Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Megaten Haven the SMT Bulletin Board
05/03/24 at 10:16:17
News:
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
E3 anybody? (Read 2562 times)
Eikichi Girl

I Love Jack Frost!

E3 anybody?
07/26/08 at 16:29:54

I recently crawled from under my rock to check out games that were being featured at this year's E3 convention. I was just curious if anybody saw a game that they really liked? Resident Evil 5 seems to be shaping up pretty well. I am worried about the whole you vs. 80 enemies at once thing, but I do like the idea of co-op. Fallout 3 was Amazing with a capital A.

Email View Profile   IP Logged
RMarques

I Love Jack Frost!

Re: E3 anybody?
Reply #1 - 07/26/08 at 17:24:40

I'm just lolling at the drama among the fanboys Square Enix caused with the Final Fantasy XIII announcement... And drooling over Tales of Vesperia. I swear, that game alone could have made me want 360 if I didn't want one already. >_>

Eikichi Girl

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #2 - 07/26/08 at 20:43:07

I really didn't get all the fuss over FFXIII. Either way, gamers will be able to play it, right? I couldn't care less about all the fanboy arguing.

aerozero
Less Newbies

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #3 - 07/27/08 at 00:27:15

Resident Evil 5 looks amazing, I can't wait until it's released.  

E3 is getting lame though, I was very disappointed that there was no new info on the Team Ico game.

View Profile   IP Logged
citizen zero
Less Newbies

I love blastbeat!!!

Reply #4 - 07/27/08 at 02:33:25

speaking of RE 5, i think it will become a favorite game for many many racists. "lone white man exterminating hordes of black zombies" Cheesy

View Profile   IP Logged
Eikichi Girl

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #5 - 07/28/08 at 19:41:47

Meh, I'm sorta annoyed by the whole "racism" angle. Seriously, where were the racist complaints when when RE4 was set in a poor spanish village? Anyways, I really surprised by how far along RE5 is already. I hope there are more weapons than in the last game.

Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #6 - 07/29/08 at 02:42:58

Although I'm not at all familiar with the series, there is something to be said about having a developing team of probably all Japanese game designers interpret an African culture, or perhaps not even culture, but for lack of a better phrase... how about humanitarian crisis?  These aren't exactly people with degrees in anthropology.  These are people who stem from a culture that is about as removed from the situations they were asked to research as it gets.  How is it appropriate to make light (even if the game is violent and dark, it's a game) of these kinds of situations?  I don't really think the setting of a poor Spanish village is quite as inflammatory as an impoverished/war torn African village.  Especially if you mean Spanish, as in Spain.  Otherwise, you need to get your terminology right.

I don't think it's necessarily a racist game, at least in intent, but I think it's kind of tasteless.  I would say the same about anything of the same nature coming out of Hollywood, etc.  Sure, the imagination can roam, but it's just kind of flat-out ignorant to think anything worthwhile is being said by giving the good looking white man with big guns free range over hordes of helpless black "monsters."  I think sometimes there are things that should be left untouched.  The developers of Resident Evil should have had the foresight to recognize the potential animosity any kind of "black and white" story would generate.  Really, it doesn't matter if the tone of the game isn't promoting racism--the kind of imagery being employed is just plain out stupid.  It's one thing to have violence against unrecognizable mutants of no particular race.  To have obviously Black zombies as the main shooting fodder in this game... c'mon.... of course a lot of people have the right to take offense.

View Profile ErringArgonaut   IP Logged
Skuggiköttur

Konungur af
Kötturheim

Reply #7 - 07/29/08 at 05:02:47

The game is set on the African continent... should the enemies be Eskimos?

View Profile   IP Logged
aerozero
Less Newbies

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #8 - 07/29/08 at 05:08:08

Quote from Eikichi Girl on 07/28/08 at 19:41:47:
Meh, I'm sorta annoyed by the whole "racism" angle. Seriously, where were the racist complaints when when RE4 was set in a poor spanish village? Anyways, I really surprised by how far along RE5 is already. I hope there are more weapons than in the last game.

People like that are idiots, they'll use anything they can to push their agendas forward.

View Profile   IP Logged
Spider Bike

Reply #9 - 07/29/08 at 06:45:12

Quote from Eikichi Girl on 07/28/08 at 19:41:47:

Because is was in spainland and not mexiland. Therefore, it was just a white guy killing white guys.

EDIT: Also, E3 always sucked.

View Profile   IP Logged
Ikkaris
Less Newbies

The Amazing
Sword-swallowing Man

Reply #10 - 07/29/08 at 12:52:32

I liked the graphics on Valkyria Chronicles and the new Prince of Persia
Killzone 2 looks solid and Resistance 2 also looks promising.
But yeah, E3 has become week over the years.

View Profile   IP Logged
Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #11 - 07/29/08 at 19:46:49

Quote:
The game is set on the African continent... should the enemies be Eskimos?

I just don't think that the setting is exactly appropriate to begin with.  It's being provocative for no real reason.  Ooo, lets go investigate the birthplace of the virus, blah blah blah.  The imagery could've been less "black and white."  The infected could easily have been turned inside out, etc.  Other than that, I still just don't think it's cool to take a place that's suffering already and be like, wow, this looks like a great setting for a mindless slaughter-fest.  

Quote:
People like that are idiots, they'll use anything they can to push their agendas forward.

I'm willing to bet that you're just another typical politically apathetic waste of American citizenship. I mean, what is your agenda?  To sit and play games and eat breakfast bars and pick at your zits?   I think it's absolutely imperative in today's world that artists and designers be careful about what their imagery says, whether the message is intentional or not.  It's way too easy to create or reinforce ideas that promote racism and bigotry.  It's one thing to promote freedom of speech etc, and another to exacerbate an already sore spot, like racial tensions.  

I mean, whatever.  Like I said earlier, I don't think RE5 is exactly being intentionally racist.  I think it's stupid and should've been more careful, setting or not, in how it chose to represent the subject.  A virus usually kills people no matter what their race is, so why not push that to a visual level and make the infected racially ambiguous?  It doesn't hurt to be just a little politically careful, especially in the entertainment business.

Spider Bike

Reply #12 - 07/29/08 at 19:55:59

I like Sir Asura because I can count on him to post a wall of shit every time he posts.

View Profile   IP Logged
Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #13 - 07/29/08 at 22:22:28

Happy to be of service.

Eikichi Girl

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #14 - 07/30/08 at 19:03:59

Quote from Alizarin on 07/29/08 at 19:55:59:
I like Sir Asura because I can count on him to post a wall of shit every time he posts.

Indeed, it beats "U R Lame, lolz."

0kami7777

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #15 - 07/31/08 at 00:22:05

Ah. Welcome to Megaten Haven.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print