Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Megaten Haven the SMT Bulletin Board
04/24/24 at 05:12:47
News:
Home Help Search Login Register

Poll
Question: Would You Want To See A Movie Adaption of SMT?

YES...but with full involvement from Atlus
NO...would bring the games too main stream
Movie for SMT 1,2 and Nocturne, no sub series
Games would not work as a movie
I Like Badgers
I'm A Spartan

« Created by: Angel Heart on: 03/30/08 at 19:05:52 »

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
SMT Movie (Read 12034 times)
Angel Heart
Less Newbies

The Devil That Lives
In Georgia

SMT Movie
03/30/08 at 19:05:52

A friend and I where talking about how awful VG movie's tend to be and the subject of a Megaten movie came up. There all for it, I'm sorta against it. Any thoughts, opinions and so forth? Smiley

Moo
View Profile   IP Logged
0kami7777

I Love Jack Frost!

Re: SMT Movie
Reply #1 - 03/30/08 at 20:38:47

Last year a few of my freinds got together over the weekend and thought it would be funny to make what a trailer for a Persona 2 movie would look like (a mock trailer, not real). We filmed a few days worth of footage with our crappy school's camera and then we spliced up footage in iMovie. It was fun but the product is well...it's for laughs, trust me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9OvPtm8qZs

Enjoy. And be thankful that there isn't a SMT movie. Though if planned out, I'm sure a stand-alone story wouldn't be too half bad.

View Profile   IP Logged
Spider Bike

Reply #2 - 03/30/08 at 22:05:40

This poll needs a "no" option.

View Profile   IP Logged
Brand
YaBB Administrator

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #3 - 04/01/08 at 23:09:26

Quote from Alizarin on 03/30/08 at 22:05:40:
This poll needs a "no" option.

I agree.

Video game movies have pretty much been proven to be crap.  I don't think it's worth it, it would be more painful then anything.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
EzraSolomon
Less Newbies

Mind Your True Bee

Reply #4 - 04/15/08 at 23:43:31

>> I think an SMT movie could work if they played to the horror/invasion aspect, a la The Host or Cloverfield (I mean the horrible-things-descend-on-city part, not the shaky camera part). Probably ditch the magnetite usage. Also a sweet fight between the Hero (plus party) and Gotou (plus underwear and black evil slime things), or with Yuriko, or...

Never mind. They'll probably just give it to Owe Bo... *dies*

Email View Profile   IP Logged
SHODAN

I Wub Nodens-Wodens

Reply #5 - 04/15/08 at 23:46:04

I'd say forget about SMT or Megaten and do March of the Penguins but with Prinnies

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Spider Bike

Reply #6 - 04/16/08 at 00:03:36

Quote from SHODAN on 04/15/08 at 23:46:04:
I'd say forget about SMT or Megaten and do March of the Penguins but with Prinnies

You could never get enough footage. One bump and a chainsplosion would end all filming.

View Profile   IP Logged
Angel Heart
Less Newbies

The Devil That Lives
In Georgia

Reply #7 - 04/16/08 at 13:33:27

Quote from EzraSolomon on 04/15/08 at 23:43:31:
>> I think an SMT movie could work if they played to the horror/invasion aspect, a la The Host or Cloverfield (I mean the horrible-things-descend-on-city part, not the shaky camera part). Probably ditch the magnetite usage. Also a sweet fight between the Hero (plus party) and Gotou (plus underwear and black evil slime things), or with Yuriko, or...

Never mind. They'll probably just give it to Owe Bo... *dies*

Ow crap I forgot that he is still working. Maybe I should fix the poll for the no option

Moo
View Profile   IP Logged
neonecron

I Love Jack Frost!
Persona Text?

Reply #8 - 04/17/08 at 01:35:39

No way they could do this a movie successfully unless it was for art over entertainment.
and even then it would still be too hard.

Here is a signature. I rushed this badly so don't kill yoke.
Email View Profile WWW neonecron   IP Logged
Spider Bike

Reply #9 - 04/17/08 at 01:41:42

Yeah, no need to assume Uwe Boll is the sole reason for shitty game movies.

View Profile   IP Logged
MutheSquirrel

Hanged Man

Reply #10 - 04/17/08 at 07:33:24

...why would it matter if they were main stream...? Uh, anyway, no. Pretty much for the same reason Brand said. Whenever I think of video games becoming movies I think of Street Fighter..and Escape from New York...

I dream of the day Vegetable Lamb turns up in a Megaten game... ;-;
Email View Profile MutheSquirrel lordclaws   IP Logged
Angel Heart
Less Newbies

The Devil That Lives
In Georgia

Reply #11 - 04/17/08 at 10:13:35

Quote from MutheSquirrel on 04/17/08 at 07:33:24:
...why would it matter if they were main stream...? Uh, anyway, no. Pretty much for the same reason Brand said. Whenever I think of video games becoming movies I think of Street Fighter..and Escape from New York...

