Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Megaten Haven the SMT Bulletin Board
05/07/24 at 06:03:27
News:
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Why does Persona 3 suck? (Read 22128 times)
RMarqeus
Less Newbies

Banned

Why does Persona 3 suck?
06/10/08 at 14:48:59

I finally finished P3:FES a few days ago and I must say that I hated it.I spent the first hour watching poorly animated cut scenes and then, when the game finally gives you control you spend hours upon hours in the Sim portion of the game.All of the NPCs are cliched stereotypes of characters in every animu series ever.The game (and the dating sim in general) pretends to be non-linear by giving you a lot choices, but most of them lead to a "But Thou Must" moment.Most of the time you can max out the s.links by blindly choosing any option.The dating sim is tedious, shallow and contrived.

Persona 3 also dumbed the battles down even further.Giving full turns for hitting an opponent's weakness means almost every regular random encounter can be won before the enemy attacks.It doesn't help that it's extremely easy to surprise attack the enemies.The majority of the bosses can be defeated easily, since most of them aren't immune to status ailments.Heck, I went through the entire game by myself, except when the game forces you to use your retarded party members.This is definitely the easiest Persona game ever.

The easiest of battles makes climbing up the Copypasta dungeon even more of a chore.Tartar sauce is the most bland and boring randomly-generated dungeon I've ever played through.You climb fifteen, twenty, thirty stories of the same floors and the same enemies to finally reach a boss and a transition to the semi-harder enemies beyond, thinking you'll be able to press your skills and see how far you can go...and then you'll run into a wall. Literally.To prevent you from continuing on in the dungeon, the developers decided to place barriers and only open those barriers after you advance the story.

The melodramatic story has a super slow pacing due to plot events happening every full moon.The translation uses honorifics with English sentences and words, it's too funny. Atlus is basically appealing to idiot Wapanese kids.The music is a melange of the most atrocious J-Pop garbage that my ears have ever been assaulted with and a grab bag of terrible and decent voice over work.To summon their Personas these kids commit pseudo-suicide using toy guns.It's like Deathnote's "what do you mean its not symbolic?!" moments.

This game is thrash and I am glad that was able to sell it to friend for most of the cost.

View Profile   IP Logged
Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Re: Why does Persona 3 suck?
Reply #1 - 06/10/08 at 15:53:31

Good job.  Every one of your sentiments has been expressed ad nauseam throughout this forum.  Unfortunately for you, the majority of gamers disagree, whether or not the original Persona fan base likes or dislikes P3.

Obviously, from what I've posted here, I mostly agree with you.  There is a huge list of things that I think are fairly ridiculous about this game, but Atlus has pushed this franchise onto a larger audience and has gotten excellent results.  You can expect for the series to develop off of P3 from here on out, so look on the bright side--you either can keep those 50 bucks you would've spent on P4 and buy something useful, or you can suck it up and realize that honestly, you've probably played a lot of worse games and enjoyed them.

View Profile ErringArgonaut   IP Logged
Louis Cypher

Reply #2 - 06/10/08 at 15:58:06

There's actually a great topic on Gamefaqs about how hard it is to get people to hate you.

View Profile   IP Logged
Choooo

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #3 - 06/10/08 at 16:51:12

Weeaboos. Weeaboos are why P3 is popular. That is the only explanation I can find.

View Profile   IP Logged
Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #4 - 06/10/08 at 16:53:25

Quote:
There's actually a great topic on Gamefaqs about how hard it is to get people to hate you.

That is one of the funnier aspects of the game.  Of course, an unexpected hug can upset just about anyone it seems.

RMarques

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #5 - 06/10/08 at 19:34:46

Yes, we get it, Persona 3 is bad and Atlus should feel bad, and the people that like it are all drooling idiotic weaboos. Now, can we please have a discussion about the Persona series that does NOT include how bad Persona 3 is at some point? Please? As someone that enjoyed the past Megaten games AND Persona 3, this is really getting tiring.

Email View Profile   IP Logged
Apollo62
Less Newbies

DELETE!!

