Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Megaten Haven the SMT Bulletin Board
05/03/24 at 07:44:37
News:
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
D&D 4e Opinions and Advices (Read 1843 times)
Emilio Morales

Lone Wolf

D&D 4e Opinions and Advices
08/22/08 at 00:16:25

I've never played D&D in my whole life (only the ones for arcade Cheesy), not even other pen 'n paper games, so I finally decided to lay my eyes to the D&D universe, and finally have the money to buy the 3 Basic Rule Books of the new 4th edition, but I'm curious to read the opinion of D&D players on this edition, 'cause I've read many strong critics against the 4e and that the 3.5 is much better in a lot of ways, but also, I read many good critics about it.

If there are D&D players in here that already bought the 4th edition or have gaming experience, can you please let me know your point of view and opinions?

Thanks Cheesy

Email View Profile WWW Emilio Morales   IP Logged
Spider Bike

Re: D&D 4e Opinions and Advices
Reply #1 - 08/22/08 at 09:15:14

Quote from Emilio Morales on 08/22/08 at 00:16:25:
I've never played D&D in my whole life (only the ones for arcade Cheesy), not even other pen 'n paper games, so I finally decided to lay my eyes to the D&D universe, and finally have the money to buy the 3 Basic Rule Books of the new 4th edition, but I'm curious to read the opinion of D&D players on this edition, 'cause I've read many strong critics against the 4e and that the 3.5 is much better in a lot of ways, but also, I read many good critics about it.

If there are D&D players in here that already bought the 4th edition or have gaming experience, can you please let me know your point of view and opinions?

Thanks Cheesy

I like both rule sets. 4e simplified and streamlined alot of stuff, and made things simpler. They also balanced character classes. For instance, cleric does not outdo a fighter in the combat, wizard does not outdo everyone, and warlock is no longer overpowered/underpowered compared to other casters anymore.

I have no real complaints with 4e, aside from setting complaints, which are fixable. I cannot do any off the wall character builds, or overpowered characters, because the game is built to be more balanced. So, I can't exactly make a two weapon fighting dvati rogue that does 140d6 damage to something on a full hit, or a frenzied berserker that power attacks for 2500+ damage, or a celestial squid with multi attack and 8 guns, but then,  thats because 4e is not made to allow stuff like that. Its made to be balanced.

3.5 was broken, for a lot of reasons. It had some real wonky rules, but once you got them down, they were fine. One thing it has over 4e are options, but then, it's also been longer than 4e.

View Profile   IP Logged
Emilio Morales

Lone Wolf

Reply #2 - 08/22/08 at 11:34:45

Thanks for your reply, Alizarin! Cheesy

Any one else?

citizen zero
Less Newbies

I love blastbeat!!!

Reply #3 - 08/22/08 at 15:18:12

And what about... GURPS?  

View Profile   IP Logged
Serge
Less Newbies

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #4 - 08/25/08 at 11:12:24

Quote from Emilio Morales on 08/22/08 at 00:16:25:

Thanks Cheesy

I like it quite a bit so far, but like the person above me said, a lot of the customization kind of went poof. They did a lot of odd things with it, and I'm really not the biggest fan of a few things, like how... well, I don't even know how to put it. I do like how everyone has powers and everything, and that you can never really run out of spells/special powers, what with at-will attacks and such, but, ehh. I miss some of the fun magic and things used to offer, I guess. Magic felt like... it was something of a big bang, even some of the smaller spells. Although it is nice at the early levels, where it's not like... "Well, I used a magic missile and a sleep spell. I'm going to hide over there now."

I'm a little annoyed at how there are a few modifiers that are harder to get used to... I mean, weapon proficiency now adds a certain amount to each attack bonus, but what amount depends on the weapon? That plus a few other things, the different stats you have to apply to things, when using powers and so forth, it's just a little harder to keep track of. However, I haven't played enough yet, and I haven't gotten to try out that D&D insider stuff either, so, I can't really make a good judgment yet. If playing using the D&D insider stuff helps, well, hey, maybe it'll be even better, but still, I don't know yet. I'm just glad that it feels like at least a bit like a new edition and isn't just another 3.5, you know?

