04:

I think I said earlier I'd rather they not make a SMT4, because god knows how badly they'll fuck it up. As for the psp Persona, I think no one told them they were supposed to be working on it or something, so it got scrapped.

Lucifer's Call was good, I don't think you can realy base the next part of the main series to the outcome of its spin-offs... With that said it seemed like SMTIII was watered down compared to SMT and SMTII. Needs more Nuclear wars, corrupted Americans and devoured mothers. =P Plus, at the end of the day, if you don't like a game you just don't play it.. it's not like it would effect the games before it.

I woulda' liked the first Persona games to hit the PSP and make it over here. Cos, you know, they were actually "good"...

Louis Cypher

Reply #19 - 04/16/08 at 08:29:45

Quote from MutheSquirrel on 04/16/08 at 07:13:13:
Quote from Alizarin on 04/15/08 at 21:37:04:

Needs more Nuclear wars, corrupted Americans and devoured mothers. =P Plus, at the end of the day, if you don't like a game you just don't play it.. it's not like it would effect the games before it.

...Meaning it needs more stupidity? What? Atlus is already retardedly West-phobic, I see no reason to continue the trend.

View Profile   IP Logged
MutheSquirrel

Hanged Man

Reply #20 - 04/16/08 at 11:45:01

Meaning it needs to be darker and less PC. -.- Closer to the books and the original games. I'd hardly say Atlus is West-phobic, they just choose to release a style of game that other much larger companies don't have the balls to in case they don't sell well enough... if they were phobic, they wouldn't release them at all. xD It's hardly an insult to *gasp* have a bad guy from another country, is it? If anything it was rather Japanophobic or Teutophobic to turn away Persona 2 because it had Hitler in it.. BUT times have changed and it's thanks largly to Atlus, Koei and other smaller companies we can even get games with such a strong Japanese feel such as SMT or Disgaea.

But this is beside the point! The topic is meant to be about Persona 4.

Louis Cypher

Reply #21 - 04/16/08 at 18:15:20

..You do realize that one of the notable big reasons for P2: IS's canning was due to the simple fact that were it fully translated (I'm interested in the evidence that it was close to completion ala Soul Hackers) it would have been released close to Columbine? And there's a principal killing scene? Use your brain.

None of what you described is 'dark' or requires balls to release in any way, Japan's been sending over dumb crap with subtly anti-Western themes for years. Atlus is just more overt about it, and brainless teens and hipsters just gobble it up as 'dark' and 'mature', dumb as they are. SMT is neither of those things, it panders to a retarded, teenage, anti-authority, JAPAN 4 EVAR mentality. The sides of Law and Chaos are hardly presented in a fair manner for example. There is absolutely nothing mature about Persona 3 when you consider the most mature thing about it is Mara.

Understand what I'm saying before you make a response like that again please.

View Profile   IP Logged
MutheSquirrel

Hanged Man

Reply #22 - 04/16/08 at 18:31:51

My my, you hardly sound like you even LIKE Megaten. Hmm.. Oh well, you seem to be getting annoyed -for some reason- over the whole thing, and I'm reeeaally not here to argue or make enemies over something as trivial as a video game. =P I'm here to chat with the fans, no more no less, so just forget it, k? We'll agree that I want a fourth and you don't. Isn't freedom of thought a wonderful thing?

Spider Bike

Reply #23 - 04/16/08 at 20:15:00

Uh oh, he played agree to disagree card! Your "goose" is cooked, so to speak

View Profile   IP Logged
SHODAN

I Wub Nodens-Wodens

Reply #24 - 04/17/08 at 01:13:19

Quote from MutheSquirrel on 04/16/08 at 18:31:51:
My my, you hardly sound like you even LIKE Megaten. Hmm..

Nah he's alot like me with Phoenix Wright.

Love the series, hate Edgeworth. And hate 90% of the fans 'cause they're mostly females masturbating over Phoenix and Edgeworth having KAWAII BUTTSECHS. So yeah, it's why I stay away from all PW messageboards. Nothing wrong with pointing out flaws in a series you like, at least that means you're not a blind drooling fanboy.

Quote:
There is absolutely nothing mature about Persona 3 when you consider the most mature thing about it is Mara.

Is this the...wait no what is Mara

Anyways I quite like Persona 2 for instance, at least the main game. Not alot of excess, which is great. "Nuclear wars, corrupted Americans and devoured mothers" is certainly excess and seems parody more than a videogame. I watch DBZ if I want shit like that

Louis Cypher

Reply #25 - 04/17/08 at 02:03:59

Mara is the penis with a mouth on a chariot.

View Profile   IP Logged
MutheSquirrel

Hanged Man

Reply #26 - 04/17/08 at 07:25:01

Actually I mostly like the series for the demons/deities/beasts. I likes my mythology~ Plus I can't really think of any females in the whole series worth drooling over... hmm... my friend Cat likes the Incubus! I don't think that's for his looks though.

I saw Mara on Youtube in Devil Summoner. Sure are a lot of penis demons in the series... Mishaguji is a better penis though. Mostly for the way he does his "emission" attack. Heheheh

Eikichi Girl

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #27 - 04/25/08 at 22:53:34

So....about Persona 4  Tongue  Can anyone actually understand what they're saying in the trailer because I can't.

And I'd really love to know.

RMarques

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #28 - 04/30/08 at 09:27:50

Quote from MutheSquirrel on 04/16/08 at 11:45:01:
Meaning it needs to be darker and less PC. -.- Closer to the books

You mean you want the Megaten games to be poorly written, gory for the sake of being gory, crap? Because that's what the books are.  Well, ok, I'm not that far on the second one yet, but if the first one is of any indication...

Quote from OneWingedSin on 03/27/08 at 03:47:30:

Apparently gone are the days where story was actually intrieguing enough to move the game along instead of a rolling date >.<

No, they're not gone, we're just getting more crap along with the gold. Now, you actually have to be careful with what you chose. Add some elitism by the people that have been around for a longer time, and some... Lack of maturity, by those that didn't join until late, and you have the current generation of gaming.

« Last Edit: 04/30/08 at 13:41:59 by RMarques »  
Kanzato
Less Newbies

I <3 Jack Frost!

Reply #29 - 04/30/08 at 10:27:16

With a few glorious exceptions who can enjoy most/all the games for what they are without whining about them on a forum.

RMarques

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #30 - 04/30/08 at 13:39:50

Quote from Kanzato on 04/30/08 at 10:27:16:
With a few glorious exceptions who can enjoy most/all the games for what they are without whining about them on a forum.

I'm more surprised by how people can complain on how much a game sucks/will suck, and get it anyway.

Kanzato
Less Newbies

I <3 Jack Frost!

Reply #31 - 04/30/08 at 20:25:17

Haha, that is indeed quite scary!

Eikichi Girl

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #32 - 05/01/08 at 22:17:44

So um.....about the actual game at  hand. Do we know any new details about it? What's everyone's feelings about the trailer?

Kanzato
Less Newbies

I <3 Jack Frost!

Reply #33 - 05/02/08 at 01:22:05

I'm hoping this one will have more of an Eternal Punishment feel. Let's hope the game is not just P3 with new colors.

Eikichi Girl

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #34 - 05/02/08 at 20:18:29

Well it does feature a unique premise. Looking at the trailer, the corpse's position is reminiscent of the the position of the Hanging Man in any interpretation of the Arcanum. Maybe that means the murders are connected to the Major Arcana? Also, while the dungeons are unique, I'ved read on a translator's blog that "Tartarus" is replaced by a tv studio. So while in a sense they're supposed to be unique, I can't help but feel like it's just the same concept. (Which I loved anyway).

Also: Yay for Jiraiya!   Mickey Mouse persona+character reminiscent of Junpei = win.  

Edit- 5/2/08

Kuma's (the bear thing) persona was added to the website.

« Last Edit: 05/03/08 at 18:28:31 by Eikichi Girl »  
theanimeguy
Newbies

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #35 - 05/06/08 at 13:59:50

I have played Nocturn and P3-FES, and i have to say that Persona 3 is a fine game in my opinion, I would say that Nocturn is better overall, but Persona 3 is a great game in my opinion.

So far i like the storyline, the art is good, the persona/shadows are interesting to look at and are well designed, the music is GREAT, and overall its just a good game. I dont find the game Difficult, but i dont exactly think its easy either (maybe cuz im playin on hard mode).

But thats just my opinion.

agent-fisher
Less Newbies

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #36 - 05/06/08 at 15:41:58

I think that the story of P3 is very good. It's well written, has trouble with pacing though but that was unavoidable due to the day-after-day gameplay. I also liked the characters more that in any other RPG because they were not anime cliches and had good dialogue that sounded like something actual teenagers would say.  

Overall P3 is a very unique game. I don't understand why many people hate the date-sim elements as they very softcore and simple.

I am looking forward to P4. Also does anyone know it's relation to P3? If there's any that is?

Eikichi Girl

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #37 - 05/06/08 at 22:29:11

Quote from agent-fisher on 05/06/08 at 15:41:58:
I think that the story of P3 is very good. It's well written, has trouble with pacing though but that was unavoidable due to the day-after-day gameplay. I also liked the characters more that in any other RPG because they were not anime cliches and had good dialogue that sounded like something actual teenagers would say.

Overall P3 is a very unique game. I don't understand why many people hate the date-sim elements as they very softcore and simple.

I am looking forward to P4. Also does anyone know it's relation to P3? If there's any that is?  

It takes place in the same universe (two years later), hence the appearance of shadows as the main enemy. Nothing is actually know about the plot outside of the general set-up, so who knows how much crossover exists?  

So would anyone have a problem with me setting up a general FAQ page for P4? It awalys cuts down the number of repetitive questions, and we don't seem to have one.

Spider Bike

Reply #38 - 05/09/08 at 13:06:11

not anime cliches

Lol wut

View Profile   IP Logged
MutheSquirrel

Hanged Man

Reply #39 - 05/09/08 at 14:35:28

I don't understand why many people hate the date-sim elements as they very softcore and simple.

I don't hate them, I hate the fact that if they're not done in an exact order that requires a GUIDE to know you can't have them all in the same game. The fact that it requires you to do things in a very linear and forced way makes it the least free-style RPG there is. On top of that, anything that "requires" a guide to beat is bad in my book, a flaw in many of the recent Megaten ultimate opt. bosses of late.

I also don't like that there's pretty much just one continuous dungeon. The places you go during the full moons are very short at the very least. They oculda' done a lot more with them...

Remove either of these elements and the game'd jump quite a few ranks for me.

Oh, but I think the thing I miss the most is the level of demon interactivity you had in Persona 2. In 2 you had to talk to demons as much as fight them for more reasons than I care to list. Even your Persona would sometimes interact with them. When I heard there was a Persona 3 being made I really looked foward to that level of ally/enemy interacting since the last few games had almost nill. Even Nocturne's was very watered down compared.

agent-fisher
Less Newbies

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #40 - 05/09/08 at 16:34:43

Quote from Alizarin on 05/09/08 at 13:06:11:
not anime cliches

Lol wut

Less cliched that any other JRPG. (Save for Nocturne - but there's not really that much character-wise going on in there)
Quote:

you can't have them all in the same game

I think that's kinda the point.  

Although I agree about the watering down of the demon interaction (sounds very cool even though I haven't played P2)

MutheSquirrel

Hanged Man

Reply #41 - 05/09/08 at 17:08:57

You CAN have them all in the same game, just not without using a guide and doing exactly the right thing on every day. But even without trying to get them all, you're very very restricted with your time.

With a little more freedom in that respect I'd be uber happy, as the actual social links don't bother me (they're actually kinda' fun).

Well... other than the fact he cheats with like, five girls. Reminds me of a GTA "hero". Plus ALL the girls are so damn shy! Even the cool and collect one (you know who I mean) ends up a shy, blushing mess by rank 10. Really, what's so wrong with strong women? =/

Louis Cypher

Reply #42 - 05/09/08 at 18:19:03

It's a Japanese desire, what do you expect? They want their women to be that way.

