Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Megaten Haven the SMT Bulletin Board
04/19/24 at 06:42:44
News:
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Speculating around SMT I (Read 2520 times)
citizen zero
Less Newbies

I love blastbeat!!!

Speculating around SMT I
05/28/08 at 07:45:30

I got inspired by someone in "Nocturne and Reasons" topic, saying all those Reasons are bullshit.  
I can tell the Reasons, which are made after certain religions, are far less interesting than SMT I paths of Law,Chaos and Neutrality, which I believe to be based on main forms of political regimes.

On the Law path we are supposed to help the charismatic leader, IHVH, crush his opponents. Then the world has to become the place which is ruled only by him and his party, which will support him in any situation. People must obey IHVH or go hang themselves (oh well, there will be a good feat of not being responsible for anything major). It`s kind of precise image of totalitarian state. Yes, the ruler is supposed to be good,kind and just, but IHVH of the game ain`t. And I guess every totalitarian leader can be questioned this way.

On the Chaos path we have Lucifer, who wants no tyranny, and everything to be "totally just". Except the justice through the eyes of Chaos guys is being kinda strange - "the might makes right",yes. What kind of normal coexistence would human minority have with majority of demons with this mindset? In my country, there is a person who keeps saying a joke that democracy is translated as demons` rule, by the way. And the parallels with democratic society are clearly seen - if you have no power and no normal number of followers and supporters democracy does not work for you the right way. In fact, in some countries you are free to assbang whole spare hours but when you come to peacefully protest against your government`s actions, you get teargas, truncheons and rubber bullets. Freedom,huh? Don`t make me laugh.

Neutrality path must have been authoritarian, as something between democracy and totalitarism. But strangely enough, in the game we get kind of anarchist mindset of "no gods, no masters". Well, you can depend only on yourself in the end, so... "change yourself in the way you want the world to change; eat the rich; fuck the system before it fucks you!" Certainly my choice  Roll Eyes

So, what is your choice  and what do you think about that? Wink

View Profile   IP Logged
granitor

Fuse Me With A Cute
Girl, Please.

Re: Speculating around SMT I
Reply #1 - 06/22/08 at 22:15:30

I haven't played nocturne nor finished SMT I (nor II), but I understand the L/N/C distinction... I think it might also be in D&D, but I'm not sure since I don't play D&D and probally never will. Anyhow, I don't necessarily see the Neutral path as antagonistic, but more, self-assertive... I don't know if that's how it plays out in SMT I but I think it would be possible to form a myriad of social networks and moral frameworks, without being overly compliant (Law) or overly aggressive (Chaos).  

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Spider Bike

Reply #2 - 05/21/09 at 03:34:32

My theory: It's an autism dream.

View Profile   IP Logged
Mudo
Less Newbies

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #3 - 08/28/09 at 12:25:33

L/N/C is more clear cut and defined than the Reasons, so yep, I prefer that.  

In SMT especially, every side clearly has their strengths and flaws.  In SMTII...yeah.

Email View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print