Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Megaten Haven the SMT Bulletin Board
03/29/24 at 04:36:53
News:
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Megami Tensei 2. (Read 3203 times)
King of Dusk
Newbies

I Love Jack Frost!

Megami Tensei 2.
04/12/08 at 19:46:15

I've been playing through it and I must admit I'm stuck. Has anyone beaten this game yet and could give me a hand?

View Profile   IP Logged
Spider Bike

Re: Megami Tensei 2.
Reply #1 - 04/12/08 at 23:31:05

I won't touch it. Even if I had played, I would have no clue how to help you. Try being less vague about the situation.

View Profile   IP Logged
King of Dusk
Newbies

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #2 - 04/13/08 at 00:20:49

I am asking if anyone has played the game first, because where I am stuck is rather complex and will take numerous references especially since I can't read Japanese. Thus I want to find out if anyone knows about the game first, then details.

View Profile   IP Logged
Isao Kronos

Remodeled Teacher

Reply #3 - 04/13/08 at 13:18:34

Stop playing the game and wait for the translation of the SNES remake, that's your best bet.

[center]
View Profile   IP Logged
King of Dusk
Newbies

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #4 - 04/14/08 at 11:36:34

Well I'm the sort of person who just can't give up when a game gives me a challenge. That and I've seen so many translations go belly up I don't trust them until there done. Plan A is to go everywhere and talk to everyone. Plan B. Buy a japanese guide book and hope it gives enough info to help.

View Profile   IP Logged
SHODAN

I Wub Nodens-Wodens

Reply #5 - 04/15/08 at 01:07:22

Oh lord, you're in a pickle, Jenkins.

If there's any katakana around, that's the easiest to read. I'm sure there's online "dictionaries" of sorts, use them as reference and be prepared to write alot of stuff down to keep track of where you're going/where you've been.

(..I played Pokemon Green like this 9 or so years ago, cough)

If it's all hiragana though, you'll need to well, actually know some japanese..sentence structure and etc.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
King of Dusk
Newbies

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #6 - 04/15/08 at 20:46:22

Someone managed to link me to some Japanese online walkthroughs and with the help of google translator I've made considerable gains.

Expect a review when I finish the game.

View Profile   IP Logged
Spider Bike

Reply #7 - 04/15/08 at 21:34:42

Quote from King of Dusk on 04/15/08 at 20:46:22:
Expect a review when I finish the game.

Fuck yes, my birthday is here early.

View Profile   IP Logged
King of Dusk
Newbies

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #8 - 04/16/08 at 00:33:40

Glad to know you're looking forward to it. I'll be sure to inform you directly when it's done. Perhaps fly over your house and drop fliers with the review on it or get a megaphone and shout it to you from your front lawn all day and night. Whatever takes my fancy.

View Profile   IP Logged
Nickless One
Less Newbies

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #9 - 07/04/08 at 16:57:05

I have just reached the last boss, so ask what you want.

Email View Profile   IP Logged
Brand
YaBB Administrator

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #10 - 09/27/08 at 18:17:29

Maybe a general review of the game?  I'd like to know more about it in general.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Nickless One
Less Newbies

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #11 - 10/06/08 at 10:02:16

I wrote something about its story there : http://sumarucity.com/megami/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1201190215 .
I've only played the SNES Kyuuyaku version, but judging by the gameplay videos on Nicovideo and the few things i've been able to translate from japanese walkthroughs almost nothing was changed.

The first one is quite a nightmare to play through. The giant dungeon can get very boring at times, especially with the lack of Estma, there is very little to actually do, as you'll need so much backtracking for every single quest that you'll probably end up overpowered through grinding anyway, and THE MONSTERS ARE DULL ! even though this is a SMT title ! There are too many palette/head swaps, too few different abilities and even the designs are not up to par (especially in the NES version).  

The second, on the other hand, is almost as good as the first Shin. It adds a map, with many smaller and more reasonable dungeons, 3-monster fusion (and an unnecessarily complex sistem of Seirei, with 12 members ), better and more varied monsters and abilities, and a story with some two-way choices (pity i'll not be able to actually confirm anything about what changes, having lost my saves JUST BEFORE FIGHTING THE USUAL MR.FLOATINGFACE !).
Overall, a very good game.

Email View Profile   IP Logged
Spider Bike

Reply #12 - 05/21/09 at 03:40:43

Quote from Nickless One on 10/06/08 at 10:02:16:
THE MONSTERS ARE DULL ! even though this is a SMT title ! There are too many palette/head swaps,

Someone hasn't played enough sMT if this is news.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print