There's even a term for it... Yamoto something... sheninzaiu? Something.

View Profile   IP Logged
MutheSquirrel

Hanged Man

Reply #43 - 05/09/08 at 18:33:24

Quote from Tallgeese on 05/09/08 at 18:19:03:
It's a Japanese desire, what do you expect? They want their women to be that way.

There's even a term for it... Yamoto something... sheninzaiu? Something.

Very true... but still, just one strong female character would have been nice.

Eikichi Girl

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #44 - 05/09/08 at 21:27:25

Quote from MutheSquirrel on 05/09/08 at 14:35:28:

I don't hate them, I hate the fact that if they're not done in an exact order that requires a GUIDE to know you can't have them all in the same game. The fact that it requires you to do things in a very linear and forced way makes it the least free-style RPG there is. On top of that, anything that "requires" a guide to beat is bad in my book, a flaw in many of the recent Megaten ultimate opt. bosses of late.

Oh, but I think the thing I miss the most is the level of demon interactivity you had in Persona 2. In 2 you had to talk to demons as much as fight them for more reasons than I care to list. Even your Persona would sometimes interact with them. When I heard there was a Persona 3 being made I really looked foward to that level of ally/enemy interacting since the last few games had almost nill. Even Nocturne's was very watered down compared.

I agree that a little more freedom would've been nice,but maxing all the social links in one playthrough is a purely replay kinda challenge. My first time through, I only maxed like 8. The game never expects you to beat them all. That's like the equivalent of trying to get every pokemon in one game.  As far as the demon contacts, it's a nice feature, but by making it a bit of an exclusive to the main SMT titles, it also in turn makes the Persona series a little different.  

Also: Yukiko has a new video under her section, and I believe the keyword section has been updated today as well. Yukiko's update is interesting because she seems to be acting as a host to the Midnight Television we've heard so much about. On top of that, she runs into area where Shadows are likely to appear. Which makes me wonder...

Do the victims realize that they're in danger?

MutheSquirrel

Hanged Man

Reply #45 - 05/09/08 at 22:40:28

But see, if you wanted all Pokemon you still wouldn't "need" a guide to do it... I don't like games that don't give you the information required to do something yourself, as getting them all in one game would be the "ultimate goal".

Anyway, I see your point, but originally in the Persona series talking to demons was far more important than it was in SMT. If anything they've made it less original with the "fusing demons" rather than the tarot card system of of the originals.

But in P2 to name but a few things you needed to talk to demons to make them curious to get cards, make them happy to obtain rumours, information, items, move barriers in some dungeons, power up your final weapons, create and power up special summon spells and other things. Whats more combos of your characters lead to different ways of talking to the demons from fortune telling to intimidating to make them happy, scared, angry or curious. As you can tell you that it was FAR more advanced than the simple talks in the main series.

Of course none of that can work when all your enemies are shadows and their arcanum never goes above "death". =P

agent-fisher
Less Newbies

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #46 - 05/10/08 at 14:47:59

Quote:
I don't like games that don't give you the information required to do something yourself

Well, SMT games are like that. Especially in the BOSS-department. Just remember the bosses of Nocturne and DDS.  

MutheSquirrel

Hanged Man

Reply #47 - 05/10/08 at 16:32:37

The bosses in Nocturne were hard, but not at all unbeatable without a guide. But the two ultimate bosses of the DDS series are an exellent example of badly made "guide only" bosses. Especially Satan, which was ridiculous to the extreme. Demi-Fiend and Satan are the only bosses I've had to beat using a guide.

And that is a BAD thing.

Louis Cypher

Reply #48 - 05/10/08 at 20:57:23

What? Demifiend is worse than Satan. Satan doesn't autokill you based on pure luck.

View Profile   IP Logged
MutheSquirrel

Hanged Man

Reply #49 - 05/11/08 at 06:50:09

Well while he was a cheaper (and somewhat harder) fight, you MIGHT have a very off chance of thinking about Null Sleep... maybe. The Satan fight would require you to know his full HP amount and at which point he'll recover ALL his HP, even expecting you to pain-stakingly sit there with as damn calculator inputting ever inch of damage you cause. You'd also 'have' to know what it is that stops him using his ultimate attack, which of course isn't hinted at at all. And then there's the death skill based on agility...

So see, I wasn't calling Satan a harder (or cheaper) fight than Demi-Fiend, just one that was far more reliant on you using a guide.

Eikichi Girl

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #50 - 05/11/08 at 15:42:01

They were both ridiculous. What was the reward for Demi-fiend anyway? I can't really recall it. Also, to keep this thread on topic, if one goes to youtube, they'll find a slurry of new videos related to Persona 4 showing more of the characters.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ko3EC5RvMIw

I don't know why, but everyone seems to think that one of the characters looks like Raidou. However, I think his appearance is only mildly similar. His hat looks more like a tradesman cap, not a police cap. Also, I like the conceptual design of the trailer. It reminds me of Persona 3's trailer.

MutheSquirrel

Hanged Man

Reply #51 - 05/11/08 at 16:06:23

Hmm... I remember there being a loose link between the Kuzunoha line and Persona in Persona 2 (the detective agency) but would they bring it so late given the new "style" of Persona games? I dunno, prolly just shares the looks due to same designers and such. Looks are bound to start repeating themselves over time~

I'll kinda' miss the "greek" themed main Persona which seems to have switched to Japanese. Ah well, no matter, nothing major. =P Lets see some Lovecraft monsters back though~! For shits and giggles.

Apollo62
Less Newbies

DELETE!!

Reply #52 - 05/11/08 at 23:07:56

Wait, did anyone notice that one guy looks like Raidou Kuzunoha? Well the hat looks familiar. And I couldn't help but notice the girl with the microphone. A famous Idol on the team!? I don't care what anyone says, I'm excited!

Apollo62
Less Newbies

DELETE!!

Reply #53 - 05/11/08 at 23:19:40

Whoops, guess  I forgot to keep reading after the link! But I'd like to think there will be some sort of Devil Summoner connection. Todoraki(sp?) was of the DS Line, so why can't this guy? It would have a taste of old Persona, and that's what everyone want's isn't it?  And once more " famous Idol"!? I don't know why, but it makes me giddy!

biggsyke

Kaneko Fan

Reply #54 - 05/13/08 at 12:10:03

http://www.the-magicbox.com/0805/game080512b.shtml

New character, Kanji. Reminds me of Sid Davis. Silver hair, glasses, scar on face instead of star...

View Profile   IP Logged
citizen zero
Less Newbies

I love blastbeat!!!

Reply #55 - 05/14/08 at 07:48:50

Huh, steel chairs?

and the Idol will crush enemies` skulls with a microphone, I presume?

View Profile   IP Logged
Eikichi Girl

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #56 - 05/14/08 at 20:22:33

I don't think the red-head is an actual idol. I've always stuck with the believe that the characters are trapped in some wierdo trance, which is why Yukiko runs right into a shadow infested area in her second trailer on the official website. Also, I'm loving Kanji because he's like Shinjiro, who should've been more prominent in Persona 3.

Also, if anyone happens to know a link to the song, that'd be, you know, AWESOME. It's stuck in my head.

agent-fisher
Less Newbies

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #57 - 05/15/08 at 15:38:16

God, I hated Shinjiro so much... typical stock-character and badly written if I may add.

Eikichi Girl

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #58 - 05/15/08 at 19:59:08

If they'd given him much more development then he could've been more. You'd think FES would've expanded on his back story with Akihiko more.

Eikichi Girl

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #59 - 05/16/08 at 21:15:32

I'll double post and add this update: Kanji is now on the character section with his persona.

http://p4.atlusnet.jp/chara/chara06-1.html

RMarques

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #60 - 05/19/08 at 09:22:06

More stuff from the Atlus Express (taken from gamefaqs)

It seems that:

SEES members and Trinity Soul characters don't appear but we can hear their rumor in this game.

Some female Social Links diverge lovers or best friends.

Improving AI's algorithm and can also control them ourselves.

Multiple endings but need not restart from the beginning.

http://www.atlusnet.jp/express/0805/p4_01.html

Oh, and in other news, some other information seems to hint that Kanji is actually gay.

« Last Edit: 05/19/08 at 11:32:00 by RMarques »  
Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #61 - 05/19/08 at 16:52:20

That would be refreshing.  A gay character who is actually masculine.

Apollo62
Less Newbies

DELETE!!

Reply #62 - 05/19/08 at 21:38:25

Hail to that bro! I wanna see a gay char. bash some heads, not fight with flowers Tongue

RMarques

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #63 - 05/20/08 at 05:07:50

I don't know, I personally think that a giant Venus Fly Trap would be a pretty badass weapon...

But given that these are JRPGs we're talking about, by "flower" they probably mean a rose or something along those lines. >_> <_<

Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #64 - 05/20/08 at 22:25:23

Having researched this rumor more, I am going to actually be seriously disappointed if his shadow form is not an indication of shame over his sexuality, etc.  It would be a refreshing, /realistic/, representation of a (closeted) homosexual.  If this game is aiming to be like a television serial, then it would make sense to capitalize on the homosexual "episode" / craze that is in an increasing number of shows.  

On a side note, thank god they are doing something intelligent with the shadows.  This is how the shadow should be represented.  As the dark interior to a person's soul in contrast to the shielding exterior--the persona.  They can keep all the high school bullshit they want as long as this simply dichotomy keeps its integrity.  Persona 2 played with it; Persona 3 incorporated it only in name, adding to its vapid and indolent method of story-telling.

RMarques

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #65 - 05/21/08 at 05:41:08

Realistic Portrayals of homosexuality on a teenager? In MY Japanese entertainment?  

Awesome  Cheesy

Seriously now, if it does turn out to be that way, then Persona 4 may very well have the best portrayal of a homosexuality in Japanese entertainment. Given that the closest thing that I can think of is Gravitation, whose discussion of the character's homosexuality consisted of them banging eachother then going all "OMGZ, I'M NOT GAY!!", that's major progress.

Choooo

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #66 - 05/21/08 at 11:43:35

Considering how realistically P3 portrayed suicide, I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you.

View Profile   IP Logged
Apollo62
Less Newbies

DELETE!!

Reply #67 - 05/21/08 at 16:40:28

You know, I kinda agree. Don't get me wrong, I'd love for there to be a gay char. that breaks stereotypes with an interesting story concerning his sexuality, but I can't help thinking that maybe everyone has read to much into this. I mean what proof do we really have? His shadow form? That's not enough for me. I could be totally wrong, and if so I'd be happy trust me, but do you understand what I mean?

Eikichi Girl

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #68 - 05/21/08 at 21:54:41

Quote from Apollo62 on 05/21/08 at 16:40:28:
You know, I kinda agree. Don't get me wrong, I'd love for there to be a gay char. that breaks stereotypes with an interesting story concerning his sexuality, but I can't help thinking that maybe everyone has read to much into this. I mean what proof do we really have? His shadow form? That's not enough for me. I could be totally wrong, and if so I'd be happy trust me, but do you understand what I mean?

Isn't it from the interview that RMarques posted? That's all that we have as "proof" short of the game's actual japanese release. I agree the gay closeted angle could really work well with the themes we see building in the game. I just hope it isn't the enitre focus of his story if that's true. I'd hate for him to become one-dimensional.  

Yay for controlling characters in the party! I wonder though, will they keep the One-More system? If they did, it'd basically make the game waaaay too easy.

Also, this is from the Gamespot forums. The apparent translation of the latest Famitsu scans.

- There's a rumor that states when you look into a TV at midnight, you see what your real desires are and your inner personality. Basically, what you secretly want to be like.

