Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Megaten Haven the SMT Bulletin Board
05/02/24 at 15:21:28
News:
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Nocturne and Reasons (Read 14219 times)
Skuggiköttur

Konungur af
Kötturheim

Re: Nocturne and Reasons
Reply #15 - 05/26/08 at 05:06:25

Quote from Tallgeese on 05/26/08 at 03:19:35:
Your post only illustrates a certain point that Atlus JP is twiisting Christianity negatively...

Consider that the best armor on the Law Side is the JESUS SET.

Call me crazy, but the Biblical Jesus would 'NEVER' side with what SMT portrays his religion as.

Of course he wouldn't. But like Shodan says, it's only a set of armor. After all, the Messians made that armor. None asked Jesus what he thinks about puting his name on that piece of equipment.  Smiley I think Jesus is much closer to ideal christianity than his father ever was. That's why ATLUS is not against christianity. They are only against the strict rules which the Old Testament represents. And the Old Testament is much closer to the Judeo religion. Japanese people have their sins, like my or your people too. But they never send missionaries to spread shintoism or zen buddhism by force. Their gouvernement is xenophobic, that's true. But not all Japanese dislike other nations. And I don't think that someone like Okada who has such deep knowledge and interests in other religions could be against this or that religion. He  has only a different point of view. After all, there are less than 1% christians in Japan. That's why the Japanese if interested in judeo-christianity can get a much more realistic picture about that religion. Because there's no propaganda. They don't even talk about christianity in public.

View Profile   IP Logged
0kami7777

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #16 - 05/26/08 at 12:09:19

Well, also factor in that for a very long period of time in Japan all Christians were put to death. Christianity would have been a more prevalent religion to this day if it wasn't for a few emperors spreading the idea that it's some crazy shadowy faith.

I think now though it's more just a flashy religion to them with some cool stories. Same reason you have Evangelion. It's just a motif of a mysterious religion and it makes people think.

View Profile   IP Logged
Louis Cypher

Reply #17 - 05/26/08 at 15:57:39

...Aleph, you DO realize that part of the method by which the Japanese became mobilized for the Second World War was a form of imposed statewide militant Shintoism, thereby eviscerating your religious point, right? Zen Buddhism also quite prominently supported the state military establishment of the time. You're making arbitrary and self-serving leaps of logic not based on much of anything, no offense. Apparently the book 'Zen at War' is quite enlightening on this subject.  

The people were apparently happy with it too, the only reason they abandoned this religion-backed militaristic stance is because they lost, plain and simple. Japan is just as capable of following archaic rules as everyone else, as much as Atlus JP would love for you to think otherwise from how they present Chaos.

It's not that they wouldn't spread their way of life to others, it's that they pretty much couldn't for a long time. Their nearest neighbor is China. The single reason they even managed to beat China best during the Sino-Japanese Wars was because Japan was basically modernized and well trained, while China... not so much.

Meanwhile, on the Jesus front, Law Hero in SMT1 is dressed like the Pope, the four archangels are described as based on Christian mythology in SMT3... et cetera. Considering the angels are supposedly based on the Christian mythology, where they are pretty much upstanding, if rigid, persons, and they are NEITHER of those things post-SMT1... yeah, I honestly don't think it was meant to just be a random namedrop. Of course, it is worth it to note that besides the armor, Jesus never showed up at all... except in P3.

Where: A) He sucked horribly as a Persona in practically every way, in the original game he was flat out terrible, in FES he was an obvious consolation prie if you didn't get Orpheus Telos, who is Messiah Plus Plus. B) His mythological description attempts to pass him off as a general messiah figure when he obviously is a Jesus reference (praying saints? Cross-pose when summoned? That Absorb Pierce joke?) C) He looks nothing like he is generally portrayed in a modern times. D) The guy who DOES look 'a LOT' like how Jesus in portrayed in modern times is actually one of the biggest bastards in the game!

View Profile   IP Logged
SHODAN

I Wub Nodens-Wodens

Reply #18 - 05/26/08 at 16:12:51

Okami: yeah you're about right, it's a flashy religion to them and it intrigues them, hence alot of stories (well, stories being part of games and all) having christianity in them

Tallgeese: Show me an american-made game that puts Shinto in a positive light (if you don't see what I'm getting at, I'm saying that you're being a hypocrite, especially with your xenophobic ass. YOU don't appreciate anything outside your borders, so why do the japanese have to cater to you with religion of all things? Ironically you act just like the japanese..but we knew that)

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Louis Cypher

Reply #19 - 05/26/08 at 16:22:13

I couldn't, because I can't even think of a game where Shinto is portrayed in a negative light either... meaning that I can't think of an American game that mentions it much at all.

