Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Megaten Haven the SMT Bulletin Board
03/28/24 at 08:46:07
News:
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
DDS, SMT, Persona voiced or no voiced list (Read 6884 times)
Maverynthia
Less Newbies

I Love Jack Frost!

DDS, SMT, Persona voiced or no voiced list
08/29/08 at 21:34:04

I was looking into getting some of the games and was wanting to know which ones had voices (voice acting) and which ones don't.

All the ones on the SNES and the NES are obviously not voiced, but when they hit the PSX it gets hard to tell.

SMT III: Nocturne == no voice
Perona 1 == voiced?
Persona 2 == voiced?

DOn't know about Devil SUmmoner or the DDS line... :|

I basically want to know this info for which games I want to skip out on (English voices) and what games I want to play (no voices)

View Profile   IP Logged
Spider Bike

Re: DDS, SMT, Persona voiced or no voiced list
Reply #1 - 08/29/08 at 21:43:29

Quote from Maverynthia on 08/29/08 at 21:34:04:
I was looking into getting some of the games and was wanting to know which ones had voices (voice acting) and which ones don't.

All the ones on the SNES and the NES are obviously not voiced, but when they hit the PSX it gets hard to tell.

SMT III: Nocturne == no voice
Perona 1 == voiced?
Persona 2 == voiced?

DOn't know about Devil SUmmoner or the DDS line... :|

I basically want to know this info for which games I want to skip out on (English voices) and what games I want to play (no voices)

Voices are a stupid thing to skip a game over. I'm going to assume you aren't a huge wap that can't play a game without hearing the original Japanese voices, and would therefor skip an otherwise ok game to avoid them.  Rather, when I give you the list, I'm going to assume you just don't like voices, and don't have a mute/volume down button.

In any case, persona 2 has voices, I do not remember persona 1. You didn't ask about persona three, so I'll assume ou already know about that one. DDS 1 and 2 have voices. Devil Summoner for the ps2 does not have voices aside from monster noises if I recall. I don't remember Devil Summoner 1, and I never played two, so I can't help you with those.

« Last Edit: 08/29/08 at 22:52:28 by Spider Bike »  
View Profile   IP Logged
SHODAN

I Wub Nodens-Wodens

Reply #2 - 08/29/08 at 21:51:37

PERSAHHHNUUUUHHHHHHHH
PERSAHNUH
CALL OUT  
YOUR FUCKING PERSONA

Yes the first one has voices but only in battle

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Spider Bike

Reply #3 - 08/29/08 at 22:53:01

Quote from SHODAN on 08/29/08 at 21:51:37:
PERSAHHHNUUUUHHHHHHHH
PERSAHNUH
CALL OUT
YOUR FUCKING PERSONA

Oh jesus I remember that.

View Profile   IP Logged
RMarques

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #4 - 08/30/08 at 07:32:33

Quote from SHODAN on 08/29/08 at 21:51:37:
PERSAHHHNUUUUHHHHHHHH
PERSAHNUH
CALL OUT
YOUR FUCKING PERSONA

Philemon was voiced too.

Email View Profile   IP Logged
Maverynthia
Less Newbies

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #5 - 09/01/08 at 23:34:45

Quote from Alizarin on 08/29/08 at 21:43:29:

Voices are a stupid thing to skip a game over. I'm going to assume you aren't a huge wap that can't play a game without hearing the original Japanese voices, and would therefor skip an otherwise ok game to avoid them. Rather, when I give you the list, I'm going to assume you just don't like voices, and don't have a mute/volume down button.

Voices are a part of the game to be enjoyed with the game and to tell someone to turn them off or mute it  is basically making the game incomplete. Thus, YES I cannot play the game without the Japanese voices. Not because it has to be as Japanese as possible, but because the voices are better, easier on the ears and IN-character for the person. (Though there is the side that I want to know what was ORIGINALLY said seeing as how game companies can't do a good job at a translation.)  