- Dungeons seem to be based around each character's TV channel (ie: inner desire), with the boss shadow being the physical representation of the character's "inner persona". Examples:

-The Hotel Heiress' channel depicted her in a princess dress, acting cutesy and a little seductive with lots of outward emotion. This clashes with her family raising her to be a proper woman to take over the business when she grows up.

-Kanji's "shadow boss" shows him nude, in roses, and holding two of the the male gender symbols in both hands. This obviously clashes with his tough-guy looking attitude, and also hints that Kanji is actually gay.

- This time around, everyone close to you is connected to a commu. Including the guys in your group. Also new, is choosing whether you want to be best friends with someone or to be intimate (as opposed to Persona 3's "having 5 girlfriends at once". My friend translating said he wasn't sure if that meant that you could date the boys in your group as well, but it very well may be possible.

- Party members can be set to be MANUALLY CONTROLLED.

- The pop star is rumored to be "the navigator" of the group, because she is the only one that hasn't been seen in battle clips.

If the first part is true, then my belief that red-head isn't an idol is true. Wonder what MC's "inner desire" would be? I hope that we as players can influence that.

Apollo62
Less Newbies

DELETE!!

Reply #69 - 05/22/08 at 00:33:17

I tried to read the interview, but when translated it read like gibberish. If it says he's gay or hints at it than I believe you, plus these games are all about the symbolism so I guess you can't argue with that shadow boss. I agree with you about his story. If it's just a gay coming of age tale then that would be a little cliche, but I'll be happy with any story about a cool gay guy 'cause I can't remember the last time I saw one in a video game. Well I guess Jun was kinda cool, but only as The Joker. When he was a regular guy he was just plain old gay(Flowers!? Come on!). I also fervantly believe that Kiros from FFVIII was gay, they just didn't make a big deal out of it because it wasn't important to the story, and I can't really say he was cool either.

As for the Idol, I'd really like for her to be a Pop star, but I get the whole dungeon thing. It would make sense, but in the one video it shows them in real life. Riding a bike, in an elevator and modeling, and it shows her in concert! So I think she just might be an Idol in real life. If she's the navigator though, I'm gonna be disapointed. I wanna see her kick ass, then again as the navigator she technically would be in EVERY battle so as long as she's got a good voice actor that would be cool. I just don't like Kuma, he needs to stay on the sidelines! He might change my opinion when I start playing, but he is certainly no Koro-chan!

Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #70 - 05/22/08 at 02:00:17

Yeah, either this game is absolutely moronic in thinking that there's anything else to read into Kanji's shadow form, or he's completely a closet case.  

As for the idol, I don't think we should assume she is the navigator.  That bear thing, kuma, has been seen appearing where Fuuka did during battles as well as participating in battle.  I think that there's no reason that the game will make one character completely useless and non-combative.  I just think we haven't gotten to see the "idol" character because she's probably like ken and koromaru and kind of secondary to the main cast.  I mean we didn't really know much if anything about ken for a really long time.  We were all like wtf is that little boy doing in all these trailers?

Apollo62
Less Newbies

DELETE!!

Reply #71 - 05/22/08 at 07:13:55

That would be pretty cool. If you could have two navigators to switch around when needed, if thats what your implying. It is kinda early to be assuming that she won't fight, but we have seen devil summoner guy fighting and that was way before they introduced him. Kanji too. I just hope your right. For some reason the idea of an Idol on the team gets me going. I just like the idea of someone famous bieng apart of some bigger picture, and fighting!

Quote:
Seriously now, if it does turn out to be that way, then Persona 4 may very well have the best portrayal of a homosexuality in Japanese entertainment. Given that the closest thing that I can think of is Gravitation, whose discussion of the character's homosexuality consisted of them banging eachother then going all "OMGZ, I'M NOT GAY!!", that's major progress.

lol, I agree on both points. It would be a nice/ accurate(hopefully) portrayal, but kanji banging some ass might be entertaining. The again yaoi was never really my thing, and it certainly has no place in a video game that's being marketed to the general public!

Quote:
On a side note, thank god they are doing something intelligent with the shadows.  This is how the shadow should be represented.  As the dark interior to a person's soul in contrast to the shielding exterior--the persona.  They can keep all the high school bullshit they want as long as this simply dichotomy keeps its integrity.  Persona 2 played with it; Persona 3 incorporated it only in name, adding to its vapid and indolent method of story-telling.

I'll second that man! I miss the shadow bosses, they were chillingly evil, and I loved it! There was def some insightful dialogue in those fights. To see your char. evil sides was defenitly interesting, but I don't care what anybody says I loved P3. Sure it had it's flaws, but I still enjoyed it. The social links / moon phases were def. monotnous over time but overall any Persona over no persona is good for me!

Eikichi Girl

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #72 - 05/22/08 at 20:55:13

I don't know, I still side with the idea of Kuma being the Mitsuru to Idol's Fuuka. Maybe he acts as the navigator in the beginning, but like Mitsuru attempts to be more pro-active in fighting the shadows? We've seen everyone, but her in combat now, so either she is really secondary to the story, or she's this game's navigator. I hope so, because I don't want a Fuuka 2.0, who's shy and lacks confidence, etc.

Apollo62
Less Newbies

DELETE!!

Reply #73 - 05/23/08 at 03:25:33

Well, I guess you were right. Look up top around 1:32.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AheFibutRAw

citizen zero
Less Newbies

I love blastbeat!!!

Reply #74 - 05/23/08 at 12:19:55

"...well, making MC date boys in your party would be totally, totally refreshing..."

This stuff kinda gives me the creeps. I mean, Jun turned out to be gay, but when i was playing P2EP i never had a thought about him being one. And focusing some parts of the storyline on this homostuff is sort of promoting homosexualism imho. down with you, yaoi lover girls )

i just hope it`s a good old fake Wink

View Profile   IP Logged
Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #75 - 05/23/08 at 12:50:24

Quote:
Quote:
"...well, making MC date boys in your party would be totally, totally refreshing..."

This stuff kinda gives me the creeps. I mean, Jun turned out to be gay, but when i was playing P2EP i never had a thought about him being one. And focusing some parts of the storyline on this homostuff is sort of promoting homosexualism imho. down with you, yaoi lover girls )

Were you just serious?  I can respect your discomfort around homosexuals, but honestly, what the hell were you even saying?  Homosexualism?  That's not a word.  Promoting homosexualsim?  Where are you from?  The Bible Belt?  Sorry to burst your bubble, but /homosexuality/ is just a reality.  If someone misinformed you that it was an invention of the 20th century, they're only half right as it was only then recognized as a sexual orientation, which in fact, just added to its stigma.  There's nothing to promote.  People get off in different ways; that's how the world is, and the game would be engineered around player choice meaning unless secret gay desires bubbled up in your playthrough you could date any of the "hot chicks" in the game.

citizen zero
Less Newbies

I love blastbeat!!!

Reply #76 - 05/23/08 at 13:13:43

i wanted to wright something about "have you noticed gays arranging parades and all this stuff to show the world how they are proud of their choice blah blah blah and straight guys not doing anything like that" but i don`t like faggots at all and i`m tired of speaking about gays already.

*electricity cuts off*

so
homosexuality is gay. (c)

View Profile   IP Logged
RMarques

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #77 - 05/23/08 at 15:41:15

Quote from citizen zero on 05/23/08 at 12:19:55:

This stuff kinda gives me the creeps. I mean, Jun turned out to be gay, but when i was playing P2EP i never had a thought about him being one.

*gasp!* Homosexuals being just like the Average Joe down the lane? Preposterous!  

Seriously though, the minute I saw the P2IS's character designs, I could tell immediately which one was Jun. Maybe it's just because I'm familiar with yaoi and the way the Japanese usually do these kind of things, but come on, he just screams fangirl bait.

Louis Cypher

Reply #78 - 05/23/08 at 16:05:24

Quote from Sir_Asura on 05/23/08 at 12:50:24:
Quote:
Quote:

Were you just serious?  I can respect your discomfort around homosexuals, but honestly, what the hell were you even saying?  Homosexualism?  That's not a word.  Promoting homosexualsim?  Where are you from?  The Bible Belt?  Sorry to burst your bubble, but /homosexuality/ is just a reality.  If someone misinformed you that it was an invention of the 20th century, they're only half right as it was only then recognized as a sexual orientation, which in fact, just added to its stigma.  There's nothing to promote.  People get off in different ways; that's how the world is, and the game would be engineered around player choice meaning unless secret gay desires bubbled up in your playthrough you could date any of the "hot chicks" in the game.

It could be called promotion if doing so leads to a unqiue and powerful item though, just to play devil's advocate.

View Profile   IP Logged
Eikichi Girl

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #79 - 05/23/08 at 20:46:19

Quote from Apollo62 on 05/23/08 at 03:25:33:
Well, I guess you were right. Look up top around 1:32.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AheFibutRAw

Ha! I knew it. Fear my awesome powers of precognition...and deduction. BTW, can we not turn this thread of course again? If Citizen Zero dislikes gays for whatever reason lets it alone. This is the Persona 4 thread people.

0kami7777

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #80 - 05/23/08 at 23:12:02

Um...isn't what he said pretty much flatout grounds for being banned? I mean, it's one thing to dislike a people, but to use hate speech? Isn't that like, insta-flag? I oculd be wrong though so don't hate; I just though that was the "TOS" here.

View Profile   IP Logged
Apollo62
Less Newbies

DELETE!!

Reply #81 - 05/23/08 at 23:29:45

Quote:
Ha! I knew it. Fear my awesome powers of precognition...and deduction.

I kneel in awe of your mighty powers Smiley And for Christ's sake, if you don't want your MC to be gay then don't flirt with the dudes. It's that simple. These games are about opening your mind to different possibilitys( and i'm not talking about "gay agendas"), if you can't see that then why are you even here? And Tallgeese, I totally respect your opinions, but seriously, don't fan the flames. Or in this case flame-haters.

citizen zero
Less Newbies

I love blastbeat!!!

Reply #82 - 05/24/08 at 05:51:48

yeah,just don`t let the thread turn, don`t let the thread turn...

the final question which you don`t need to reply THERE:
let`s say the country you live in is really tolerant.
now look at the major games released by your country`s developers this month and count the gay chars and gay storyline plots in these games.  

and now...

return to Kuma.
is it really a bear? cuz the thing just doesn`t look like one )))

View Profile   IP Logged
Apollo62
Less Newbies

DELETE!!

Reply #83 - 05/24/08 at 06:19:45

That's the whole point. If Kanji did have some sort of storyline revolving around his questionable sexuality, it would break barriers. It could set a precedent. To be quite honest, your right. Why would the major Game companies release games centered solely on gay character's and thier plight? That wouldn't sell a shitload of games, but that doesn't mean their aren't gay gamers out there, or gay friendly ones at least. Maybe they would like someone to identify with every once in awhile, or at least someone who would help them think outside of the box. Nobody said "Hey we should have a gay MC and play his gay life!", but if some people wouldn't mind a quistionably gay secondary character don't burn them at the stake for it.

And don't try to be all cutesy and change the subject...of course he's not a real bear Tongue

RMarques

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #84 - 05/24/08 at 06:57:50

Well, Persona 3 had Koromaru, so...

Oh, and Persona 4 would hardly be the first game with gay characters in them. Sims 1, Sims 2, and Canis Canem Edit (Bully for you americans) already beat it to the punch.

Apollo62
Less Newbies

DELETE!!

Reply #85 - 05/24/08 at 07:19:07

Well of course it's not the first game with LGBT Character's in it, but most of those were not relevant to the story. That's why Kanji could become very important. And I'm sorry but I don't think Sims count, that's along the lines of MC and other "silent protaganist" roles. I had a previous post along these lines when I mentioned Jun and Kiros from FFVIII(Don't deny!).  

On a side note, where are you from?(You said you americans), and I don't get the koromaru reference.