The mainstream option was just for those losers that believes creators "sell out" when there creations hit it big

Moo
View Profile   IP Logged
Spider Bike

Reply #12 - 04/17/08 at 22:11:16

Since when was Escape from New york a movie adaptation of a video game?

View Profile   IP Logged
neonecron

I Love Jack Frost!
Persona Text?

Reply #13 - 04/18/08 at 17:51:35

Quote from Angel Heart on 04/17/08 at 10:13:35:

The mainstream option was just for those losers that believes creators "sell out" when there creations hit it big

Yes, but look at the style the games are.

Angel Heart
Less Newbies

The Devil That Lives
In Georgia

Reply #14 - 04/18/08 at 18:41:58

Quote from neonecron on 04/18/08 at 17:51:35:
Quote from Angel Heart on 04/17/08 at 10:13:35:

Yes, but look at the style the games are.

?????

Moo
View Profile   IP Logged
Kanzato
Less Newbies

I <3 Jack Frost!

Reply #15 - 04/19/08 at 12:56:30

Seeing the live action they do with the commercials.. they're fun, but they're commercials quality. I wouldn't mind some live action as bonus with a game or something.

Ayato
Less Newbies

long live the new
flesh

Reply #16 - 06/08/08 at 23:59:04

David Lynch, Jodorowsky, or the Brothers Quay could make a badass megaten movie. My personal pics anyway.

Email View Profile Ayato9   IP Logged
0kami7777

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #17 - 06/10/08 at 21:23:04

^ David Lynch...hmmm...If he did a SMT series movie, I imagine either the part where the main character goes to the Velvet Room in Persona or the Master's library in Nocturne, would look pretty much like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMXjjHFz__A

View Profile   IP Logged
0kami7777

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #18 - 06/26/08 at 21:31:22

I think they would have to conceive of a whole new story that while followed the outline and themes of the games (the rules, if you will) would have to be self contained. It's hard to translate the hours of gameplay an SMT game takes into a film.

I do have all summer though and a nice program called Celtex that's perfect for screenplays and stageplays. I could think up perhaps an SMT or Persona movie, but it wouldn't follow any of the game. Maybe some other people here could think up some plots just for the heck of it?

View Profile   IP Logged
Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #19 - 06/26/08 at 22:32:43

Personally... I think Persona should become a TV drama.  It'd either be the most hilarious live action series ever, or really compelling. .... I also would vote to have it take place not in Japan, or if in Japan, maybe at an international school... as a compromise.

View Profile ErringArgonaut   IP Logged
Angel Heart
Less Newbies

The Devil That Lives
In Georgia

Reply #20 - 06/26/08 at 23:44:17

Quote from 0kami7777 on 06/26/08 at 21:31:22:
I think they would have to conceive of a whole new story that while followed the outline and themes of the games (the rules, if you will) would have to be self contained. It's hard to translate the hours of gameplay an SMT game takes into a film.

I do have all summer though and a nice program called Celtex that's perfect for screenplays and stageplays. I could think up perhaps an SMT or Persona movie, but it wouldn't follow any of the game. Maybe some other people here could think up some plots just for the heck of it?

I wished we had a higher character mark than 5500 cuz' I've got something lol

Moo
View Profile   IP Logged
0kami7777

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #21 - 06/26/08 at 23:48:26

Yeah...I think I'm going to ahead and come upwith something. A Persona game's plot but with original characters, and I hate to say it, but i think it might be set in America (though this time with it being INTENTIONALLY set there, not one of those let's whitewash Japan and change people's races P1 jobs).  

If anything, the key to Persona is its artsy vibes and its character analysis, plus the varying degrees of psychological elements.

But a question first. Implement the Velvet room, right? Wink

View Profile   IP Logged
0kami7777

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #22 - 07/01/08 at 18:01:03

Well, I started writing up a rough outline of characters and some plot based ideas. Right now I'm torn between a weird amalgam of the first three Persona games or a totally new plot altogether with no referances or character roles similar to the first three games.  

For example, a problem I'm stuck with is that 3 of the cahracters are basically American versions of Tastuya, Katusyam and Maya (a school kid, his brother detective, and a reporter) but it's not really them so it feels odd. Everyone else is mostly secular.