Anyway, another thing that might help you in making your decision... find out what the groups you want to play with are playing first! If the ones around you are all still doing 3.0/3.5, well, you wouldn't want to be stuck with a set of 4th edition books, right? Yep... never made that mistake... nope, not at all. >_> Haha. x_x I had a set of 3.5 books which were only a bit annoying to work with a 3.0 exclusive group, but, you know what I mean.

View Profile   IP Logged
Emilio Morales

Lone Wolf

Reply #5 - 08/25/08 at 12:18:44

Thank you very much Serge  Grin

Spider Bike

Reply #6 - 08/25/08 at 14:51:23

Quote from Serge on 08/25/08 at 11:12:24:

I like it quite a bit so far, but like the person above me said, a lot of the customization kind of went poof. They did a lot of odd things with it, and I'm really not the biggest fan of a few things, like how... well, I don't even know how to put it. I do like how everyone has powers and everything, and that you can never really run out of spells/special powers, what with at-will attacks and such, but, ehh. I miss some of the fun magic and things used to offer, I guess. Magic felt like... it was something of a big bang, even some of the smaller spells. Although it is nice at the early levels, where it's not like... "Well, I used a magic missile and a sleep spell. I'm going to hide over there now."

I'm a little annoyed at how there are a few modifiers that are harder to get used to... I mean, weapon proficiency now adds a certain amount to each attack bonus, but what amount depends on the weapon? That plus a few other things, the different stats you have to apply to things, when using powers and so forth, it's just a little harder to keep track of. However, I haven't played enough yet, and I haven't gotten to try out that D&D insider stuff either, so, I can't really make a good judgment yet. If playing using the D&D insider stuff helps, well, hey, maybe it'll be even better, but still, I don't know yet. I'm just glad that it feels like at least a bit like a new edition and isn't just another 3.5, you know?

Anyway, another thing that might help you in making your decision... find out what the groups you want to play with are playing first! If the ones around you are all still doing 3.0/3.5, well, you wouldn't want to be stuck with a set of 4th edition books, right? Yep... never made that mistake... nope, not at all. >_> Haha. x_x I had a set of 3.5 books which were only a bit annoying to work with a 3.0 exclusive group, but, you know what I mean.

I don't exactly think customization is gone, rather, the way it was done in 3.5 is not how it is done in 4e. I think a lot of criticism people have about 4e is that its not like 3.5, and people want it to be like 3.5 because they like 3.5. Nothing wrong with not liking things because its not 3.5, but criticizing it because of it is like complaining that Shadowrun isn't like Exalted, and Exalted isn't like Gurps, and Gurps isn't like DnD. Its different, and different cannot really be used as a complaint. The only real stuff I see being able to be used as complaints are mechanic problems, because those are real problems.  

Anyway, for weapon modifiers, you just add the proficiency bonus next to the weapon, and whatever the magic bonus is, if any. So, you'd add 3 to your attack with a dagger, longsword, short sword, falchion, greatsword, all superior melee weapons, shurikens, and +2 for everything else. So, for any weapon keyword attack powers (I.E. Everything a ranger, rogue, and fighter uses, and most the paladin and warlord powers,) will be whatever ability mod, plus 2 or 3, plus half your level, plus magic mods, and misc mods. Its actually the same amount of stuff being added that was in 3.5,  just different stuff.

Anyway, Emilio, I definately would ask around to see what everyone is playing. No point in buying 4e stuff if everyone is playing 3.5, or even a different game altogether.

EDIT: Jeez thats an ass ton of text....

View Profile   IP Logged
Emilio Morales

Lone Wolf

Reply #7 - 08/25/08 at 17:55:06

Quote from Alizarin on 08/25/08 at 14:51:23:

Anyway, Emilio, I definately would ask around to see what everyone is playing. No point in buying 4e stuff if everyone is playing 3.5, or even a different game altogether.

Good point, I'm gonna ask around. Anyway, the persons which I think I'm gonna play, they're all new to the game, just like me, so starting with the 4e will not be a problem, I guess it would be the same if I buy the 3.5e and learn with it.  

Thanks for your help, and keep talking about D&D in this thread if you like, I wanna keep reading what you have to say about anything of D&D Wink

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print