Also, I'd hate to take that jerks lead, but what the hell is kuma? A cartoon or a character from a T.V. world? Like I said , he obviously isn't a real bear. Maybe we could use some of Eikichi Girl's "mysterious powers" to figure it out Wink

Choooo

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #86 - 05/24/08 at 12:33:52

Kuma is a character from a children's TV show in the world of P4.

View Profile   IP Logged
RMarques

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #87 - 05/24/08 at 15:30:45

Quote from Apollo62 on 05/24/08 at 07:19:07:
Well of course it's not the first game with LGBT Character's in it, but most of those were not relevant to the story. That's why Kanji could become very important.

True, Jade Empire and Mass Effect would have been much better examples.

Quote from Apollo62 on 05/24/08 at 07:19:07:
On a side note, where are you from?(You said you americans), and I don't get the koromaru reference.

I'm from Portugal, an European country where the Megaten games are mostly unknown, store clerks will look funny at you if you ask about them, and a store was so desperate to get rid of their 3 Digital Devil Saga copies that they sold them for 5€ (that 7.88 dollars with the current exchange rate).  

And the Koromaru reference was about the fact that since we already had a dog using a persona, a bear talking and using a persona too wouldn't be that much of a stretch.

Eikichi Girl

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #88 - 05/24/08 at 18:06:15

Quote from Choooo on 05/24/08 at 12:33:52:
Kuma is a character from a children's TV show in the world of P4.

I've seen this mentioned on other boards, but I don't know where people are getting this from. Is this on the official site, or mentioned in an interview?

Also: There's a new video on the website. So...you know...if someone speaks Japanese they can enjoy it.

Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #89 - 05/24/08 at 19:33:13

Quote:
It could be called promotion if doing so leads to a unqiue and powerful item though, just to play devil's advocate.

Well, aren't all video games about empowering weak, ineffectual males to begin with?  Just kidding.  

To citizen zero, I don't really care if you like or dislike gays, I am simply saying it's not a big deal because it's a role playing game.  Rest assured, even if every single male in this game were straight, you'd still have a collection of revolting fan fiction and homo-erotic art between every conceivable male on male pairing.  The imagination is a powerful thing.  On top of that, Apollo62 makes some really good points about offering characters that alternative audiences can relate to, even if they are ancillary to the story as a whole.  Obviously a sausage fest wouldn't sell, but a game that is provocative will.  There's the difference.

I kind of don't understand Kuma at all.  I don't know how he is essential to the story in the least, or what he could possibly represent.  I kind of hope he evaporates into spiritual nothingness like Gouto does before the end of the whole game.  Taking that little fuzzball into the final battle would be too much to bear (punnnnnn).

Louis Cypher

Reply #90 - 05/24/08 at 20:36:59

Quote from Sir_Asura on 05/24/08 at 19:33:13:
Quote:

Well, aren't all video games about empowering weak, ineffectual males to begin with?  Just kidding.  

I don't know why you need to be kidding.

View Profile   IP Logged
RMarques

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #91 - 05/24/08 at 21:39:54

Quote:

Well, aren't all video games about empowering weak, ineffectual males to begin with? Just kidding.

But it's true!

Rest assured, even if every single male in this game were straight, you'd still have a collection of revolting fan fiction and homo-erotic art between every conceivable male on male pairing.

And through the world, several fangirls are nodding their heads in agreement and expectation.

SHODAN

I Wub Nodens-Wodens

Reply #92 - 05/25/08 at 01:46:32

Ironically, that's the only reason I dislike gays in videogames (or the idea of marketing them to females) the tons of retarded fanart I'd have to wade through, with the usual DON'T LIKE IT DON'T LOOK (it's hard not to look when it's all over the fucking place you know, especially on the series messageboards you want to frequent)

My brother's gay, my brother's awesome, I'm glad he wasn't born a girl otherwise he'd be reading Gravitation and going on about how difficult it is for males to date (well probably anyway, he's at that age)

So what I'm getting at is that the world isn't really ready for having gay characters in anything, usually gays are parodied in games as being giant flamboyant flamers or meek waifish effeminate things you can't tell are men. Once they're accepted as normal people we can have them in games. Til then they're going to be pretty annoying and ridiculous (of course, with few exceptions)

Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #93 - 05/25/08 at 02:36:21

Blah, blah, blah.  Yeah, I have to agree that as a gay guy, I find most portrayals of gay men and gay issues to be completely thoughtless.  That's why I think Kanji would make a good fag (or really just a good step in the right direction), because he doesn't actually look like one.  Unfortunately Shodan, I am of the opinion that gays will never really be accepted fully, and that not only is this the fault of bigots everywhere but also homosexuals themselves.  Gay culture and gay representation is almost entirely a reaction to the prejudice and hatred they face; it simply perpetuates and reaffirms their place as an anomaly in society.  There will probably be a fluctuation in what defines gay and what defines the "norm" but all these issues that homosexuals bring into society don't necessarily have to be seen as purely gay ones or even ones that address the vast majority of gays today.  In my opinion, the label will always impose a stigma.  Now that we have a slight distance from legislation that is completely polarized towards a Christian persuasion, and its pretty slight, I think it would be a good idea for gays to redefine themselves and not in a crusading fashion.  Crusades are worthless.  I mean when you think that the story of Ganymede was originally used to advocate pederasty, you can see how far the "norm" can be defined.  I don't think it's too out of line to say that it's normal for two people of the same sex to prefer to be together.  I think it's kind of quaint that the people on this board are about as involved with the issue as all that yaoi trash is concerned, but going to art school, let me tell you, there is nothing in this world more painful than gay art that is trying to transcend it's confused, self-hating, and fundamentally disconnected place in society with a rainbow of passionate pride.  

Actually, since this thead has become so "f-ing GAY," I am going to try to employ a blatant move to get back to a broader topic...   If anyone wants to have a typical and completely unproductive forum gay war, then I'm all for doing it in a thread that isn't title Persona 4.  I'd prefer to talk about it outside of here or even in a Kanji specific thread, than push this all-purpose one to the point of oblivion.

So here are some questions for the better informed:  

We have confirmed that we can control all the characters, I'm assuming that means they can change personae as well.  Does anyone know how easily persona changes can be facilitated?  Are we possibly going to see a return to the system in Persona 2 where each character had a certain affinity with a number of arcana?  

Let's speculate on how obnoxious the soundtrack for P4 will be.  While I thought over all P3's fit the mood of the game, it isn't exactly easy listening.  Since this game is supposedly modeled after television, I'm betting the soundtrack is going to sound like soap opera music with a pop twist.  Is there going to be an OST? Etc?  

Is there anyone in this community who could reliably translate and relate to us the updates on the official site?

citizen zero
Less Newbies

I love blastbeat!!!

Reply #94 - 05/25/08 at 03:44:12

aw, nobody wants war, and i just wished to question something mistakingly called freedom in the modern world...  

alright, from what i`ve read i remember promises to get about 200 Personas in P4. The number is pretty huge for one MC to use, so I think changing support chars Personas would be featured.

and for OST i presume it really would be easy listening cr... sh... songs and tracks.

shame on you, developers, for not making it exclusively grindcore through previous games... just joking!

View Profile   IP Logged
RMarques

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #95 - 05/25/08 at 08:09:58

Quote from Sir_Asura on 05/25/08 at 02:36:21:

Is there anyone in this community who could reliably translate and relate to us the updates on the official site?

There's a japanese speaker, but I haven't seen her post anywhere other than her introduction thread.

Onal Police
Newbies

I Love Jack Frost!

Achtung!
Reply #96 - 05/25/08 at 15:16:25

Внимание пользователям форума Megaten Haven! У вас зафиксирован вопиющий случай проявления Долбосраки в терминальной стадии! Так же на вас было написано заявление в Ональную полицию Российской Федерации. Поскольку наша организация не имеет международных полномочий, мы вынужденны всю собранную информацию отправить в местный аналогичный орган, который обязан будет наказать вас по всей строгости!

View Profile   IP Logged
RMarques

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #97 - 05/25/08 at 15:51:19

... What? Shocked

Choooo

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #98 - 05/25/08 at 15:53:01

Да я принимаю это очень серьезно. Однако, Megaten Haven основано из Россия, поэтому вам не нужны международные авторитеты. Мы расположены СПРАВЕДЛИВО ЗА ВАМИ. Не посмотрите за вами, сыграйте его холодное.

View Profile   IP Logged
Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #99 - 05/25/08 at 16:45:13

Hahaha, the babelfish of that is amazing.

0kami7777

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #100 - 05/25/08 at 21:42:26

0 - 0

Asura, I'm so on your level about the gay stereotype and it's them shooting themselves in the foot. Let's not get into my own clusterfucked mind, but being bisexual means sort of keeping up appearences between both worlds that you don't fully agree with. And it's hard to support the cuase of gay and lesbian brethren when they just keep on insisting on exclusivity and how weird and different they are when really they should try and show how they are just like anybody else. It's sort of the reverse of black civil rights. Gay power has come before gay acceptance and it's only dividing people.  

It's also interesting to know that out of the 5 gay freinds that immediately come to mind, none are stereotypical at all. None act effeminate or are interested in clothes or rainbows or anything like that.

And I also go to an art school, Asura XD I totally get where you're coming from. Is your school just visual arts or the spectrum like mine is (I'm in creative writing).

But ON topic:

Persona 4. I'm so glad they nixed (lol pun) Tarturus/stagnant dungeon in favor for diverse TV dungeons. I'm excited.

View Profile   IP Logged
Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #101 - 05/26/08 at 00:34:52

I go to RISD, so it's just art and design, but it's relatively easy to take classes at Brown or dual-enroll there.

It may be good that the randomly generated dungeon aspect seems to be gone, but I am concerned that it may lend a quality of rigidity to how we can level characters/develop teams that wasn't so much an issue in P3.  If the story's great then I'll probably be fine with that, but given that the game is keeping the "one more" system and that all the characters may end up with the same abilities P3's MC had, I bet the game may be extremely easy.  Too much customization in a game that doesn't give you the freedom to develop it could be an inherent flaw.  Since we still have the school calendar, I doubt it's going to be like returning to the same place to grind, etc.  Not that grinded is what games should be about, but a game that eliminates the idea that you work hard to earn rewarding battles kind of sounds lame to me.  

The shadow versions of each character appear in (or I guess on?) their personal "channel," which I guess is like a level?  Does anyone know how these things work?  Do you go through each person's personal dilemma's and then exhaust the need to go to their channels, or do we visit these places on specific dates?   How will we "hone our personae" if there isn't a generic place to do it when there isn't a story driven reason to go beat up shadows?

Louis Cypher

Reply #102 - 05/26/08 at 04:56:41

WHY did they make the One More system over Press Turns, eesh..

View Profile   IP Logged
citizen zero
Less Newbies

I love blastbeat!!!

Reply #103 - 05/26/08 at 05:11:47

Quote from Choooo on 05/25/08 at 15:53:01:
Да я принимаю это очень серьезно. Однако, Megaten Haven основано из Россия, поэтому вам не нужны международные авторитеты. Мы расположены СПРАВЕДЛИВО ЗА ВАМИ. Не посмотрите за вами, сыграйте его холодное.

:ROFL:
the babelfish of THAT is really amazing!!!  

учите русский, когда ваша страна будет колонизирована, вам это понадобится)))

and no, that Onal Police ain`t my virtual or something like that  Roll Eyes

View Profile   IP Logged
RMarques

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #104 - 05/27/08 at 07:45:58

Actually, since this thead has become so "f-ing GAY," I am going to try to employ a blatant move to get back to a broader topic... If anyone wants to have a typical and completely unproductive forum gay war, then I'm all for doing it in a thread that isn't title Persona 4. I'd prefer to talk about it outside of here or even in a Kanji specific thread, than push this all-purpose one to the point of oblivion.

>_< Now I'm tempted. Even after being burned out of debating on the internet in general. Curse ye!

