Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Megaten Haven the SMT Bulletin Board
04/18/24 at 23:43:16
News:
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New system... (Read 6035 times)
MutheSquirrel

Hanged Man

New system...
05/11/08 at 18:07:12

This forum needs more topics! >=O

So yes, what do you think of the new summoning and battle system of the latest Devil Summoner? Dead in the water or showing promise?

Question for old DS players: I don't speak Japanese, so I haven't played the old ones... was their system the same as the original SMT's?

I dream of the day Vegetable Lamb turns up in a Megaten game... ;-;
Email View Profile MutheSquirrel lordclaws   IP Logged
Choooo

I Love Jack Frost!

Re: New system...
Reply #1 - 05/12/08 at 21:29:00

Quote:
Question for old DS players: I don't speak Japanese, so I haven't played the old ones... was their system the same as the original SMT's?

More or less, but the Devil Summoner games incorporated Loyalty into the system. Loyalty actually means something in the old games, as the lower a demon's loyalty, the greater chance they would ignore your orders.

View Profile   IP Logged
Sutrax
Less Newbies

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #2 - 06/11/08 at 09:43:25

I really love the battle system in Radou Kuzunoha. It makes leveling up a joy, not a hassle. Plus it gives it that edge when you don't tell your demons what to do and they just do whatever they feel like doing. So I believe it has promise.

Email View Profile   IP Logged
biggsyke

Kaneko Fan

Reply #3 - 06/11/08 at 16:57:28

Yeah, seeing as how every other SMT related game is RPG, turn or press-turn based, Raidou Kuzunoha is refreshing.  
I think the camera angles could have used some work, but the battles were very fun. I liked running around the towns among all the people, knowing that a random demon could pop out of nowhere and a battle would ensue.
Raidou himself could have maybe had more skills other than his sword and gun, some kind of magic or something. And maybe being able to summon more than one partner at a time, but that might get crazy.
And I really like Kaya!

Who would win between Possessed Kaya and Kei Sagami from Maken Shao?

View Profile   IP Logged
MutheSquirrel

Hanged Man

Reply #4 - 06/15/08 at 19:11:26

I personally think it shows promise, but it's VERY primitive and needs a lot of refining. I mean, healing demons would heal you if you'd lost 1HP...

They need something more of a "gambit" system for the AI allies. That would at least allow more skills and more straturgy.

I dream of the day Vegetable Lamb turns up in a Megaten game... ;-;
Email View Profile MutheSquirrel lordclaws   IP Logged
Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #5 - 06/15/08 at 22:49:27

Yeah, I totally agree.  I never could get over how quickly demons would waste their MP in the game.  I still really enjoyed playing through the game, but I think the battle system left a lot to be desired.  For instance, Raidou could /really/ benefit from having more attacks to execute.  Also, it was a little too easy to save your demon's ass by resummoning them closer to you.  

That being said I think the investigation/exploration and visual elements of the game were fantastic.  I love anything that puts a little time travel/altered history in too, as far as story goes.

I didn't really like the fusion system in this game though.  There's no reason for it to be so simple and fairly disengaging.  I think it could've been spiced up.  Also disappointing about fusion was that the highest level demons were never necessary, and while I really liked the game, I didn't like it enough to grind to high levels to just access them.  The challenge could've been pushed in all areas so that the rewards would've been greater for the player.

View Profile ErringArgonaut   IP Logged
Choooo

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #6 - 06/16/08 at 14:18:21

It isn't so much that fusion is too simple, but I was kind of annoyed that skills were so limited that when you did fuse you had the possibility of overwriting the skills a new demon was supposed to learn.

View Profile   IP Logged
Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #7 - 06/16/08 at 16:36:06

Ew, yes.  I just severely disliked the elemental classes each demon fell into.  I know it made sense as far as their "field skills" or whatever were concerned, but I didn't like how it grouped together the demons.  There's no reason that couldn't have been more complex and engaging.  I guess if there were a precedent of using that system in the past, then it's okay.  Especially if it were just a means of making the devil summoner fusion slightly independent from other Megaten games.

View Profile ErringArgonaut   IP Logged
Koolin
Newbies

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #8 - 09/19/12 at 06:26:53

Demons often get their way in different style!

Email View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print