Quote:
In any case, persona 2 has voices, I do not remember persona 1. You didn't ask about persona three, so I'll assume ou already know about that one. DDS 1 and 2 have voices. Devil Summoner for the ps2 does not have voices aside from monster noises if I recall. I don't remember Devil Summoner 1, and I never played two, so I can't help you with those.

So list is:
Persona 1
Persona 2
Persona 3
Digital Devil 1
Digital Devil 2
Devil Summoner 1 - Maybe/maybe not

Thanks for the info Cheesy  

Now the real reason I wanted this list. I'm going to try to make 'Undubs' of the voiced games for those that don't want the English voices and wanted to see which games I needed to go after. Persona 3 and FES is already Undubbed.  

Feel free to throw the wapa/wap/wapanese/whatever-fun-word-4chan-came-up-with insults into the trashbin over there... really some people just like something different and/or something original and/or having a choice.  

View Profile   IP Logged
ariseishirou
Less Newbies

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #6 - 09/03/08 at 00:26:26

[quote author=Maverynthia link=1220060044/0#5 date=1220326485]Quote from Alizarin on 08/29/08 at 21:43:29:

Not because it has to be as Japanese as possible, but because the voices are better, easier on the ears and IN-character for the person. (Though there is the side that I want to know what was ORIGINALLY said seeing as how game companies can't do a good job at a translation.)  

Are you serious? I'm in Japan right now, speak Japanese, and am still waiting for the English release of P4 before I play the game. Why? Because the chicks sound like screeching four-year-olds who could shatter glass when they get excited, and the guys aren't much better. I had some serious complaints about the voice acting in P3 - especially Fuuka - but at least the actors had gone through puberty.

But then, one of the things that I absolutely loved about Nocturne was the lack of voices.

View Profile   IP Logged
Spider Bike

Reply #7 - 09/03/08 at 02:11:56

[quote author=ariseishirou link=1220060044/0#6 date=1220415986]Quote from Maverynthia on 09/01/08 at 23:34:45:
Quote from Alizarin on 08/29/08 at 21:43:29:

Not because it has to be as Japanese as possible, but because the voices are better, easier on the ears and IN-character for the person. (Though there is the side that I want to know what was ORIGINALLY said seeing as how game companies can't do a good job at a translation.)

Are you serious?

Welcome to Megaten fucking Haven. Japanese is like an audio holocaust. I understand that english may sometimes sound real crappy, but "it sounds better because I've no clue what the hell is being said." isn't really a proper excuse either. Dubbing as a whole is being done better anyway, except in instances where the translation left in japanese bits to please the wap fanbase, which results in the dialogue sounding like a bunch of weeaboos locked in a room.

View Profile   IP Logged
Skuggiköttur

Konungur af
Kötturheim

Reply #8 - 09/03/08 at 05:34:26

I agree with Maverynthia. If I had to choose, I would choose bad Japanese over bad English (because it's the original language).
I don't understand Japanese, so I don't know how bad it actually is. After all, I think it's a proper excuse. Take Castlevania:SOTN for example. I refuse to believe that the japanese voice acting is crappier than the english dub (because, that's impossible). Some people read throw up bags with more dedication. I lived in Germany for a long time, and they dub everything. After some time you get used to it and it sounds normal when you hear Chow Yun Fat saying: "Die erste Schandschnauze die in den Fahrstuhl geht, tritt in die Scheisse!". Upon arriving home again where all movies are in their original languages with subtitles I realized how bad dubbing is.

View Profile   IP Logged
RMarques

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #9 - 09/03/08 at 10:18:50

Sigh... This misuse of the word dubbing makes me sad.  cry

Quote:
Why? Because the chicks sound like screeching four-year-olds who could shatter glass when they get excited, and the guys aren't much better.

