Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Megaten Haven the SMT Bulletin Board
05/02/24 at 11:51:40
News:
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
So when SMT 4 Comes Out (Read 17939 times)
neonecron

I Love Jack Frost!
Persona Text?

So when SMT 4 Comes Out
01/20/08 at 05:05:21

Which ending of SMT3 do you think will be treated as canon?
Or SMT2, if that is what it is following?

Here is a signature. I rushed this badly so don't kill yoke.
Email View Profile WWW neonecron   IP Logged
Louis Cypher

Re: So when SMT 4 Comes Out
Reply #1 - 01/20/08 at 06:07:41

Oh, you KNOW it's either Freedom or True Demon. I would guffaw if it's True Demon and suspect they'll never give Law it's own ending.

View Profile   IP Logged
Kitsune
Less Newbies

Occultist

Reply #2 - 01/20/08 at 07:20:08

I would say freedom, since true demon kinda removes this whole realm from play -_-

Email View Profile Kitsune   IP Logged
Louis Cypher

Reply #3 - 01/20/08 at 08:30:05

Huh? No... no reason it can't be an alternate world.

View Profile   IP Logged
Kitsune
Less Newbies

Occultist

Reply #4 - 01/20/08 at 11:19:56

but if they made it an alternate world they could go with any ending really.

Email View Profile Kitsune   IP Logged
EzraSolomon
Less Newbies

Mind Your True Bee

Reply #5 - 01/20/08 at 21:58:13

>> The text after credits for the Freedom ending did suggest a sequel, true adversary and all.

Though I think the True Demon ending would be awesomely dandy for an SMT Strategy game.

"Alert: Muspelheim is under attack!"

"Metatron summoned. Fire Of Sinai charging."

Email View Profile   IP Logged
Louis Cypher

Reply #6 - 01/20/08 at 22:40:19

it's basically the same sequel as True Demon. You fight YHVH. Only in True Demon, it's made more obvious.

I find it laughable that Lucifer claims to support you in Freedom. He only wants to piss off God.

View Profile   IP Logged
Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #7 - 01/22/08 at 03:42:12

Wasn't Nocturne kinda a deviation from the previous story of the first two titles?  I kind of wish its story would stand alone.  After all, the explanation for the universe as given by the mysterious woman in black could have been placed in the game to give future writers, etc, freedom in where they want to drive the series.  Obviously Hijiri acts as a thread to the previous games, but his transgression against god doesn't necessarily mean he is or isn't a character from the previous titles.  I'm sure there are many people who have pissed off God, and so perhaps Hijiri's fate, as an immortal observer of time, isn't unique. That said, and perhaps I've just become a bit too much of a Doctor Who fan, I think it would be interesting to play with the idea of a human who is forced to observe the rise and fall of different orders within Amala.  I don't know how demon collecting would play into it, but it would be a great thing to explore, since this idea of a cyclical multiverse has even allowed for players to find connections between as disparate titles as Persona and Digital Devil Saga.

View Profile ErringArgonaut   IP Logged
neonecron

I Love Jack Frost!
Persona Text?

Reply #8 - 01/22/08 at 06:46:18

Does Hijiri actually turn against God in Nocturne?

Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #9 - 01/22/08 at 16:09:46

No, it is implied that Hijiri in one of his past incarnations rebelled against the will of God, and as his punishment, his soul is more or less  immortal, forced to witness and record the history of the universe, blah blah blah.   So Hijiri in the incarnation you meet him has no idea about his former sins or his eternal punishment, and he ironically completes the task assigned to him by acting as a reporter--for the occult magazine and then after the conception by using the terminals to collect information about the Vortex World.

Once in the Vortex World, Hijiri more or less becomes a very elaborate Manikin.  Despite having a soul, he has the misfortune of being an immutable entity with mutable properties.  Death after all, is a privilege.

neonecron

I Love Jack Frost!
Persona Text?

Reply #10 - 01/25/08 at 06:02:49

I saw it as a very in your face reference to Aleph's fate from the SMT II Neutral ending.

Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #11 - 01/25/08 at 16:18:52

Yeah.  That's definitely for sure, but for players, such as myself, who have no direct experience with the preceding games, I think that there is the possibility that Hijiri could also be something else.  The connection to Aleph is kind of like an "Easter Egg," or a hair pin dropped by the game's writers as to not create a product that would not alienate its past consumer base.  It's not important that he is Aleph, so there's not enough information in SMT3 alone to fully support that Hijiri's true identity is Aleph.  Also, from what Ive read in previous discussions of this topic, I thought that the fate implied by Hijiri's existence is more or less only connected to Aleph if the player in the previous game chose a certain path?  It would certainly "canonize" the true SMT story if these things were set in stone, but I think that one of the points of providing an addendum to SMT3 with maniacs version is to open up the "universe of amala" and not constrict the series to a finite set of possibilities.  The very process through which the world dies and is rebirthed alludes to the possibility of anything and everything coexisting in a greater network of world's/God's lawful universe/etc.

Louis Cypher

Reply #12 - 03/27/08 at 23:22:22

Aleph is cursed regardless, even on the nonsensical Law path. (Seriously. Satan suddenly turning against YHVH? Such bull.)

View Profile   IP Logged
0kami7777

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #13 - 03/28/08 at 20:22:46

When IS SMT4 going to come out? Geeze, I expected them to catch up with next gen and start the game cycle pattern over again (an SMT, a new series entry, a Devil Summoner, a Persona) But I guess the Persona quoted will be fulfilled first, huh? With 4 and all...

View Profile   IP Logged
OneWingedSin
Less Newbies

I love Philemon!

Reply #14 - 03/29/08 at 17:44:18

Well, since SMT4 is going on the PS3, and Persona 4 is going on the PS2, and P4 is also 'reusing' a LOT of the P3 coding, I'm sure that it was a bit easier to develop Smiley

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Angel Heart
Less Newbies

The Devil That Lives
In Georgia

Reply #15 - 03/29/08 at 22:35:29

Quote from Tallgeese on 01/20/08 at 22:40:19:
it's basically the same sequel as True Demon. You fight YHVH. Only in True Demon, it's made more obvious.

I find it laughable that Lucifer claims to support you in Freedom. He only wants to piss off God.

What if in FREEDOM ending, it suggested something else, another force that "Walked The Path of Thorns" where the True Enemy is Lucifer. There are millions of mythologies filled with tales of martyrs and messiahs, all ol' Kaz has to do is make a trip to the library and pick from there

Moo
View Profile   IP Logged
Louis Cypher

Reply #16 - 03/30/08 at 01:43:17

If I recall, Kagutsuchi says that, then at the end it is probably Lucifer speaking. So they're both telling you to watch for the 'true enemy'. Except it's each other.

View Profile   IP Logged
neonecron

I Love Jack Frost!
Persona Text?

Reply #17 - 03/30/08 at 04:55:36

Not going to happen, but what if the true enemy was neither and either the player or something else?

Louis Cypher

Reply #18 - 03/30/08 at 08:43:48

Oh come now, we all know Atlus is Christophobic, so...

View Profile   IP Logged
Angel Heart
Less Newbies

The Devil That Lives
In Georgia

Reply #19 - 03/30/08 at 09:13:33

Quote from Tallgeese on 03/30/08 at 08:43:48:

Christophobic?... That where ya hate Christians or afraid of them. But anyway. Hey, any mention of Wiccan deities in any of the games

Moo
View Profile   IP Logged
0kami7777

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #20 - 03/30/08 at 14:20:33

^ I haven't gotten that far yet into Nocturne, but Aradia apparently is in as a goddess who instead of trying to form a reason is sort of trying to take care of give people hope. But becuase this a cynical game, I think she's sort of frowned upon as being useless and giving people false help. Which really makes no sense, becuase hope is a motivating force that would, if anything, drive people to the Reasons.

View Profile   IP Logged
Louis Cypher

Reply #21 - 03/30/08 at 15:04:34

Quote from Angel Heart on 03/30/08 at 09:13:33:

Christophobic?... That where ya hate Christians or afraid of them. But anyway. Hey, any mention of Wiccan deities in any of the games

Exactly. And SMT is full of the first one.

View Profile   IP Logged
Angel Heart
Less Newbies

The Devil That Lives
In Georgia

Reply #22 - 03/30/08 at 18:59:19

Quote from Tallgeese on 03/30/08 at 15:04:34:
Quote from Angel Heart on 03/30/08 at 09:13:33:

Exactly. And SMT is full of the first one.

Wow, no wonder I got strange looks when I said I played it, what being a Christian and all(not the preaching Hell fire and damnation Christian, the nice, more open minded Christian). But holy crap thinking back now, just wow. At least Atlus are a little subliminal about the content

Moo
View Profile   IP Logged
Louis Cypher

Reply #23 - 03/31/08 at 04:24:56

Well, that's true up until SMT2 and beyond, where it becomes increasingly obvious.

