Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Megaten Haven the SMT Bulletin Board
03/29/24 at 07:57:38
News:
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Random Battles (Read 8792 times)
RMarques

I Love Jack Frost!

Re: Random Battles
Reply #15 - 06/18/08 at 06:02:34

Quote from Sir_Asura on 06/18/08 at 03:14:45:
it's only painful because tales games always have ridiculous encounter rates. (I don't know how I had the patience to beat Tales of Eternia.)

Tales of the Abyss gets major kudos for not having that. The enemies are visible on the map, so they can be avoided (for the most part, since they spawn at random places and times, and they sometimes spawn right next to you, and then you have to battle and face the long loading times on the world map sgdjnbvdnbnbgftnbftgbn).

Quote:
Some games I've played you get them every couple of damn steps, and it gets very tiresome VERY fast.

Hello Digital Devil Saga.

Email View Profile   IP Logged
Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #16 - 06/18/08 at 14:46:17

Yeah, now that I think about it DDS did kind of drive me crazy at some points.  I think I just started using things to lower the encounter rate though...

View Profile ErringArgonaut   IP Logged
RMarques

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #17 - 06/18/08 at 15:15:23

Codes? An item we get when playing the game again after completing it?

Email View Profile   IP Logged
Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #18 - 06/18/08 at 18:40:09

I think it was called "Estoma Spray," and you could buy it from the vendor for like  3,000 macca or something.  I used Magic Reeds when I was noise farming, and then Estoma Spray when I just wanted to get past all of Sera's bs in the Karma Temple.

View Profile ErringArgonaut   IP Logged
granitor

Fuse Me With A Cute
Girl, Please.

Reply #19 - 10/14/08 at 16:12:54

I used to hate random battles, Persona (P1) is the first game in which I don't mind them much, and that's because, I enjoy the negotiation system in that game and it breaks me away from the monotonous backgrounds, but in general I prefer to see enemies and be able to out-run them.

What P3 tried with being able to surprise the enemy, I think is a good idea but badly implemented because of the camera perspective, and timing/range of the weapons, but then in general, I dislike P3 (but I still play it and can have fun despite this).  

Really, I think they only exist because they're easy to program... putting enemies on-screen is much more work, even if they spawn randomly as in ToA or whatever that was mentioned earlier in this thread. Opting out of battles and being able to alter encounter rates should be a part of every RPG, so you can adjust the battle/story balance to your liking.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Saradin
Less Newbies

I Heart Jack Frost

Reply #20 - 10/14/08 at 20:34:46

I love 'em.

For that matter, I don't get why people call DDS's encounter rate high. It doesn't feel high to me. Sometimes not high enough, especially when powerleveling and even after using a magic reed.

View Profile   IP Logged
Nuu
Newbies

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #21 - 10/23/08 at 02:52:57

I actually really like random battles.  I almost never run from them.  
I also tend to run around for hours to level up for the sake of leveling up, and the spell I use most in Nocturne is... riberama.  Hahaha...

View Profile   IP Logged
Patient Demon
Less Newbies

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #22 - 10/28/08 at 18:03:02

I too love random battles, but I'm a sucker for the oldschool. Turn based combat, random battles, etc.

View Profile   IP Logged
ViolenceJack
Less Newbies

Sleep is for
Dreamers

Reply #23 - 05/04/10 at 01:26:41

Battles either Random, or by touching on Screen enemies mainly serve as a means to grind, or to Level your characters, if there were too few of these people would complain about it taking forever to level a character.  

But there should be a nice balance of Battles, and unique things to get out of battles, besides exp.  

I recall the fights in Persona being rather humorous due to the fact that you could talk your way out of a fight, or really piss off the opponets. Sometimes they'd give you items b4 leaving.  

In other games you get compontents for crafting, or you get to capture monsters to work on your team, the most fun skill I recall is the Invite skill from FFT where you could get they enemy to defect and join your side, then after the battle you could boot them.  

Only times I get upset over too many battles, is when the battles just take forever to get through, like in Stella Dues, and note I grinded in that game to the max Lv, it took forever. Or the battles in FFX-2, where you spend a good 5-10 mins barely surviving an overpowered beast, only to get rewarded with crap gil and exp.  

View Profile   IP Logged
Camanchi
Less Newbies

Chaotic good.

Reply #24 - 05/04/10 at 08:18:38

When I first started playing RPG's I loved random battles. I would grind obsessively to get the best equipment, magic, or to just become over powered in general. it made good sections of the game easy/boring, but it was worth it for those games that have really difficult end-game monsters and extras.

Now, I like being able to see what I'm going up against. Random battles are kind of nostalgic to me.

--Up all night, got demons to fight.
View Profile Camanchey   IP Logged
ViolenceJack
Less Newbies

Sleep is for
Dreamers

Reply #25 - 05/04/10 at 12:09:35

I feel that Random Battles let you take in your surroundings and scenery, instead of having to worry about avoiding them. But you wont know what you're up againtst until you enter one.  

Wandering Encounters are good because you can usually avoid them if you need to, but you have to constantly pay attn to the enemies or you'll get pulled into battle.  

Each type has its pros and cons.  

I'm ok with either, so long as the battles dont take 30mins to  an hour.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print