Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Megaten Haven the SMT Bulletin Board
05/19/24 at 09:03:34
News:
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A question about Trinity Soul (Read 2790 times)
worldwalkerpure
Newbies

I Love Jack Frost!

A question about Trinity Soul
09/10/08 at 18:36:09

The other day I was thinking about Trinity Soul, and I realized something: It's a perfectly good anime which I think has some very clever writing, but I don't really consider it part of...mmm, let's say Persona 'canon', I suppose.

I'd like to know what everyone else on this board thinks about the series.  Feel free to respond.

View Profile   IP Logged
ariseishirou
Less Newbies

I Love Jack Frost!

Re: A question about Trinity Soul
Reply #1 - 09/10/08 at 18:54:12

It was alright. I enjoyed it. But for something so heavily influenced by Persona 3, it abandoned virtually all of the major themes of that game, and that was kind of a let down.

Also, introducing one of the most popular characters from P3 to do absolutely nothing with him at the end of the show was irritating.

View Profile   IP Logged
Emilio Morales

Lone Wolf

Reply #2 - 09/10/08 at 20:02:35

I haven't finished watching it, but for me its just fine, since I'm a big fan of Megaten, it's difficult to me to say "it's bad" or "I don't like it" about something related to Megaten. But one thing I must say, is that the anime is pure story, anyone that hopes to see action, battle after battle will be disappointed.  

BTW, the anime is just 26 episodes long, right?

Email View Profile WWW Emilio Morales   IP Logged
worldwalkerpure
Newbies

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #3 - 09/11/08 at 20:06:35

Well, see, the reason I don't consider it part of Persona canon is one particular scene.

The main character has come home (I can't remember his name).  The door's unlocked.  He goes inside, and there's a strange man with silver hair.

It's Akihiko.  And he's cooking dinner.  I loved that part, that Aki has grown up into this guy that will break into your house, fix you dinner, and lecture you on the quality of your bottled water.

And then he says the line that forever caused me to consider Trinity Soul an alternate universe: Adults can't use Persona.

Adults can't use Persona.

Eternal Punishment?  All those characters were in their mid to late twenties.  Adults.  If I have to choose between an anime and Eternal Punishment being canon, I am choosing EP.

Anyway, that's why I don't consider Trinity Soul canon.  Put into a seperate post because it's so long.

View Profile   IP Logged
RMarques

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #4 - 09/11/08 at 22:58:32

Quote from worldwalkerpure on 09/11/08 at 20:06:35:

And then he says the line that forever caused me to consider Trinity Soul an alternate universe: Adults can't use Persona.

Wait, what? But right at the first episode of the show, we see two adults using Persona!

Email View Profile   IP Logged
ariseishirou
Less Newbies

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #5 - 09/12/08 at 01:36:44

Quote from RMarques on 09/11/08 at 22:58:32:
Wait, what? But right at the first episode of the show, we see two adults using Persona!

One them was a teenager, and the other was taking special drugs to prolong the time he could use Persona.

View Profile   IP Logged
RMarques

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #6 - 09/12/08 at 08:19:44

Ah. Still, doesn't really make sense when confronted with the earlier Persona canon.

Choooo

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #7 - 09/12/08 at 18:02:40

Well, neither does pretty much everything in Persona 3's storyline.

View Profile   IP Logged
ariseishirou
Less Newbies

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #8 - 09/12/08 at 18:10:19

Quote from Choooo on 09/12/08 at 18:02:40:

I was always under the impression that P3 takes place in an alternate world, sort of like how SMTIII doesn't take place in the same world as I/II/If..., or Devil Summoner: Raidou in the same world as the first game or Soul Hackers.

Also that P3 is less 'there are people who can use Persona' and more 'some people can use Persona because of this one very specific event, never before and decreasingly after'. In Trinity Soul they mention that the number of Persona users is decreasing after 'the incident' ten years ago. They mean something else, but we know that coincides with the date of Nyx's arrival on earth.

View Profile   IP Logged
RMarques

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #9 - 09/12/08 at 20:10:23

Really? Well that's disappointing. I mean, I know the way they get their Persona is different, and the way they summon them is too, but if there's more stuff that contradict earlier canon then that sucks.

Choooo

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #10 - 09/12/08 at 20:26:15

Quote from ariseishirou on 09/12/08 at 18:10:19:

I was always under the impression that P3 takes place in an alternate world, sort of like how SMTIII doesn't take place in the same world as I/II/If..., or Devil Summoner: Raidou in the same world as the first game or Soul Hackers.

Also that P3 is less 'there are people who can use Persona' and more 'some people can use Persona because of this one very specific event, never before and decreasingly after'. In Trinity Soul they mention that the number of Persona users is decreasing after 'the incident' ten years ago. They mean something else, but we know that coincides with the date of Nyx's arrival on earth.

Raidou takes place in the same world as DS and SH.

View Profile   IP Logged
ariseishirou
Less Newbies

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #11 - 09/13/08 at 05:07:14

Quote from Choooo on 09/12/08 at 20:26:15:
Raidou takes place in the same world as DS and SH.

I had originally thought so too, but according to the official DS:RK fanbook, it doesn't. Which makes sense when you think about it because DS/SH definitely didn't take place in the same world as SMTI/II/If..., which is sort of the whole point of the end of DS:RK. (Now it looks kinda like Raidou's world becomes Nocturne's.)

View Profile   IP Logged
Radish
Less Newbies

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #12 - 09/27/08 at 10:20:59

Quote from worldwalkerpure on 09/11/08 at 20:06:35:
Well, see, the reason I don't consider it part of Persona canon is one particular scene.

The main character has come home (I can't remember his name).  The door's unlocked.  He goes inside, and there's a strange man with silver hair.

It's Akihiko.  And he's cooking dinner.  I loved that part, that Aki has grown up into this guy that will break into your house, fix you dinner, and lecture you on the quality of your bottled water.

Eternal Punishment?  All those characters were in their mid to late twenties.  Adults.  If I have to choose between an anime and Eternal Punishment being canon, I am choosing EP.

Anyway, that's why I don't consider Trinity Soul canon.  Put into a seperate post because it's so long.

Yeah that's about what did it for me too.  Saying you outgrow Persona goes against every game before 3 and most of the cooler characters were the adults.  Also it got kind of boring since there was way too much putzing around and not enough actual plot advancement so I never ended up finishing it.

I'm torn on if Persona 3's world is the same as the previous games since the Trish's highlights on the TV talk about how the characters from Persona 1 and 2 would be if they were older.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print