*ahem*

Personally, between the One More system and DDS's, I'm not really fussed over either of them. They're both still the same old turn based JRPG battles with a little twist, so meh. What I'm really hoping is that Atlus actually prints this more than once. >_> Finding the games was hard enough while they were in print, let alone now that they're out of print.

0kami7777

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #105 - 05/27/08 at 17:28:32

Nocturne is in reprint though!

View Profile   IP Logged
superviolist
Newbies

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #106 - 05/27/08 at 23:04:22

I speak Japanese but I'm a bit forgetful, meaning I wouldn't remember to look for updates. If enough people wanted the updates translated, I could give it a try for a while.

Although this blog does a pretty good job.

View Profile   IP Logged
Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #107 - 05/28/08 at 03:11:34

Thanks for the link to that blog.  That's great.  If you ever have anything to add from your own snooping around on the Japanese site, that'd be great too!

RMarques

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #108 - 05/28/08 at 16:27:59

Huh... Extra stuff to do on the dungeons after they're complete.... Return of the golden enemies perhaps?

Eikichi Girl

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #109 - 05/30/08 at 23:13:02

Yay for the blog link.  Smiley Now I can keep up with the latest P4 news. I think the One More system sounded better on paper, but I'll say this: it certainly makes the usual SMT grinding easier on me. Playing through Nocturne again, I can't imagine how I put up with the slowness of grinding my way to lvl 99.

Apollo62
Less Newbies

DELETE!!

Reply #110 - 05/31/08 at 05:59:40

Definite good looks on the link man. That's like CliffsNotes or something for Persona 4 info.  

As for the the extra stuff in old dungeons, maybe that's where you can find the alternate outfits, or joke weapons. Possibly through golden enemies like RMarques suggested. Then again, with the confirmation of request's, maybe there will be even better stuff to find in them.

"Woot! I found some loot!"

Eikichi Girl

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #111 - 06/04/08 at 20:25:53

New Info on our newest scanner, the unfortunately named Rise Kujikawa. Her persona is Himiko a Japanese priestess, I believe. So that might confirm her arcanum as being High Priestess as well.

http://img230.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=56419_p4_122_438lo.jpg

The semi-top idol. She can become the top idol by a few more. But she suddenly stops the activity as the idol and changes her school (first grade).

Wierd. I wonder if this idol referred to in the article is referring to an American Idol type show? I hope not, that'd ruin my theories... Also I love Himiko's design. As with Fuuka, it's a shame I probably won't see her persona very often in-game.

S Link characters
Yumi Ozawa (theatre club) on the left
Ayane Matsunaga (concert band club) on the right

*credit goes to who/where ever RPGMaster of the Gamespot forums got this from.

Choooo

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #112 - 06/04/08 at 21:39:26

"Idol" is the term used by Japan to refer to pop stars. So like, Brittany Spears (circa 1999-2000) would be considered an Idol.  Usually they're singers, but they often end up acting and do voice work. 99.9% of things put out by idols is complete crap.

View Profile   IP Logged
RMarques

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #113 - 06/05/08 at 07:04:06

Quote from Choooo on 06/04/08 at 21:39:26:
"Idol" is the term used by Japan to refer to pop stars. So like, Brittany Spears (circa 1999-2000) would be considered an Idol. Usually they're singers, but they often end up acting and do voice work. 99.9% of things put out by idols is complete crap.

Yes and no. Idol actually refers to young girls (although there's a few guys), who are either in their teens or early twenties, and due to being particularly cute or pretty, are featured on mass media on a regular basis. So, doing voice work, or acting is pretty much a requirement for being an idol. Morning Mosume is a particularly famous Idol group, where everytime one of the girls becomes "too old" or otherwise becomes udesirable, they get replaced.

Choooo

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #114 - 06/05/08 at 14:26:23

And they initially get media attention because they're acting or singing.

View Profile   IP Logged
Eikichi Girl

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #115 - 06/06/08 at 21:33:49

Oh? That's something I didn't know.

Also:

Update to Chie's page with her in a battle
Update to the download section

Controlling other characters seems to be officially confirmed now.

Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #116 - 06/08/08 at 02:42:41

Thank god.  There's absolutely nothing "more realistic" about watching your entire party make stupid decisions, like "knocking down" an enemy with single targeting skills instead of ma-whatever skills, etc. and thus wasting all their MP.  

Oh my other favorite is when they would "wait" instead of doing something obscure but probably helpful.... etc.  Or Mind Charge and then use like... Marin Karin... etc. (Mitsuru I am looking at you).

This game looks like it might actually be enjoyable to play the /whole/ way through.  I hope they adjust the idea of the social links so that mastering them all isn't the objective, because that was also a really stupid idea.  How is it realistic or enjoyable at all to have the pressure to master all social links to master the game.  I mean, generally in real life, you don't hang out with the jocks, and the faggy exchange student, and the neurotic art/science prodigy and get along with all of them.  If the mute main character is emblematic of me, then I would probably hate the effeminate Frenchie, be best friends with the unfortunate neurotic culture club kid, prove Akihiko is a fag, and make Mitsuru my hag.  That's how I'd master the Empress arcana--will and grace style--not by giving her "googly eyed idols" on Saturdays (to hell with that shit).

RMarques

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #117 - 06/08/08 at 06:09:20

Quote from Sir_Asura on 06/08/08 at 02:42:41:
prove Akihiko is a fag

You'd need proof? Seriously, the guy all but dropped down on his knees and proposed to Shinji.

RMarqeus
Less Newbies

Banned

Reply #118 - 06/08/08 at 23:48:22

Is it true that the kids in this game wear glasses to summon Persona??? lmao

View Profile   IP Logged
Isao Kronos

Remodeled Teacher

Reply #119 - 06/09/08 at 00:53:41

Better than LOL FAKE SUICIDE.

[center]
View Profile   IP Logged
Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #120 - 06/09/08 at 03:41:44

Yeah, I agree... the fake suicide was kind of ridiculous.  I did like the noise of glass breaking though every time the persona was summoned.  Honestly, I preferred when there was no "gimmick" and it was just an ability that some people had and others didn't.

citizen zero
Less Newbies

I love blastbeat!!!

Reply #121 - 06/09/08 at 12:07:22

hehee,fake suicide...

"...too much fucking emo it`s false i know..."

i`ve read somewhere that they wear glasses not to summon Personae but to see the Shadows, by the way

View Profile   IP Logged
Choooo

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #122 - 06/09/08 at 12:46:35

Yeah, the suicide thing was, pardon my coarse language, retarded.  
The idiot masses: "oooh, look how deep/symbolic/edgy it is!"  
Me: "no actually it's just really stupid"  
The idiot masses: "no really it is deeply symbolic because something about killing off the ego so the id can take over blah blah blah *continues to try and justify the stupidity*"
Me: "no sweetie, when you shoot yourself in the head, you tend to end up either brain-dead or dead period. There is no secondary personality showing up to take over."
The idiot masses: "no it is SYMBOLIC."
Me: "Symbolism and imagery are not the same thing"

Quote:
Honestly, I preferred when there was no "gimmick" and it was just an ability that some people had and others didn't.

That was nice, wasn't it? Back when everyone could go to the Velvet Room, everyone could swap Personas, and everyone could be controlled in combat.

View Profile   IP Logged
RMarqeus
Less Newbies

Banned

Reply #123 - 06/09/08 at 14:43:07

Why is it in Persona 3 everyone shoots themselves in the head with toy guns, while the dog just has to wear a device??  Huh I mean wouldn't it be faster to wear a "special device" and call forth your Personas anytime you want rather than to grab a fake gun, point to your head and pull the trigger every time? lol

View Profile   IP Logged
Choooo

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #124 - 06/09/08 at 14:54:43

He's a dog he can't hold a gun silly!

(That's an actual response someone gave me)

View Profile   IP Logged
SHODAN

I Wub Nodens-Wodens

Reply #125 - 06/09/08 at 18:35:14

Quote from Sir_Asura on 06/09/08 at 03:41:44:
Yeah, I agree... the fake suicide was kind of ridiculous. I did like the noise of glass breaking though every time the persona was summoned. Honestly, I preferred when there was no "gimmick" and it was just an ability that some people had and others didn't.

Yeah, I'd prefer CALL OUT YOUR PERSAAANUHHHHHH over this shooting in the head crap. I wonder who comes up with this stuff

RMarqeus
Less Newbies

Banned

Reply #126 - 06/09/08 at 22:38:16

The main problem I have with the pseudo-suicide is that they force you to watch it every time, since you cannot turn off battle animations unlike the previous games in the series.

« Last Edit: 06/10/08 at 12:20:02 by RMarqeus »  
View Profile   IP Logged
Eikichi Girl

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #127 - 06/12/08 at 20:05:29

There's a link to some new scans of Persona 4. Apparently Matador is a persona. 'Bout time.

http://www.famitsu.com/game/coming/1215302_1407.html     Courtesy of Rhen_Var of the Gamespot forums

Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #128 - 06/13/08 at 01:09:36

Does anyone have a translation of these screen shots?  If not, could someone translate it, even roughly?  There also looks to be some "social link" /action/ in these pictures.

Thanks for the update!

Choooo

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #129 - 06/13/08 at 12:49:46

The first paragraph gives the overview of the Velvet Room (Personas are the power of the heart/used to fight shadows/over 180 in the game/etc).  

It talks about fusing cards to create new Personas, and it says that in this game you'll be able to fuse more than 6 at a time, but...

First screen is Fusion, second is the Compendium.

The next box talks about Margaret. It says that Elizabeth was Igor's companion in P3, but now Margaret is his companion. It comments that they are dressed similarly, so maybe there's a connection. (Gee thanks for the help Famitsu!)

The options in the screenshot of Margaret are:
Margaret's Requests
Verify Community Achievements
Open Compendium
Register Persona? (I honestly don't know and I don't feel like looking it up)

She is asking for Ippon Datera with Sukukaja.

Fusion Forecast  
Although you can visit the Velvet Room everyday (or I suppose nearly everyday as the storyline may prevent you from visiting it sometimes) and fuse Personas, P4 has a "Fusion Forecast" system where you can obtain "special effects" by fusing certain things on certain days.

Community  
(It gives an overview of the Community/Social Link system, it works on the same principle as the P3 one)

You build Community Links by talking with people and interacting at school. Being  a member of a Sports club will build your Strength Community. The boy speaking at the diner is Ichijo Kou (I think).

The girl at the bottom is named Ebihara Ai (I think) and she's the manager for the Sports Club(s). It wonders if she's a different Social Link than Strength.

View Profile   IP Logged
Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #130 - 06/13/08 at 15:52:03

Haha, thanks for the translation help.  Honestly, I was hoping they'd say something more insightful, but I guess that's asking for too much.  Pointing out the obvious is cool too; haha, Elizabeth and Margaret look similar--no really?

Louis Cypher

Reply #131 - 06/13/08 at 19:46:42

Oh god no, they're keeping the social links.

View Profile   IP Logged
Choooo

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #132 - 06/13/08 at 20:20:06

Fusion Forecast:  
The example given is that if you fuse Titania and Makami on that date, it'll have the spell Bufula and increased parameters.

View Profile   IP Logged
Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #133 - 06/15/08 at 03:26:49

I kind of like that addition to the fusion system.  I mean, it will hopefully keep things a little fresh.  I was disappointed that in Persona 3 there wasn't anything in fusion that corresponded to the lunar cycle/date (at least from what I could gather).  I mean, that's pretty standard.  It's good to see they are taking something old and giving it a new finish.

citizen zero
Less Newbies

I love blastbeat!!!