Reply #6 - 06/10/08 at 23:58:39

Quote from RMarques on 06/10/08 at 19:34:46:
Yes, we get it, Persona 3 is bad and Atlus should feel bad, and the people that like it are all drooling idiotic weaboos. Now, can we please have a discussion about the Persona series that does NOT include how bad Persona 3 is at some point? Please? As someone that enjoyed the past Megaten games AND Persona 3, this is really getting tiring.

Agreed. I agree with just about everything everyone said, but I still think it was a good game and in the end I guess I would take any Persona over no Persona. Should it have been dark and serious like the originals? Yes. Did Tartarus and the S-links get boring and redundant? Absolutely. Yet, like I said, I think I would take anything over nothing(and I'm sure I'm probably alone in that sentiment). Hopefully they'll improve all those aspects, and I'm sure they will. But let me tell you I'm gonna buy the next one no matter what. Just like I buy all SMT games, 'cause they're the best damn games around. Sometimes there's Hits and Sometimes there's misses, just because this might have been a SMT miss doesn't mean it's the worst thing ever.

Choooo

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #7 - 06/11/08 at 00:13:36

Quote from RMarques on 06/10/08 at 19:34:46:

It isn't because Persona 3 isn't a good Persona game (which it isn't), it's that Persona 3 isn't a very good game at all.

e: For real though, would you have actually played the game if it were set in America and did not have anime artwork? What if the terrible rap music had been terrible US rap instead of terrible Japanland rap?

View Profile   IP Logged
biggsyke

Kaneko Fan

Reply #8 - 06/11/08 at 01:11:24

I definitely prefer the story and gameplay of P2 over P3.  
Fusion spells > Mix Raids.  
Tartarus was boring, and the city map was repetitive. There were just so many more things to do in P2.  
I liked the contact system and Nyar is just more awesome than Nyx. When I was playing P3 and found out Nyx was the boss and some ultimate baddie that couldn't be defeated, I was like "really...huh?" She was pretty high ranking in the SMT games, but boss worthy? I guess it made sense plotwise.  
I do really like P3's characters, but Tatsuya and Maya were better MCs. And Guido...come on...Guido the Japanese Italian Persona wielding zombie.

Now, does anyone have any idea what Nameless is talking about in these pictures? +bonus pics!

View Profile   IP Logged
Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #9 - 06/11/08 at 01:27:35

It's not that Nyx was the final boss....  It was "Nyx Avatar."  In other words, Death took on the "persona" of Nyx, or something like that.  It simply assumed an identity in order to manifest in the world, blah, blah, blah.  In the "Answer" death takes on the form of Erebus--same entity as Nyx really, just a new avatar.  At least that's how I read into it.

Louis Cypher

Reply #10 - 06/11/08 at 01:39:59

THANK YOU.

Screw this Nyx bullshit.

All everyone needs is more Nyarlathotep.

They managed to sneak him into the role of P1 villain without naming him explicitly, I have no idea why they couldn't do it again.

View Profile   IP Logged
Choooo

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #11 - 06/11/08 at 01:43:59

Um why would you want an actual character as a villain when you can have a mindless incarnation of death? That's much better, and far more compelling.

View Profile   IP Logged
Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #12 - 06/11/08 at 01:49:18

I'm surprised nobody has bitched about the absence of Philemon yet... or did we all just read into those stupid butterflies as his "presence?"

Louis Cypher

Reply #13 - 06/11/08 at 02:41:06

Quote from Choooo on 06/11/08 at 01:43:59:
Um why would you want an actual character as a villain when you can have a mindless incarnation of death? That's much better, and far more compelling.

...I realy hope you're kidding.

View Profile   IP Logged
Apollo62
Less Newbies

DELETE!!

Reply #14 - 06/11/08 at 02:41:40

Quote from Sir_Asura on 06/11/08 at 01:49:18:
I'm surprised nobody has bitched about the absence of Philemon yet... or did we all just read into those stupid butterflies as his "presence?"  

I know I did, but that was obviously wishful thinking. I've read that after the ultimate battle in P2 they left this world or decided to take a step back, but I don't know where anybody got that idea!? I mean, where the hell were they? Really, how do you make a Persona game without at least Philemon?

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print