I find it quite telling about the way the Japanese do voice work when the only female that actually sounds somewhat normal is the one that pretends to be a boy. Naoto's voice reminds me of some male characters in other games/anime. Which makes sense, given that she's pretending to be a guy, but still.

« Last Edit: 09/03/08 at 13:20:56 by RMarques »  
ariseishirou
Less Newbies

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #10 - 09/05/08 at 00:15:08

Quote from RMarques on 09/03/08 at 10:18:50:

I find it quite telling about the way the Japanese do voice work when the only female that actually sounds somewhat normal is the one that pretends to be a boy.

Eh, most of that is cultural differences (many Japanese women really do raise the pitch of their voices when speaking beyond their normal range because their society considers it "cute" as opposed to "ex-fucking-tremely annoying", there's a gap between when Western women are expected to mature and when Japanese women are, moreover that maturity is considered unattractive whereas in the West the opposite is true), and there's not a damn thing anyone can do about that. It's those same differences that result in male protagonists in American games who look like they live at the gym, and male protagonists from Japanese games who look like they'll never be able to grow facial hair.

Still, not being raised in said culture I would rather hear the English voice actors. Though I must admit that the voice actors for the SMT:Nocturne Drama CD didn't fall into any of these tropes... Perhaps because neither Yuko nor Chiaki are supposed to be "cute".

View Profile   IP Logged
RMarques

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #11 - 09/05/08 at 06:59:47

Quote from ariseishirou on 09/05/08 at 00:15:08:
Eh, most of that is cultural differences (many Japanese women really do raise the pitch of their voices when speaking beyond their normal range because their society considers it "cute" as opposed to "ex-fucking-tremely annoying", there's a gap between when Western women are expected to mature and when Japanese women are, moreover that maturity is considered unattractive whereas in the West the opposite is true), and there's not a damn thing anyone can do about that. It's those same differences that result in male protagonists in American games who look like they live at the gym, and male protagonists from Japanese games who look like they'll never be able to grow facial hair.

Yeah, I figured as much. Funnily enough, Yukiko sounds rather normal in battle.

Quote from ariseishirou on 09/05/08 at 00:15:08:
Though I must admit that the voice actors for the SMT:Nocturne Drama CD didn't fall into any of these tropes... Perhaps because neither Yuko nor Chiaki are supposed to be "cute".

And it'd be really disturbing if they were.

MutheSquirrel

Hanged Man

Reply #12 - 09/05/08 at 08:48:54

Eh, the voice acting wasn't that bad when compared to say... Resident Evil. Or anything on the CD-I. Or the English singing for Rhapsody on the PS1. What was great about that is you could turn it back to Japanese and it would be subtitled.. in Japanese. =D

Oh! Anyone remember the voice acting for Battle Arena Toshinden 2? The girl with the whip had this horrid "oh ho ho ho!" laugh that was... was just great.

Oh, and Devil Summoner doesn't have any voice acting. I think SMTIII is far better without voice acting to be honest... it makes it feel a little more creepy for some reason.

I dream of the day Vegetable Lamb turns up in a Megaten game... ;-;
Email View Profile MutheSquirrel lordclaws   IP Logged
Emilio Morales

Lone Wolf

Reply #13 - 09/05/08 at 12:32:43

Quote from MutheSquirrel on 09/05/08 at 08:48:54:

Oh! Anyone remember the voice acting for Battle Arena Toshinden 2? The girl with the whip had this horrid "oh ho ho ho!" laugh that was... was just great.

Sophia Cheesy Yeah! Battle Arena Toshiden was my first Fighting game for the PSX. Cheesy

Email View Profile WWW Emilio Morales   IP Logged
granitor

Fuse Me With A Cute
Girl, Please.

Reply #14 - 09/29/08 at 04:18:36

...so, carrying this to the absurd,  

If I make a Persona fangame, I should get someone to say random Japanese things, like the Japanese ghost scene in Scary Movie 5 (or 4, I dunno), rather than have English voice acting, then.

Smiley

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print