Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Megaten Haven the SMT Bulletin Board
04/20/24 at 02:37:26
News:
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
voices... (Read 3376 times)
feighnt
Less Newbies

voices...
02/06/09 at 21:01:19

sorry if this has been asked before - and i also have a bad feeling i've asked this in the past somewhere else (or on the old version of this place) and just forgot, but anyway...

i've been wondering.  Cielo.  is he actually supposed to have a jamaican accent?  because i cant imagine what a jamaican accent might sound in japanese - frankly, i'd assume there'd be no such thing commonly known about amongst native japanese speakers, much like how your typical english speaker wouldnt be likely to know of differences between most east asian accents, whether we're talking about the differences between chinese and japanese accents, or different dialects within these countries.  

i looked around for youtube videos of the japanese version, i couldnt find much which had Cielo, but the bit i saw his accent didnt seem particularly unusual.  of course, i do recognize that he doesnt develop the accent until part way through the english DDS1, and i'm not certain which scenes i saw him talking were from.  

so, yeah, basically - does anyone know if he had some kind of accent, jamaican or otherwise, in the original, japanese version?  seems to me that the localizers just decided to put it in due to his hair.   Huh

Email View Profile   IP Logged
Fiend-Vaan
Less Newbies

Knight of the Mush

Re: voices...
Reply #1 - 02/13/09 at 14:09:33

I haven't seen the japanese version, but I'll guess that Cielo has the accent at least in the subs, -'ow bout a hand, brudda?- Besides, there is a cutscene in DDS2 where Cielo comments to Gale that he could show God some "Latin Rythm" hence, I don't think his pseudo-jamaican personality came from the US version

Rend, Slaughter, Devour your enemies; there is no other way to survive, you cannot escape your hunger... Warriors of Purgatory
Email View Profile Fiend-Vaan   IP Logged
feighnt
Less Newbies

Reply #2 - 02/14/09 at 08:43:11

Quote from Fiend-Vaan on 02/13/09 at 14:09:33:
Besides, there is a cutscene in DDS2 where Cielo comments to Gale that he could show God some "Latin Rythm" hence, I don't think his pseudo-jamaican personality came from the US version

hmm, yeah, but another concern i have is that they could've changed bits of dialogue to fit in with their decision to make him jamaican (if it was their decision).  

i *believe* i'd heard that they did this quite a lot with Chrono Cross, for instance - like the doctor they turned into a surfer, with surfer lingo and all.  or what Working Designs did with the psx version of Lunar, putting in Austin Powers jokes and making one character *repeatedly* fart during his cutscene.  Angry  when a company is localizing a game, they can take all sorts of liberties with the translation if they choose - not saying that atlus usa necessarily does (anymore - of course it did in the past), but it's always quite possible.  

Fiend-Vaan
Less Newbies

Knight of the Mush

Reply #3 - 02/16/09 at 15:06:20

That happens a lot with anime dubbers. Makes me wonder, could it be that some of the most loved characters of japanese origin are not who we thought?

It'd be a good idea to check a japanese script... where to get it tho?

Rend, Slaughter, Devour your enemies; there is no other way to survive, you cannot escape your hunger... Warriors of Purgatory
Spider Bike

Reply #4 - 02/18/09 at 00:25:27

Who cares how they localize the characters as long as it's entertaining.  

Working Designs was a good example of entertaining localization.

View Profile   IP Logged
feighnt
Less Newbies

Reply #5 - 02/19/09 at 06:06:58

Quote from Alizarin on 02/18/09 at 00:25:27:

eh...

i dont find farting to be entertaining.   Huh

Spider Bike

Reply #6 - 02/19/09 at 17:47:06

Quote from feighnt on 02/19/09 at 06:06:58:
Quote from Alizarin on 02/18/09 at 00:25:27:

eh...

i dont find farting to be entertaining.   Huh

Oh yeah, I forgot that the games were nothing but people farting over and over with a studio recorded laugh track.

View Profile   IP Logged
Fiend-Vaan
Less Newbies

Knight of the Mush

Reply #7 - 02/20/09 at 13:58:50

In any case, Atlus USA did a good job with Cielo, his voice acting is not exagerated, it's relatively enjoyable

Spider Bike

Reply #8 - 02/25/09 at 21:56:08

Quote from Fiend-Vaan on 02/20/09 at 13:58:50:
In any case, Atlus USA did a good job with Cielo, his voice acting is not exagerated, it's relatively enjoyable

They did a better job with Serph. Needs more like that.

View Profile   IP Logged
agent-fisher
Less Newbies

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #9 - 02/26/09 at 06:48:10

Quote from Alizarin on 02/25/09 at 21:56:08:

The best job they did was in Nocturne. That game has such an enjoyable voice acting cast.

Spider Bike

Reply #10 - 05/21/09 at 03:11:55

Quote from agent-fisher on 02/26/09 at 06:48:10:
Quote from Alizarin on 02/25/09 at 21:56:08:

The best job they did was in Nocturne. That game has such an enjoyable voice acting cast.

I think I like this person.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print