Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Megaten Haven the SMT Bulletin Board
05/02/24 at 14:36:58
News:
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
So when SMT 4 Comes Out (Read 17942 times)
neonecron

I Love Jack Frost!
Persona Text?

So when SMT 4 Comes Out
01/20/08 at 05:05:21

Which ending of SMT3 do you think will be treated as canon?
Or SMT2, if that is what it is following?

Here is a signature. I rushed this badly so don't kill yoke.
Email View Profile WWW neonecron   IP Logged
Louis Cypher

Re: So when SMT 4 Comes Out
Reply #1 - 01/20/08 at 06:07:41

Oh, you KNOW it's either Freedom or True Demon. I would guffaw if it's True Demon and suspect they'll never give Law it's own ending.

View Profile   IP Logged
Kitsune
Less Newbies

Occultist

Reply #2 - 01/20/08 at 07:20:08

I would say freedom, since true demon kinda removes this whole realm from play -_-

Email View Profile Kitsune   IP Logged
Louis Cypher

Reply #3 - 01/20/08 at 08:30:05

Huh? No... no reason it can't be an alternate world.

View Profile   IP Logged
Kitsune
Less Newbies

Occultist

Reply #4 - 01/20/08 at 11:19:56

but if they made it an alternate world they could go with any ending really.

Email View Profile Kitsune   IP Logged
EzraSolomon
Less Newbies

Mind Your True Bee

Reply #5 - 01/20/08 at 21:58:13

>> The text after credits for the Freedom ending did suggest a sequel, true adversary and all.

Though I think the True Demon ending would be awesomely dandy for an SMT Strategy game.

"Alert: Muspelheim is under attack!"

"Metatron summoned. Fire Of Sinai charging."

Email View Profile   IP Logged
Louis Cypher

Reply #6 - 01/20/08 at 22:40:19

it's basically the same sequel as True Demon. You fight YHVH. Only in True Demon, it's made more obvious.

I find it laughable that Lucifer claims to support you in Freedom. He only wants to piss off God.

View Profile   IP Logged
Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #7 - 01/22/08 at 03:42:12

Wasn't Nocturne kinda a deviation from the previous story of the first two titles?  I kind of wish its story would stand alone.  After all, the explanation for the universe as given by the mysterious woman in black could have been placed in the game to give future writers, etc, freedom in where they want to drive the series.  Obviously Hijiri acts as a thread to the previous games, but his transgression against god doesn't necessarily mean he is or isn't a character from the previous titles.  I'm sure there are many people who have pissed off God, and so perhaps Hijiri's fate, as an immortal observer of time, isn't unique. That said, and perhaps I've just become a bit too much of a Doctor Who fan, I think it would be interesting to play with the idea of a human who is forced to observe the rise and fall of different orders within Amala.  I don't know how demon collecting would play into it, but it would be a great thing to explore, since this idea of a cyclical multiverse has even allowed for players to find connections between as disparate titles as Persona and Digital Devil Saga.

View Profile ErringArgonaut   IP Logged
neonecron

I Love Jack Frost!
Persona Text?

Reply #8 - 01/22/08 at 06:46:18

Does Hijiri actually turn against God in Nocturne?

Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #9 - 01/22/08 at 16:09:46

No, it is implied that Hijiri in one of his past incarnations rebelled against the will of God, and as his punishment, his soul is more or less  immortal, forced to witness and record the history of the universe, blah blah blah.   So Hijiri in the incarnation you meet him has no idea about his former sins or his eternal punishment, and he ironically completes the task assigned to him by acting as a reporter--for the occult magazine and then after the conception by using the terminals to collect information about the Vortex World.

Once in the Vortex World, Hijiri more or less becomes a very elaborate Manikin.  Despite having a soul, he has the misfortune of being an immutable entity with mutable properties.  Death after all, is a privilege.

neonecron

I Love Jack Frost!
Persona Text?

Reply #10 - 01/25/08 at 06:02:49

I saw it as a very in your face reference to Aleph's fate from the SMT II Neutral ending.

Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #11 - 01/25/08 at 16:18:52

Yeah.  That's definitely for sure, but for players, such as myself, who have no direct experience with the preceding games, I think that there is the possibility that Hijiri could also be something else.  The connection to Aleph is kind of like an "Easter Egg," or a hair pin dropped by the game's writers as to not create a product that would not alienate its past consumer base.  It's not important that he is Aleph, so there's not enough information in SMT3 alone to fully support that Hijiri's true identity is Aleph.  Also, from what Ive read in previous discussions of this topic, I thought that the fate implied by Hijiri's existence is more or less only connected to Aleph if the player in the previous game chose a certain path?  It would certainly "canonize" the true SMT story if these things were set in stone, but I think that one of the points of providing an addendum to SMT3 with maniacs version is to open up the "universe of amala" and not constrict the series to a finite set of possibilities.  The very process through which the world dies and is rebirthed alludes to the possibility of anything and everything coexisting in a greater network of world's/God's lawful universe/etc.

Louis Cypher

Reply #12 - 03/27/08 at 23:22:22

Aleph is cursed regardless, even on the nonsensical Law path. (Seriously. Satan suddenly turning against YHVH? Such bull.)

View Profile   IP Logged
0kami7777

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #13 - 03/28/08 at 20:22:46

When IS SMT4 going to come out? Geeze, I expected them to catch up with next gen and start the game cycle pattern over again (an SMT, a new series entry, a Devil Summoner, a Persona) But I guess the Persona quoted will be fulfilled first, huh? With 4 and all...

View Profile   IP Logged
OneWingedSin
Less Newbies

I love Philemon!

Reply #14 - 03/29/08 at 17:44:18

Well, since SMT4 is going on the PS3, and Persona 4 is going on the PS2, and P4 is also 'reusing' a LOT of the P3 coding, I'm sure that it was a bit easier to develop Smiley

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print