Reply #134 - 06/15/08 at 07:29:41

Yes, this may turn out at least more important than all these moon phases which had no real impact on anything (and i wondered why the developers placed them in majority of megaten games). Persona 2EP had no moon phases, and i haven`t heard anyone complaining about it )))

View Profile   IP Logged
Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #135 - 06/15/08 at 13:35:43

I mean, I think the moon phases were important in P3 because they were an indication of when things would begin to flux and change in the story.  They just could've played a more important role in how things worked via game mechanics.  I mean, if the shadows are affected by the moon, then why not the personae?  The phases of katsugutchi played an effect on fusion in Nocturne, and the solar noise in at least DDS2 added new game play features (with minimal differences, like those cheap critical hit moves, in DDS1).

RMarques

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #136 - 06/15/08 at 15:44:14

Quote from Sir_Asura on 06/15/08 at 13:35:43:
I mean, I think the moon phases were important in P3 because they were an indication of when things would begin to flux and change in the story. They just could've played a more important role in how things worked via game mechanics. I mean, if the shadows are affected by the moon, then why not the personae?

Well, there were at least two moves that caused more damage on certain moon phases, but yeah, other than that, I don't think the Personae were really affected by it.

Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #137 - 06/15/08 at 17:21:50

Oh yeah... Zan-ei and Getsu-ei... they kind of sucked though.  I was constantly removing them for superior physical skills.  I mean, since the phases of the moon weren't really new or full at convenient training times, what's the point of spamming skills like that? That assistance was unnecessary when you had a battery of personae with all 4 elemental attacks, etc.  The full moon bonus wasn't necessary on any boss either.  

I mean, regardless, new moon/full moon criticals were always cheap--in P3 they were just kind of out of sync with the rest of the game.

bullman422
Less Newbies

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #138 - 06/17/08 at 14:40:15

Quote from Sir_Asura on 06/15/08 at 17:21:50:
Oh yeah... Zan-ei and Getsu-ei... they kind of sucked though. I was constantly removing them for superior physical skills. I mean, since the phases of the moon weren't really new or full at convenient training times, what's the point of spamming skills like that? That assistance was unnecessary when you had a battery of personae with all 4 elemental attacks, etc. The full moon bonus wasn't necessary on any boss either.

I mean, regardless, new moon/full moon criticals were always cheap--in P3 they were just kind of out of sync with the rest of the game.

I unfortunately kept skills like those on my persona just for variety.  I didn't even think about the fact that the moon phase works differently in P3 than in previous megaten games.  Oh well!  Live and learn.  

I like what I see so far in Persona 4 even if much of it looks like Persona 3 with the standard improvements and upgrades.  About the only thing I wish would return is monster negotiating.  I'm probably in the minority here but I really hated the card shuffling system as it was too easy to get items and annoying in that there was no way to opt out of one.  On the other hand monster negotiating was optional (most of the time), fun, and often risky.  The fun was usually in how the demons responded to whatever tactic you used whether it made them happy, mad, fearful, or interested.  Of course the risky part came when you completely pissed them off which lead to an automatic battle with the demons often getting the battle advantage.  Nothing like having that happening when you have a bunch of Lipps demons surrounding you.  Trust me it ain't pretty.   Shocked

View Profile   IP Logged
Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #139 - 06/18/08 at 01:53:16

Well... then...

Found this new scan.  If people can still stomach viewing this thread, it looks like there is finally information on the last character.  Japanese-literate, translation would be awesome!

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/7193/1213757026610kt2.jpg

Louis Cypher

Reply #140 - 06/18/08 at 02:04:18

Ugh, goatse. Fucking loser.

Brand, I wish you'd let me deal with this. Daaamn.

View Profile   IP Logged
SHODAN

I Wub Nodens-Wodens

Reply #141 - 06/18/08 at 02:24:27

I really like Dude with a Red Tie. He looks like he doesn't take any shit.

Louis Cypher

Reply #142 - 06/18/08 at 02:25:42

I like the Persona with the lightsaber.

Shame that unless he gets Customed he probably blows goats.

View Profile   IP Logged
SHODAN

I Wub Nodens-Wodens

Reply #143 - 06/18/08 at 02:33:44

..that Persona looks like Shishio.

..with a bug mask.

..wearing a suit and tie over his bandages.

...holding a lightsaber.

That's a ton of WTF right there.

Louis Cypher

Reply #144 - 06/18/08 at 02:36:40

You like?

View Profile   IP Logged
Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #145 - 06/18/08 at 02:37:36

Fortunately, it is very small so we won't have to deal with it quite as much.  I don't know; I don't even like the design of the detective character even.  They're both kind of awkward in my opinion.

SHODAN

I Wub Nodens-Wodens

Reply #146 - 06/18/08 at 02:43:15

Quote from Tallgeese on 06/18/08 at 02:36:40:
You like?

...no, of course not. Are you silly?

Kid with an Oddly Shaped Hat is kind of weird looking

mknzy
Global Moderator

Hell Biker

Reply #147 - 06/18/08 at 02:44:37

I am probally the odd one out here but I actually enjoyed the social link system in P3, so much so that I would find myself choosing to put off Tartarus until the last couple of days of the period because I was too busy advancing the social links.

View Profile WWW mknzy mknzy 1099850 JoshFicter   IP Logged
Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #148 - 06/18/08 at 02:47:52

I did that too, but only because it was faster than pointless grinding in tartarus.  I would always complete all of Elizabeth's requests like... the first day, then grind a little bit, if you could call it that.  Then it was social linking.

mknzy
Global Moderator

Hell Biker

Reply #149 - 06/18/08 at 02:52:06

Well here was my thing, is that I felt that the way that they set the game up where you are more or less living the main characters day to day life, interacting with people, developing relationships/friendships, breaking them, and everything, was really neat.  Also I just generally enjoyed the stories of the social links, and the characters you were interacting with.

View Profile WWW mknzy mknzy 1099850 JoshFicter   IP Logged
Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #150 - 06/18/08 at 02:56:50

Hmm, okay, I concede.  I enjoyed some of the stories of the social links.  I really hated Fuuka's, Bebe's (not because he's obnoxious, but because its resolution was really lame), Kaz (because he always called me, ugh!), and Chihiro's... she was exactly why I don't date girls.  Akinari's was hilarious (It's like God hates you is the best response in all the social links), and of course I couldn't deny the fact I enjoyed the Hermit Social link.

biggsyke

Kaneko Fan

Reply #151 - 06/18/08 at 16:01:01

Wow, at first glance, guy with hat reminded me of P3's MC (or Minato if you'd like). Everytime I look at his eyes and hair, I see MC...what's up with the schoolboy bug with the overcompensating light saber?

View Profile   IP Logged
Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #152 - 06/20/08 at 02:12:32

Blargh, I still can't really find any good translations on this famitsu scan.  Kind of weird huh?  I mean, all the other ones were related back to us English-speaking masses fairly quickly.  (Even the blog we were provided with, which has been wonderful, is strangely quiet).

Eikichi Girl

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #153 - 06/20/08 at 21:03:17

Quote from Sir_Asura on 06/20/08 at 02:12:32:
Blargh, I still can't really find any good translations on this famitsu scan.  Kind of weird huh?  I mean, all the other ones were related back to us English-speaking masses fairly quickly.  (Even the blog we were provided with, which has been wonderful, is strangely quiet).

Patience, young Skywalker. We won't be getting this game anytime soon anyway.

BTW, I'm loving Captain Pistol already. I'll probably use him the most just because he uses a gun. I'm happy that they're used for combat again. I wonder if the MC will be able to use any weapon again? If the social links are as evolving and branching as rumored they'll be awesome. Also, the website has updated again. A battle video of the Main character is now featured among other things.

0kami7777

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #154 - 06/21/08 at 20:40:04

Apparently his name is Naota...or so I've heard

View Profile   IP Logged
Eikichi Girl

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #155 - 06/22/08 at 18:22:29

There's also a few theories going around that he is actually "she" which would be interesting. Does anyone have the song from the main 17 minutes trailer yet? I saw someone on the Gamespot forums mentioning already having it, and figured that it might be available somewhere.

RMarques

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #156 - 06/22/08 at 18:47:10

Well, the world could certainly use more badass female characters. Of course, if he turns out to be a she that is there just to pander to the fanboys that love tsundere characters, then it'd be a wasted opportunity.

Eikichi Girl

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #157 - 06/22/08 at 19:23:28

Well the story has been considered a "murder mystery" maybe, Naota dresses as a boy to evade some as of yet unrevealed murderer? Or maybe she's an actress?

Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #158 - 06/22/08 at 23:01:05

The blog posted earlier in this forum has finally translated the famitsu issue with Naoto's information.  Turns out, there's a slight chance those "rumors" of him being a she /could be true/ but, honestly, that'd be the dumbest thing ever given how his character has thus far been portrayed.  The reason I say it might be true, is that he isn't apparently interested in girls or fun, and is very much about solving the murder mysteries.  Why this game would use a cross dresser is /beyond me/, but that statement at least keeps those rumors open. I think he's a freshman in high school... In my opinion, this information about him "not being interested in girls" could be a set up for him to be the romantic foil to a gay Kanji?  Neh?  I mean, he's the fag who's with the law, and Kanji is the fag who's a bad boy.  This could be the GAYEST game ever.  HAH.  We'll see...  

Chances are Kanji is just straight with a soft side and Naoto is just a boring stiff character who is "blinded by justice!"  ::dies a little more on the inside::  But seriously, even if they aren't gay, we can all brace for the horror by having a "couple" like this in the game....

Louis Cypher

Reply #159 - 06/23/08 at 01:07:15

Play Animamundi.

View Profile   IP Logged
Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #160 - 06/23/08 at 02:19:07

What is it?

Louis Cypher

Reply #161 - 06/23/08 at 02:42:29

Visual novel game.

Really, really fabulous.

I mean fabulous in THAT way.

View Profile   IP Logged
0kami7777

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #162 - 06/23/08 at 14:05:22

Asura, can you not throw the word fag around please? Grin Perhaps it's just my region, but usually the same people who use that are the same people who wear swastikas on their bags...
And I'm not trying to sound like an overzealous dick here, I'm just saying...

View Profile   IP Logged
Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #163 - 06/23/08 at 17:49:44

Lol, sorry to offend.  I use it cause I am one though, although I know plenty of gay people who would take offense to that logic.  I'll just try to be a little less irreverent from here on out.  I usually only get peculiar about usage when that word takes on two syllables and is used by someone in a truly derogatory sense.

0kami7777

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #164 - 06/23/08 at 18:03:41

Dude, it's way cool, don't worry. I was actually thinking I was sort of being a douche with even speaking up about it. So I tried to seem socially concious rather than coming off as being on my soapbox.

BTW you're from Providence? Funny, I'm going to Roger Williams U in the fall. Not too far away.

But back on topic. I'm thinking Naota is really just focused on solving the murders not being "not-interested in girls" in the gay sense. He comes off as being more one-track minded.

View Profile   IP Logged
Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #165 - 06/23/08 at 18:08:59

I agree about Naoto.  He's most likely that one-dimensional "extra" character that was designed just to fill a gap in the balance of your party battle-wise.  I mean, he's been announced by Famitsu and the official website doesn't even have a character page for him yet... He's probaby like Koromaru (hahaha) or even Cielo (I mean, they basically developed him in optional NPC discussions in DDS2, lame.).

I also agree with what you said about casually using the word "fag."  I should be more careful.  It's just something I don't think about because I am not exactly resolved about my sexual identity, and it doesn't help when your family, in an accusatory tone, calls you one.   It's one thing when you grow up in a city (or New England for that matter) and are surrounded by a culture where homosexuality is an inevitability.  When you're like me and from the country where there's no such thing as a positive role-model, you begin to thoughtlessly emulate negative behavior.  I'm only in Providence when I'm at school.

0kami7777

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #166 - 06/25/08 at 00:17:38

Guys, if any of you have checked out the P4 wesbite, you will know that if the background effect is rainy on certain days, then at Midnight when the "dark hour" happens, the Midnight Televsion will yield a movie clip or sound bite from the game. You can only see one per night...