That said, DnD seems to hold the Kara-Tur region (basically DnD Asia it looks) in decent regard, what with their superior weaponry... But I don't think Shinto is involved directly at all.

View Profile   IP Logged
Skuggiköttur

Konungur af
Kötturheim

Reply #20 - 05/27/08 at 02:37:26

Quote from 0kami7777 on 05/26/08 at 12:09:19:
Well, also factor in that for a very long period of time in Japan all Christians were put to death. Christianity would have been a more prevalent religion to this day if it wasn't for a few emperors spreading the idea that it's some crazy shadowy faith.

I think now though it's more just a flashy religion to them with some cool stories. Same reason you have Evangelion. It's just a motif of a mysterious religion and it makes people think.

Okami, that was about 400 years ago. There are no more Shoguns or Emperors with executive power. We could dig up many storys about the crusade wars or mad popes. It's in the past, you should leave it there.  

Tallgeese, I didn't want to bring this up but I'll tell you a very sad story (a true one). I live in a mid-european country with the 90% catholic majority. My parents are both christians (liberal people, not fanatics). I've never been baptized, they wanted me to decide that for myself. We had a war with our neighbour country in the 90's (they are orthodox christians). The curches on both sides didn't want peace. No, they only used hate speech against each others. They wanted us to lead war. There were war atrocities on both sides. My hometown was wiped off the map. I lived in foreign countries and in refugee camps. I literally moved from place to place over ten times. Then the war started in the third neighbour country. There were three sides fighting each other. My people, the orthodox christians and the muslims. At first they all fought against each other. A little bit later my people and the orthodox christians sided together to exterminate the muslims. Immagine this, all was forgotten because we had to kick Muslim asses, after all we are christians and they are infidels. The Muslims in that war were not saints, of course. But they never did such bad things like my people or the orthodox christians. What I wanted to say, in times of war the church always goes with the politics, that's why the shinto priests sided with the Japanese army in WW2.

Ah yes, the sad story. In one of the refugee camps in my country was this boy, a good friend of mine (we lost contact meanwhile). He had this little problem. His father was Muslim, but being born in my country, he dicided to stay with his wife and children. In such times, that was a curse. Even his name was a curse.Other people told me what happened when they arrived (at that time, I was still living in Germany, however he never said a word to me about that incident). People came up in front of the place where he lived. There was this catholic priest with them. They wanted to baptize him by force. They were literally draging him to the church. In the end, some people who still had some gray matter in their heads stopped the whole thing.

The point is, the christians are no saints. Even if ATLUS is against christianity (and I don't think they are, like I said, it's just a different point of view), I don't feel offended. The christian doctrine may be noble on the paper, but the reality is something completely different. You are from the U.S. You only had to deal with pedophilic priests and Saalem witchhunts. We however had to live with the church for 2000 years. Can you immagine what the church did to Europe in that time?

View Profile   IP Logged
Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #21 - 05/27/08 at 02:37:35

To Aleph: I wouldn't get ahead of yourself.  Christianity means nothing without the Old Testament, in my opinion.  Christ's death, in addition to allowing us salvation, opened the Judaic religion to the gentiles.  To cut down one is to cut down the whole.  Obviously its hard to reconcile God between the two testaments.  Obviously he seems to be a different entity entirely, but I wouldn't make the God of the old testament a truly one dimensional entity by saying he is bad, etc.  The angry God is the foundation for all Judeo-Christian belief, so you really can't cut him out of the picture ever.  My biggest problem with many of today's Christians is that they worship this good feeling entity, which is basically just an abbreviated idea of Christ, and don't really address any of the foundational stuff, which is where the religion's mythology gets interesting, and perhaps, a closer understanding of Western culture/morality can be examined.

