Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Megaten Haven the SMT Bulletin Board
04/19/24 at 10:34:25
News:
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Random Battles (Read 8805 times)
citizen zero
Less Newbies

I love blastbeat!!!

Random Battles
06/11/08 at 09:56:27

Anybody out there who loves random battles?  
I started to think about most RPG makers including that shit into almoct every game since 80`s. So... when it`s done like in Wild Arms 2 where you could cancel the battle before it starts when the monster is weaker than you it`s ok, but many other games still go with "come on battle this guys jumping towards you from another dimension every x steps". Maybe someone just likes it that much that it can be used as excuse for putting random battle crap into the games? Any of you?  Wink

View Profile   IP Logged
Sutrax
Less Newbies

I Love Jack Frost!

Re: Random Battles
Reply #1 - 06/11/08 at 10:01:25

Well, I would have to say that I enjoy battling monsters. Ofcourse I am a level up junky. I can sit there for hours for now damn reason but to level up, and that's it. So yes, I do have to say that I enjoy Random Battles most of the time. Sometimes it can get on my nerves, but all in all I enjoy random encounters.

Email View Profile   IP Logged
citizen zero
Less Newbies

I love blastbeat!!!

Reply #2 - 06/11/08 at 10:07:44

scary.

View Profile   IP Logged
Sutrax
Less Newbies

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #3 - 06/11/08 at 10:12:56

Scary? No. Just alot of spair time.

Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #4 - 06/12/08 at 00:56:18

I kind of like random battles in some games, but I still really appreciate when the monster is visible on the battlefield.  Usually if monsters are visible, such as in Grandia II... I will obsessively slaughter them all, and, as a result, probably "grind" more than if random battles were in place.  It's interesting to look at games that have been remade where before there were random battles and after monsters were added to the battle field--the best example being Lunar.  The feel is completely different.

View Profile ErringArgonaut   IP Logged
citizen zero
Less Newbies

I love blastbeat!!!

Reply #5 - 06/12/08 at 07:20:24

and what about the cases like Chrono Cross? where you get to see the monsters but also forced to battle about 80% of them? And most of the battles are boring?

View Profile   IP Logged
Eikichi Girl

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #6 - 06/12/08 at 20:14:45

I only like random battles in game where the combat is really fun. However Bioware games and FFXII have spoiled me with their gameplay so replaying games with random battles can feel like a chore.

Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #7 - 06/13/08 at 16:02:11

Yeah, I was just thinking about how sad it is that I probably won't ever get to play a game that was quite like FFXII again because Square insists on more or less giving each Final Fantasy its own battle system.  12 was paced right; everything I hear about 13 is that it will be "fast paced" which I'll probably find irritating.  I hated the ATB system that reigned throughout the majority of the series because I found it arbitrary and not exactly as "exhilarating" as it was advertised.  10's system was okay, but honestly, it did make playing a chore--I felt obligated to use everyone in every battle because you /could/ without exp/member lessening.

Nevertheless, I agree, 12 spoiled me.  I fell in love with that game which was quite unexpected.

MutheSquirrel

Hanged Man

Reply #8 - 06/15/08 at 18:54:38

Depends on the game really, and the spacing of the random encounters. Some games I've played you get them every couple of damn steps, and it gets very tiresome VERY fast. And of course, as said, the battle system itself plays a major part on how long I can stand it.

Chrono Trigger had an interesting system and one I'd like to see used again some time... sort of a visible/random hybrid.

I think of late a lot of RPG series have been driving away from the random encounter system anyway. Final Fantasy, Persona, Atelier Iris, Valkyrie Profile, etc.

I dream of the day Vegetable Lamb turns up in a Megaten game... ;-;
Email View Profile MutheSquirrel lordclaws   IP Logged
SHODAN

I Wub Nodens-Wodens

Reply #9 - 06/18/08 at 02:31:03

Breath of fire 3 for instance has too many damn random battles.

I don't mind the random battles when they're lessened and fun, like in Legend of Legaia. Any game where you actually have to think a bit is good, or such as Earthbound when you can kill the enemy automatically if you're strong enough. Definitely one of my favorite "systems"

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
mknzy
Global Moderator

Hell Biker

Reply #10 - 06/18/08 at 02:37:00

For me it all depends on the frequency of the random battles and how much variation there is to them.  If you are getting in a fight every couple of steps its annoying, and if they are very static it gets old quick.  But then again I came up on the original DW and FF games as my intro to the genre so I am probally more tolerant than most.

View Profile WWW mknzy mknzy 1099850 JoshFicter   IP Logged
Louis Cypher

Reply #11 - 06/18/08 at 02:37:48

Quote from SHODAN on 06/18/08 at 02:31:03:
Breath of fire 3 for instance has too many damn random battles.

I don't mind the random battles when they're lessened and fun, like in Legend of Legaia. Any game where you actually have to think a bit is good, or such as Earthbound when you can kill the enemy automatically if you're strong enough. Definitely one of my favorite "systems"

I shouldn't have cheated in Legaia... bah.

View Profile   IP Logged
Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #12 - 06/18/08 at 02:53:42

Never played Legend of Legaia...

But I definitely agree about Breath of Fire 3.  I don't think I finished it because I just got so pissed off at how many battles there were.  I really liked it otherwise too.

One thing that also gets me about random battles is how the enemies will be like... in exactly the same formation, combination, same levels, etc.  In other words, as a result, you can keep repeating a very mindless order of attacks to complete the battle.  There needs to be more variation with that stuff if random battles stay. Know what I mean?

Louis Cypher

Reply #13 - 06/18/08 at 03:07:39

I agree with that, but really, not much you can do about that without enemy scaling I'd think, no?

View Profile   IP Logged
Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #14 - 06/18/08 at 03:14:45

I'd have no idea.  I think the problem is fixed by implementing different systems that break up the traditional turn based game play.  Like, you will get the same enemies over and over again in a tales game, but it's not painful because you can execute different things and move around--it's only painful because tales games always have ridiculous encounter rates.  (I don't know how I had the patience to beat Tales of Eternia.)

So... basically, I think a lot of games actually are doing a good job to reinvent turn based play... or evolve away from it in a way that keeps players used to it comfortable...

I still love old school games, but  I just wince every time I consider replaying the original Lunar games because it's just the same battle and the same commands over and over again.  (Still, I'll probably play them over again at least twice in the remainder of my life as long as either my Playstation or Sega Cd versions hold up.)

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print