OR

You can just go here and see them all  Wink

http://movie.atlusnet.jp/persona4/midnight/

View Profile   IP Logged
citizen zero
Less Newbies

I love blastbeat!!!

Reply #167 - 06/25/08 at 06:58:35

"i`ve just read somewhere that all characters in P4 are actually borsch crossdressers from outer space..."

maybe after the release of P4 i`ll need a ticket to Japan and some gasoline...

View Profile   IP Logged
Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #168 - 06/25/08 at 19:34:39

So, it looks like there's going to be a small return of Gekkokaun High.

http://videogamerx.gamedonga.co.kr/zbxe/news_user_gamenews/files/attach/images/6 99943/035/916/01.jpg

Chihiro (in her senior year?) and that fat ass principal are in one of the screen shots...  

Don't really know much of what else is going on in these shots though.

RMarques

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #169 - 06/26/08 at 04:44:12

What's with the fox? Does this means that we'll have a Persona using fox now?

Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #170 - 06/26/08 at 16:37:49

No, he/she is apparently a confirmed social link?  Wonder what arcana .... a fox s link could be?

0kami7777

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #171 - 06/26/08 at 20:58:36

If we're to go by the folkloric belief in the kitsune, than the fox (or kitsune) could be a trickster, so a Devil S-Link is what I'm calling.

View Profile   IP Logged
citizen zero
Less Newbies

I love blastbeat!!!

Reply #172 - 06/27/08 at 05:31:26

circus is on the move...

View Profile   IP Logged
Eikichi Girl

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #173 - 06/27/08 at 21:50:46

The whole cross-dressing thing wouldn't be wierd if Naoto is trying to stay disguised for some reason; assuming she is a she. Also, I like the idea of an animal social link, but I'm curious to what the story could be for that Fox. I wonder how Gekkokaun is related to the new game's plot? BTW, why does everyone think that Kanji is gay? Because of the rumors about his shadow form?

Also: Naoto and Rise are now on the site.

citizen zero
Less Newbies

I love blastbeat!!!

Reply #174 - 06/28/08 at 01:31:37

Quote from Eikichi Girl on 06/27/08 at 21:50:46:
BTW, why does everyone think that Kanji is gay? Because of the rumors about his shadow form?

Random gays here and there aren`t "everyone"  Roll Eyes

Oh yes and the fox MUST actually be a black midget in a fox costume, for the sake of P4 aiming at the title of The game which spawns the most stupid rumors!!!

View Profile   IP Logged
biggsyke

Kaneko Fan

Reply #175 - 06/28/08 at 21:06:22

http://www.konamistyle.jp/sp/persona4/
Is that Kuma plush the TBA item, or is it in addition to the game, shirt, and TBA item?

View Profile   IP Logged
0kami7777

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #176 - 06/28/08 at 23:02:24

I want that shirt.

View Profile   IP Logged
Eikichi Girl

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #177 - 06/29/08 at 15:02:31

Quote from biggsyke on 06/28/08 at 21:06:22:
http://www.konamistyle.jp/sp/persona4/
Is that Kuma plush the TBA item, or is it in addition to the game, shirt, and TBA item?

I believe it's the latter. Similar to those arm bands that came out with special editions of Persona 3.

biggsyke

Kaneko Fan

Reply #178 - 06/29/08 at 15:05:30

Quote:
I believe it's the latter. Similar to those arm bands that came out with special editions of Persona 3.

So I wonder if there is anything on that page that mentions the TBA item, it's getting pretty close to release date, and I'm still deciding if I want to order or not...anyone pre-order?

View Profile   IP Logged
0kami7777

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #179 - 06/29/08 at 15:36:01

I WANT that Persona 3 shirt.

Is there any chance people might sell those individually on E-bay?

View Profile   IP Logged
citizen zero
Less Newbies

I love blastbeat!!!

Reply #180 - 07/01/08 at 09:05:48

Imagining guys from P4 coming to visit Gekkoukan High...

"-You guys still use these stupid emovokers? We village people have modern and heathy card crushing!"

View Profile   IP Logged
raye_gincho
Newbies

holy crap!

Reply #181 - 07/05/08 at 23:51:01

Persona 4 US-

12/9/08, confirmed at AX.
 Cheesy

dont read this
Emilio Morales

Lone Wolf

Reply #182 - 07/06/08 at 00:11:49

I thought it was going to be like a year waiting for the localization of Persona 4, but tonight, ATLUS prove me the opposite. I'm so excited, I can't wait  Grin

Email View Profile WWW Emilio Morales   IP Logged
Eikichi Girl

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #183 - 07/06/08 at 12:37:33

Quote from raye_gincho on 07/05/08 at 23:51:01:
Persona 4 US-

Cheesy

AX?

Also, Kanji has a battle video on the website now, and our favorite he/she has a new video as well.

RMarques

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #184 - 07/06/08 at 13:25:34

Quote from Eikichi Girl on 07/06/08 at 12:37:33:
Quote from raye_gincho on 07/05/08 at 23:51:01:
Persona 4 US-

Cheesy

AX?

Anime Expo

Eikichi Girl

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #185 - 07/06/08 at 14:06:12

Oh, well then. Please excuse me while I do a happy dance. I hope we get a lot of info next week when it hits Japan. I'm curious about a lot of things that haven't been mentioned in Fatmistu scans.

raye_gincho
Newbies

holy crap!

Reply #186 - 07/06/08 at 17:12:24

convulses with pleasure

dont read this
granitor

Fuse Me With A Cute
Girl, Please.

Reply #187 - 07/06/08 at 18:59:14

I'll be very happy when some of the import reviews come out... it's coming out in Thursday in Japan, ne?  

It almost makes me forget that they'll never release P2:IS nor Soul Hackers...

Ikkaris
Less Newbies

The Amazing
Sword-swallowing Man

Reply #188 - 07/07/08 at 19:57:18

Wow, have you noticed how ugly the site design is?
The tv looks particularly bad.

Good to know its still coming though.

View Profile   IP Logged
Choooo

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #189 - 07/08/08 at 15:14:08

Social Links for P4. Yakuza Fox is the Hermit. Teehee.

View Profile   IP Logged
Emilio Morales

Lone Wolf

Reply #190 - 07/08/08 at 17:11:33

Quote from Choooo on 07/08/08 at 15:14:08:

Thanks for the images Choooo!! Grin

Eikichi Girl

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #191 - 07/08/08 at 20:25:37

Quote from Choooo on 07/08/08 at 15:14:08:

I love the idea of having alternate characters for the social links. It adds genuine replay value. Here's hoping that we can keep our social link bonuses in subsequent playthroughs. The Strength socccer boy-with-band aid is cute. There I said it. Also, I'm curious about how murders will affect the pacing of the game?

« Last Edit: 07/08/08 at 21:43:36 by Eikichi Girl »  
RMarques

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #192 - 07/09/08 at 16:59:12

Play-asia has the Japanese version of the game available for pre-order now.

Eikichi Girl

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #193 - 07/09/08 at 20:15:31

The english site is up now. I hope it updates every Friday soon as well. Here is a list of the arcanas BTW and some of the details given about the battle system courtesy of posters on Gamespot and Neogaf respectively. Some of which are interesting. Personally, I don't think Death is a mystery character. I think s/he may be an actually dead person; which could explain the silhouette form.

1. MC : Fool.
2. Hanamura Yousuke : Magician.
3. Amagi Yukiko : Priestess.
4. Margaret !?!?!? : Empress.
5. Tatsumi Kanji : Emperor.
6. Doujima Ryoutaro : Heirophant.
7. Kujikawa Rise : Lovers.
8. Satonaka Chie : Chariot.
9. Doujima Nanako : Justice.
10. Kitsune / Fox : Hermit.
11. Soccer Club (Daisuke Nagase & Kou Ichijou) : Strength.
12. ??? : Death.
13. A teacher ??? : Temperance.
14. Nurse : Devil.  
15. Another Maya??? : Tower.
16. Kuma : Star.
17. Ebihara Ai : Moon.
18. Matsunaga Ayane : Sun.
19. Ozawa Yumi : Sun.

1. If you hit a weakness -> One More happens

2. If all enemies down -> Final Attack

3. If using hit-all attack, even you only hit one enemy's weakness, you can still get One More  

4. Character can act the very next turn even in Down status  

5. During down, if the weakness is exploited, "Faint" status will happen. Character can lost at least one turn of action.

6. Sometimes physical critical and cause Down + Faint together

7. Enemy reinforcement may happen after all of them are wiped out.  

8. Depending on the commu development other characters will take damage for the main during battle.

9. Analysis doesn't take time, but it seems the record will not carry over. You'd have to do it again in next battle.  

10. After choosing escape, you can't go instantly, instead you got to carry on the battle for a while

Here's a link of the battle music.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gRwFapCq3vY

It doesn't beat Mass Destruction, but I love the tempo. With the game launching in Japan soon we'll soon get a better taste of the OST as a whole.

This second link contains the boss music, but does contain mild, mild spoilers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx3M9ddrlf8

Jessicat
Less Newbies

Dragon Fanatic

Reply #194 - 07/10/08 at 00:42:07

Quote from raye_gincho on 07/06/08 at 17:12:24:

Okay, why the heck does main dude have blue hair? Trying to spice up the dullness? (I don't get that guy and his grey hair, and he still reminds me of Kaiba from Yu-gi-oh! XD) Hope it'll be a fun game regardless Cheesy (and if not, I can still listen to the engrish ost Tongue)

Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #195 - 07/10/08 at 01:15:35

GameFAQs... while not the most reliable news source, has a thread that basically confirms a lot of the speculations we've been having here... EVEN the more unlikely ones SPOILERS

coughcrossdressingcough.

Eikichi Girl

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #196 - 07/11/08 at 18:34:38

Quote from Sir_Asura on 07/10/08 at 01:15:35:
GameFAQs... while not the most reliable news source, has a thread that basically confirms a lot of the speculations we've been having here... EVEN the more unlikely ones SPOILERS

coughcrossdressingcough.

I totally called it. Totally. Anyways, I'll keep P4 spoilers very brief. They don't spoil the game for me, but most forums have gone crazy. Here are some spoiler-free comments from someone playing the game in JP from the Neogaf forums; which are more reliable.

"So, I don't want to spoil much, but so far, in the 4 hours I've played, the game is already darker than P3 in its entirety. Blood stained bedrooms, bodies tied to telephone poles, a TV that shows snippets of a future murder...the game is as dark and freaky as P2EP was.

The police, so far, play a huge role in the game. Midnight police sirens signal impending murder, and the ever-present police tape and officers is a scary sign of murder and intrigue in an otherwise quiet town.

For me personally, the game also holds a special place because I work in the countryside of Japan. The character lives in a neighborhood that I find personally very familiar. While I do go into the city a TON and enjoyed Persona 3 for that reason, there's something inherently creepy and forbidding about the Japanese countryside, despite its tranquility. I'm 4 hours in, and I've fought 3 battles. That is not an exaggeration."

The last line was included because it bothers me. A. Lot....

RMarques

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #197 - 07/11/08 at 22:03:44

Sounds pretty on par with Persona 3, if memory serves me right. Actually, sounds like it has MORE action than the first four hours of Persona 3.

Eikichi Girl

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #198 - 07/11/08 at 22:18:04

Really? I could've sworn P3's wait was about an hour or two.

Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #199 - 07/11/08 at 23:18:34

Not only that but P3's opening was really boring.  I mean... at least this one has violent deaths and stuff and hot cops to keep us entertained. Jeez.

Eikichi Girl

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #200 - 07/11/08 at 23:38:52

You find the cops hot? Maybe the Uncle, but the others not so much.

Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #201 - 07/11/08 at 23:40:14

Duh, the uncle.  I'm just being flippant.