Also, I don't really care what the Japanese view of Christianity is--it certainly isn't the most realistic one because they are taking it and interrupting it in a way that suggests A.) very little research, leading to convenient conclusions for a video game story and B.) YES, turning it into a propaganda of sorts, one that denounces a fairly large demographic of todays world as pig headed idiots.  NOW before you jump all down my back by saying most Christians are idiots, realize you are talking to a person who shredded his study Bible outside a Church screaming fuck God directly after Sunday school.  I've been there, done that, wear the tee-shirt.  It's pretty annoying to meet hardcore Christians, but have you ever tried to make a meaningful connection with a twit who thinks being an athiest is bad ass?  Maybe when you could die for it, but today I think it's a pretty indolent response to what life has to offer/its mysteries.

Also, back to the idea of the reasons, I think your idea that Musubi wouldn't hurt anyone is hilarious because it radically redefines what being human is.  It would lead to a world of isolated insane minds.  In my opinion, all of the reasons are bullshit, and the game is most fun when you take the cake and run with it and go fuck with the boss man.  That way you get the most out of the game play and you get to kill all those dumb asses that thought they had good ideas for a new world.

To Shodan:  Everyone is a hypocrite.  Get over it.  I'll give you that it's amusing that there's this big of a dispute over /game content/, but I find it really hilarious that for someone who is criticizing another on cultural sensitivity, you are describing the Japanese on a singularly one-dimensional level.  I think everyone here could benefit from ceasing to conflate Japanese and Atlus as one entity.  For god sake, it's absolutely retarded to compare disatisfaction with a game to WWII tactics and mentalities, which even then is completely stupid and offensive to think that that's synonymous with all Japanese culture and mindsets.  That's like saying Germany is just a bunch of Nazis, instead of pointing out that the third Reich was basically just a bubbling over of a collective mental illness that had been cultured in Germany since its genesis.  Why the hell do people in our generation still try to cling to the societal sicknesses of the 20th century?  I am so thrilled to see that we can regurgitate the cut and paste bullshit from our american history text books, because clearly our knowledge of foreign cultures is coming from wartime history, not much else.  (Maybe isolated facts from wikipedia?)  

That being said, Tallgeese isn't being xenophobic, he's being critical.  

There are like zero American games that I can think of that would even bother to include Shintoism.  Wait, there are like zero American games that are playable rpgs in my opinion, so nevermind.  Apples to oranges, my dear.

In my opinion, say what you want, but it's so easy to place blame on insensitive Americans. All I'm asking is that maybe these assholes read some Campbell, some Yeats, get it in their heads they are not just making games for a Japanese audience since obviously these things are now hitting everywhere that plays games.  You shouldn't make a game that claims to "draw from every world religion" when it simply processes every single one through an obvious filter.  If they want to use the excuse that it is gnostic, then all these different elements being introduced should be designed free of inherent bias.  Most world religions have huge overarching connections, yet I am continually disappointed when I encounter huge disconnects between these when the pieces are just waiting to be connected.  

View Profile ErringArgonaut   IP Logged
Skuggiköttur

Konungur af
Kötturheim

Reply #22 - 05/27/08 at 03:09:44

Asura, I'm just telling that the New Testament is completely different from the Old one. It's much closer to the way people live in civilized countries. In the New Testament the superstar is Jesus, not Yhwh. Jesus is kind and full of love. Yhwh is cruel and vengeful, a tyrant. It's like the apostles wanted to make the Judeo religion much nicer than it was in the first place. Maybe they did it because they couldn't do anything else. They were persecuted and killed by the Romans back then. It's almost like they wanted to say: "Why are you killing us? We've done nothing wrong! We are peaceful!" Martyrdom is a very powerful weapon.

About Musubi: I don't think it's ideal, but if I had to choose between those three reasons, I'd choose Musubi. It leaves you enough space to create you own utopia without harming others. It depends on the creator how it turns out. I'd probably blow it, but it's the best thing you can choose from those three. There's really no harm for the others, just for yourself.
It redefines the human nature completely, that's true. But the world after the Conception is no longer a human world. You are not creating a world for humans, because humans can't survive in that world.

View Profile   IP Logged
Louis Cypher

Reply #23 - 05/27/08 at 03:14:55

Hey! Lay off of SHODAN. She knows me far better than anyone else here, half a decade in fact. She has no reason not to call me a hypocrite if she sees me as one, it's not like it's an undetestable trait that I specifically strive not to embody. She has no damn reason to want to have that.