View Profile   IP Logged
RMarques

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #23 - 07/01/08 at 19:37:51

Well then fool around with them a bit. Make one have a lazy eye, make the detective brother a detective sister, give someone a drinking problem, something that makes them a bit different from the base. Tongue

Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #24 - 07/01/08 at 22:06:25

I had some ideas for characters that were based on racial stereotypes/stigmas.  Have you thought about adding characters who are perhaps 1st or 2nd generation Americans?  Adding the ethnic factor is something that is sorta (but not completely) unique to the American setting.

View Profile ErringArgonaut   IP Logged
0kami7777

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #25 - 07/01/08 at 23:31:45

I have been working on a book sort of like the Persona series that deals with multi-ethnic inner city kids. I'll probably have a few diversified characters, but race won't be the focus.

View Profile   IP Logged
Raidou11
Less Newbies

Reply #26 - 07/13/08 at 14:44:31

Sounds good, but it better not be live-action. That doesn't work for megaten games!

View Profile   IP Logged
crimsonutterfly
Newbies

Oh, yes, I do
comprehend.

Reply #27 - 07/13/08 at 15:28:04

augh double nay ;;

View Profile   IP Logged
Ikkaris
Less Newbies

The Amazing
Sword-swallowing Man

Reply #28 - 08/04/08 at 00:09:53

Mmm perhaps Persona would work better for a movie. P3 in particular is cheesy enough.
Id cast White Fang as Koromaru, Jude Law as Ryoji and  Megan Fox as Mitsuru. Rawr Wink

View Profile   IP Logged
reprogamado
Newbies

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #29 - 08/05/08 at 02:45:13

The whole thing about high school students/demons makes me thinks about go-nagai kinda thing... of course ol go nagai was way to far from computers but gakuen shinigamis shure was his thing... So there is a japanese real action movie of devilman, which is a way of visualize how an actual movie about shin megami tensei could possibly look. the there are some other strange japanese movie, cashern, about a tatsunoko hero, much more arty than the devilman movie, which is another way of visualize how could be a japanes take on this kind of story. last, lets not forget about one of the early spin off of the shin megami tensei games, called SMT IF..., the first game that actualy takes place in a high school. It is said that this game is based or influenced but a british cult movie called IF..., from the sixties, starring Malcom Mc Dowel and directed by Lindsay Anderson. This movie is about a school where misterious things start to happen to students and then some kind of rebellion came up... And thats as far as I can go thinking about movies and SMT...

View Profile   IP Logged
neonecron

I Love Jack Frost!
Persona Text?

Reply #30 - 08/14/08 at 17:47:59

That's pretty cool

Vicious1915
Newbies

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #31 - 01/04/09 at 09:04:36

Quote from 0kami7777 on 03/30/08 at 20:38:47:
Last year a few of my freinds got together over the weekend and thought it would be funny to make what a trailer for a Persona 2 movie would look like (a mock trailer, not real). We filmed a few days worth of footage with our crappy school's camera and then we spliced up footage in iMovie. It was fun but the product is well...it's for laughs, trust me.

Enjoy. And be thankful that there isn't a SMT movie. Though if planned out, I'm sure a stand-alone story wouldn't be too half bad.

Well I have to say, that was a very very decent attempt, and really good casting for having no budget and, I'm assuming, remaining in your own local area. I loved it!

Spider Bike

Reply #32 - 05/21/09 at 03:35:17

Quote from Vicious1915 on 01/04/09 at 09:04:36:
Quote from 0kami7777 on 03/30/08 at 20:38:47:

Well I have to say, that was a very very decent attempt, and really good casting for having no budget and, I'm assuming, remaining in your own local area. I loved it!

I didn't. I thought it was terrible.

View Profile   IP Logged
cattz
Newbies

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #33 - 05/31/09 at 16:17:32

I had to register just so I could stress how miserable it would be.

If you guys have Share (japanese p2p program) you could download the megaten t.v. show.

The cg is beyond ridiculous and horrid when mixed in with the live action.

At best they could make it an anime with today's production values/animation unlike the past one.

View Profile   IP Logged
Spider Bike

Reply #34 - 06/01/09 at 00:02:39

Quote from cattz on 05/31/09 at 16:17:32:
I had to register just so I could stress how miserable it would be.

If you guys have Share (japanese p2p program) you could download the megaten t.v. show.

The cg is beyond ridiculous and horrid when mixed in with the live action.

At best they could make it an anime with today's production values/animation unlike the past one.

As much as I'd like to see an SMT japanimation rather than a live action CGI clusterfuck, I'd rather SMT stay in the form it's in now. Game form.

View Profile   IP Logged
Mudo
Less Newbies

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #35 - 08/28/09 at 12:17:13

No.  I like SMT underground. =/

Really though, if they made a live action movie, it would suck balls like the other 99% of videogame movies.  An animated movie, though, could be interesting.

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print