Side note: I don't think Kanji is datable, but I do think he's gay... I was snooping about and he seems like the homophobic homosexual through and through.

citizen zero
Less Newbies

I love blastbeat!!!

Reply #202 - 07/12/08 at 13:13:55

so you really wanna know who Naoto and Kuma actually are? *spoiler alert*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrSS_YzGGXI

well, i`m waiting for a black midget in a fox costume!!!

View Profile   IP Logged
Choooo

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #203 - 07/12/08 at 15:18:19

Oh wow look how WACKY AND ZANY IT IS!  That scene is as funny and entertaining as Love  Hina.

View Profile   IP Logged
RMarques

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #204 - 07/12/08 at 18:30:14

Owch. Damn that's harsh.

Eikichi Girl

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #205 - 07/12/08 at 18:48:03

Must. Resist.....Major spoilers!!!  

BTW, does anyone here have the OST yet?

Emilio Morales

Lone Wolf

Reply #206 - 07/12/08 at 19:18:54

Quote from Eikichi Girl on 07/12/08 at 18:48:03:
Must. Resist.....Major spoilers!!!

BTW, does anyone here have the OST yet?

Only the opening song.

Eikichi Girl

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #207 - 07/12/08 at 20:22:32

Is it illegal on the board for me to say I want it? Because I do. I really do. Email it to me, dood.

Choooo

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #208 - 07/12/08 at 20:24:31

Quote from RMarques on 07/12/08 at 18:30:14:
Owch. Damn that's harsh.

But you see, they (highlight for spoilers)have the girls checking out each other's breasts, something that only happens in Japanese vidja cartoons, but then WOAH the guys accidentally walk in on the wimmenfolk, and the women start chunking the wash basins at he guys! HOW ZANY IS THAT?!

View Profile   IP Logged
RMarques

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #209 - 07/12/08 at 21:15:06

Quote from Choooo on 07/12/08 at 20:24:31:
Quote from RMarques on 07/12/08 at 18:30:14:
Owch. Damn that's harsh.

But you see, they (highlight for spoilers)have the girls checking out each other's breasts, something that only happens in Japanese vidja cartoons, but then WOAH the guys accidentally walk in on the wimmenfolk, and the women start chunking the wash basins at he guys! HOW ZANY IS THAT?!

.... Oh for the love of...

Eikichi Girl

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #210 - 07/12/08 at 21:57:23

Don't act as if you don't love shenanigans. Everybody loves a good shenanigan.

RMarques

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #211 - 07/13/08 at 08:24:40

Yes. Keyword being good. Having (LOL SPOILERS!) girls just randomly check out each other's breasts and then all of a sudden, guys walk in, and a massacre ensues is not what I'd call good shenanigans.

Choooo

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #212 - 07/13/08 at 15:15:35

The worst part is that's what happens in every cartoon, comic book, and video game that features such a scene.

View Profile   IP Logged
SHODAN

I Wub Nodens-Wodens

Reply #213 - 07/13/08 at 15:54:17

....how is that NOT good shenanigans? At least the massacre part

Louis Cypher

Reply #214 - 07/13/08 at 16:12:12

SHO-chan loves hitting people~

View Profile   IP Logged
Eikichi Girl

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #215 - 07/13/08 at 16:14:56

Who doesn't? It's a great stress relief exercise.

RMarques

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #216 - 07/13/08 at 18:07:57

Massacre? Yay.

Circumstances that lead to the massacre? Not yay.

Eikichi Girl

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #217 - 08/14/08 at 09:34:37

I'll use my magic powers to bump this thread. We do have an American site now, and it has updated, but there are no videos up yet.

http://www.atlus.com/persona4/

Just in case anyone was wondering. It sorta pisses me off. When do they plan to start showing us the English game? Also, Blue Laguna, which is a great site for RPG music, has updated with a section for P4's soundtrack in case anyone wants to hear it.

« Last Edit: 08/14/08 at 10:41:38 by Eikichi Girl »  
RMarques

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #218 - 08/14/08 at 16:18:13

The lack of videos either means that they're really working hard on it, and will only reveal something when they're happy with the voice actor's performances (I hope Wendee Lee does Chie's voice), or, they are still doing all the editing/translation and the dubbing will be the last thing they'll do.  Cheesy

About the soundtrack: P4's remix of Burn my Dread is far funnier than it should be.

Emilio Morales

Lone Wolf

Reply #219 - 08/14/08 at 16:34:39

<Out of topic>

Does anyone have the lyrics of the P4 Battle Theme?

</Out of topic>

Choooo

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #220 - 08/14/08 at 18:53:37

Now I face out I hold out
I reach out to the truth of my life
Seeking to seize on the whole moment, yeah

Yeah / Naked truth lies only if you realize
Appearing in nobody's eyes until they sterilize
Stop the guerrilla warfare to keep it fair
Bro change your rage to a smarter greater cause
You know the stake is high stardom is near
Those who sympathized you die killers pass by
Do not waste your time in hating flirting guys
Use your might to AIs do justice to them all

Now I face out I hold out
I reach out to the truth of my life
Seeking to seize on the whole moment to now break away
Oh God let me out Can you let me out
Can you set me free from this dark inner world
Save me now Last beat in the soul

View Profile   IP Logged
Emilio Morales

Lone Wolf

Reply #221 - 08/14/08 at 20:22:06

Thank you very much, Choooo! Cheesy

RMarques

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #222 - 08/29/08 at 18:49:15

*casts recarm on the thread*

Well one of the voice actors has been confirmed... Through an interview with said voice actor. Yuri Lowenthal (Ryoji, Main and Pharos in P3, and Serph in DDS) as Yousuke.

Spider Bike

Reply #223 - 08/29/08 at 21:44:35

Quote from Emilio Morales on 08/14/08 at 20:22:06:
Thank you very much, Choooo! Cheesy

Your smiley has downsy eyes.

View Profile   IP Logged
Rebellion
Less Newbies

Wandering Lost Soul

Reply #224 - 08/30/08 at 00:49:05

Not bad,that is good news to hear about one voice actor in P4 so far.

I wonder who else they will bring in.
Voice actors from the previous game? Or brand new ones?

View Profile   IP Logged
Choooo

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #225 - 08/30/08 at 01:01:31

Apparently Steve Prince is on board too. He apparently played Takaya in P3.

View Profile   IP Logged
RMarques

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #226 - 08/30/08 at 06:38:48

I'm not surprised if most of the voice actors are the same they used in Persona 3 or maybe in DDS. The dubs for those games were very well received, and other than a few characters *coughcough*Fuuka*coughcough*Ken*coughcough*Natsuki*coughcough*Chidori*coughcoug
h* the actors did a very good job.

Eikichi Girl

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #227 - 09/01/08 at 15:24:22

Quote from RMarques on 08/29/08 at 18:49:15:
*casts recarm on the thread*

Well one of the voice actors has been confirmed... Through an interview with said voice actor. Yuri Lowenthal (Ryoji, Main and Pharos in P3, and Serph in DDS) as Yousuke.

Interesting choice. Yousuke's voice always sounded deeper to me. I was pretty sure that they'd use Junpei's voice actor for him.

Raidou11
Less Newbies

Reply #228 - 10/13/08 at 13:31:21

The Persona 4 dub seems pretty good. Looks like Atlus did a great job again.

As for the Junes theme, it sounds rather strange, but its fine.. I guess. Chie sounds older than the original version, yet its still good. I guess replacing Kugi's voice with dub would definitely change the Rise character entirely, but this is the meaning of localization, so it shouldn't harm the game in any way. The only disappointing thing about the dub is that they actually change Kuma's name to Teddie, but since I probably won't use the character anyways, it doesn't matter. After all, I can only have a party of 4 in battle and the protagonist counts as one already. I intend on using a team consist of Naoto, Rise, and Yousuke. Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
bullman422
Less Newbies

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #229 - 11/05/08 at 15:33:09

I think the Persona 4 dubs are okay with the Detective's voice over coming off the best.

View Profile   IP Logged
RMarques

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #230 - 11/05/08 at 17:53:44

Quote from Raidou11 on 10/13/08 at 13:31:21:
I intend on using a team consist of Naoto, Rise, and Yousuke. Smiley

... So, you'll fight with only three people?

Rebellion
Less Newbies

Wandering Lost Soul

Reply #231 - 12/22/08 at 16:55:24

I would have to say,it is great hearing Yuri's voice through out the game...really loving the character Yosuke. He's good in battle and just a funny character to hang out with.Also like Kanji,he says some good and funny quotes and it seems Yosuke seems to enjoy making fun of him with the "is he your type?" jokes.Which is funny,since he reminds me of my friends.

Overall,it's been an exciting game to play,the social links seem more faster to level than in P3.And the characters have been really useful,even Teddie,which I really thought I would never use him at all,but I've been using him for boss battles lately.

View Profile   IP Logged
Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #232 - 12/23/08 at 18:16:43

Uhm.  Although I've had fun playing it so far, I am going to have to try this game on Hard mode because so far it's way, way, way too easy.  My only problem will be if I can't carry over things into my New Game + because I hate having to endure the tedium of refusing decent personas.  

Has anyone else noticed that once you figure out flaws in the press turn-oriented battle systems, you can basically beat any boss using the same strategies since well... Nocturne.  For instance, Kanji's boss could've owned me if it stopped trying to undo Yosuke's Dekaja every turn--instead I just slowly beat him with my unhealed, unleveled party. I think the "buffs" are kind of like the easiest way to out think the patterns most bosses use.

Oh, and anyone else think it's weird that not one of the supporting cast members can use any of the -nda spells?  I kinda miss Akihiko.

RMarques

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #233 - 12/25/08 at 08:19:26

Quote from Sir_Asura on 12/23/08 at 18:16:43:
Uhm.  Although I've had fun playing it so far, I am going to have to try this game on Hard mode because so far it's way, way, way too easy.  My only problem will be if I can't carry over things into my New Game + because I hate having to endure the tedium of refusing decent personas.  

You can use your personas from the previous playthrough if you have enough money to buy them at the compendium. But if you try to fuse them, they'll still require you being at the right level.

Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #234 - 12/26/08 at 05:21:13

Cool.  I read somewhere that money and the amount of personas you can have carries over as well?  If so, that's kind of hilarious.  I could potentially be sooooo over powered in the beginning.

Rebellion
Less Newbies

Wandering Lost Soul

Reply #235 - 12/26/08 at 16:44:54

Heh,in a way I find that funny since,I've heard from others it's hard for them...well it is hard at the beginning but later on,I would have to agree,it has become really easy.As long as you are prepared with the right personas with the nulls and repels,along with support spells it is just easy at it can get.

Yeah,it's pretty much the same thing with P3,mostly everything crosses over except for Social Links.

View Profile   IP Logged
bullman422
Less Newbies

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #236 - 03/09/09 at 13:30:17

I finally beat this game for the second time with my demon compendium at 100% complete.  Definitely easier the second time around as I blew through most boss battles.  Granted only the Ultimate Boss had me back on the defensive but even that one wasn't as challenging as the one in Persona 3.  

The only bad thing now is that I'll have to wait until mid May (when Devil Summoner 2 comes out) before I can enjoy some more Megaten goodness.  Either that or maybe I should replay Digital Devil Saga or Noctourne while I wait.   Cheesy

View Profile   IP Logged
Spider Bike

Reply #237 - 05/30/09 at 01:55:29

Quote from bullman422 on 03/09/09 at 13:30:17:
I finally beat this game for the second time with my demon compendium at 100% complete.  Definitely easier the second time around as I blew through most boss battles.  Granted only the Ultimate Boss had me back on the defensive but even that one wasn't as challenging as the one in Persona 3.  

The only bad thing now is that I'll have to wait until mid May (when Devil Summoner 2 comes out) before I can enjoy some more Megaten goodness.  Either that or maybe I should replay Digital Devil Saga or Noctourne while I wait.   Cheesy

Sounds like you need a life.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print