SHODAN also knows that what I say about Atlus Japan I would almost certainly say about Japan in general, with unstated exceptions if I could ever find them of course. Popular Japanese culture is RIFE with bastardizations of Judeo-Christianity. The reason I harp on Atlus Japan so much though, is two-fold, which I think is what makes the difference:

1) I am irritated not only in that they do it, but in that Kaneko has said himself that the games emphasize free choice between the sides. I just don't think it's free choice when some of the choices are deliberately loaded by the developers to appear bad. It's like indoctrination, is it really free choice to do something if you're indoctrinated into it?

2) Somebody in Atlus Japan was asked if YHVH in SMT was the Judeo-Christian God. I believe it was Okada. He LIED when he said that YHVH in SMT was an amalgamation of the father gods of various religions. That honestly just reeks of a lie, because, for example, various other father gods, most notably Odin, appear in SMT and they act NOTHING like what YHVH is portrayed as. It just seems like a retarded dodge/lie to make...

Basically, I'm pissed that Atlus is pretentious. I might be a tad less pissed if they weren't.

But leave SHODAN alone Asura. I'm hoping that if she reads this she'll understand why I respond in this way, but if not, oh well. I just hate dishonesty and unfairness. She didn't say anything wrong considering how I act.

Anyhow, I will gracefully step out. I promised SHODAN I will no longer continue this arguing, and I intend to keep that word. The above is just an explanation as to why I'm so annoyed, and to say to leave SHODAN alone or you deal with me.

View Profile   IP Logged
ariseishirou
Less Newbies

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #24 - 05/27/08 at 03:50:28

Hrm. Points taken on Christianity/YHVH, but...

Shijima most closely reflected Buddhism, and it (as well as Hikawa) were portrayed in a pretty negative light. And in many of their games, and the OAV, they are outspokenly critical of Izanagi's actions, the patron diety of Shinto (i.e., that abadoning Izanami for being "tainted" was an act of cowardice.)

I wonder if Atlus isn't anti-religion in general.

View Profile   IP Logged
Skuggiköttur

Konungur af
Kötturheim

Reply #25 - 05/27/08 at 05:42:25

I agree with you Tallgeese, we should drop this topic. After all, this forum is about videogames, not politics or religion. I might be a little bit christophobic from some people's sight of view, however I feel no guilt about it. I got absolutely nothing against you or anybody else, as long as I'm not harmed. I'm against those radical clerics and belivers who sip poison in peoples hearts. We could discuss about ATLUS being christophobic or not for days (maybe that's precisely what they want us to do).  
But Tallgeese, you can't call somebody a liar, just because you think he's a one (even if I have to admit that you might be right about this one).  
However, I think he gave that interview right after releasing SMT2 in Japan, long before releasing SMT3 worldwide. There was no need for sucking up to the non-japanese audience. They released SMT3 10 years after.

View Profile   IP Logged
SHODAN

I Wub Nodens-Wodens

Reply #26 - 05/27/08 at 06:15:36

Yeah Asura, it's no offense to you and I didn't take offense to what you said, but Tallgeese is my boy (daaawg) and I KNOW he's xenophobic (hell if you read the topics he posts on his board, you'd know that too) and single minded with some things. Atlus JP and Japan itself is one of them. And sometimes, when I get the opportunity to, I voice my distaste for his opinion about it. Loudly.

Mainly I just don't understand how someone could like a game series so much, made by people you dislike so much. *shrug*

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #27 - 05/27/08 at 14:48:24

Wow, that's too adorable.  Can we now vote for cutest couple on megaten!  Haha.

View Profile ErringArgonaut   IP Logged
0kami7777

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #28 - 05/27/08 at 17:27:14

Yeah, come to think of it, the actions of the "villains" in SMT3 were sort of influenced by Buddhism, which is a pretty pacifistic religion in theory and mostly in practice. And yet Buddhist ideals are what destroy the world and enslave demons and souls in SMT3...

Weird. So now Buddhism, more or less a main faith of Japan, gets dissed too?

Maybe the creators are just ra ra Shinto...seems that way.

View Profile   IP Logged
Louis Cypher

Reply #29 - 05/27/08 at 18:43:28

Quote from SHODAN on 05/27/08 at 06:15:36:
Mainly I just don't understand how someone could like a game series so much, made by people you dislike so much. *shrug*

I like the gameplay! Pretty much it yeah.

Okami: By 'influenced by Buddhism' you mean the whole cyclical nature of the world, right? Or...?

What you suggest is possible, as Buddhism, unlike Shinto, was not homegrown in Japan, it was imported from China. This does not explain their love affair with Hinduism that has only been rising though.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print