In SMT1 Law and Chaos were fairly balanced. In SMT2 on, Law has been 'the bad guys;, and Chaos and Neutral the 'good guys' against ebil ebil oppressing Gawd. And sad, pathetic 'rage against the machine' teenagers gobble it up like the sheep they are.

View Profile   IP Logged
Angel Heart
Less Newbies

The Devil That Lives
In Georgia

Reply #24 - 03/31/08 at 20:00:53

Quote from Tallgeese on 03/31/08 at 04:24:56:
Well, that's true up until SMT2 and beyond, where it becomes increasingly obvious.

In SMT1 Law and Chaos were fairly balanced. In SMT2 on, Law has been 'the bad guys;, and Chaos and Neutral the 'good guys' against ebil ebil oppressing Gawd. And sad, pathetic 'rage against the machine' teenagers gobble it up like the sheep they are.

Amen to that

Moo
View Profile   IP Logged
0kami7777

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #25 - 03/31/08 at 21:10:59

I really don't get Japan's ragging on Christianity considering that it seems Japan is pretty much embracing of it as a culture (according to an interview with Satoshi Kon on Paprika). Kon mentioned that becuase Shintoism accepts the belief that there are many gods, that the Christian God is relatively easy to incorporate into the synthesis religion Japan has (they love coming religions apparently, ever since Buddhism) and they actually incorporate Christianity int otheir lives as traditional wedding ceremonies. So it's sort of weird to see games like Xenogears and FF Tactics diss.

View Profile   IP Logged
Spider Bike

Reply #26 - 03/31/08 at 22:13:10

Probably not a religion diss, rather a westerner diss.

View Profile   IP Logged
0kami7777

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #27 - 03/31/08 at 23:47:55

> . > And here I was thinking that whole world war 2 thing was a thing of the past...

But actually, if you think about it, Americans also typecast certain countries in villain roles (you know, ina ction movies and games) even if we're on good terms with them.  

It's not that we hate you, it's just that your country makes a good megolomaniac adversary  Wink

View Profile   IP Logged
Spider Bike

Reply #28 - 04/01/08 at 00:56:23

Quote from 0kami7777 on 03/31/08 at 23:47:55:
> . > And here I was thinking that whole world war 2 thing was a thing of the past...

Yeah, Japan wants boo hoo over the bombing we did, yet kinda forgets the rape camp thing they had over in china.

In any case, I doubt its a WW2 thing, rather, its probably a "Not Japanese" thing. Americans are not japanese. Therefor, they're pale skinned devils out to rape the homeland, AND ONLY FIVE TEENAGERS WITH ATTITUDE CAN STOP THEM.

View Profile   IP Logged
Louis Cypher

Reply #29 - 04/01/08 at 11:18:03

Quote from Alizarin on 04/01/08 at 00:56:23:
Quote from 0kami7777 on 03/31/08 at 23:47:55:

Yeah, Japan wants boo hoo over the bombing we did, yet kinda forgets the rape camp thing they had over in china.

In any case, I doubt its a WW2 thing, rather, its probably a "Not Japanese" thing. Americans are not japanese. Therefor, they're pale skinned devils out to rape the homeland, AND ONLY FIVE TEENAGERS WITH ATTITUDE CAN STOP THEM.

We have a winner. And supposedly this BS is somehow 'mature' or some crap.

At least this series usually has nice gameplay, I wish they'd balance the games better in this regard though, both story and charcater wise.

Seriously, look at the Four Seraphs: Uriel, Raphael, Gabriel, Michael. If you pay any attention at all, ever since SMT1 they've been weaker and weaker.

SMT1: They're final, seperate, endgame bosses. Gabriel was pretty much the only boss invulnerable to the Sleep Bullet exploit I can recall.

SMT2: You fight Uriel and Raphael in one fight as midgame bosses. Michael is up next, and while his HP is huge... that's about it if I recall.

SMT3 on: All of the Seraphs from this point on are TERRIBLE as bosses. You fight Uriel, Raphael, Gabriel together, and they suck horribly. THE SERAPHS DO NOT HAVE OR JUST BARELY USE DEKAJA ON YOU. This includes METATRON. He just will not pop it off after a point, making him pathetically easy.

To drive the point home, the game says Metatron is stronger than Beelzebub. But check their technique list.

Beelzebub: Death Flies is the big news here. You MUST protect against Death OR YOU ARE DEAD, GUARANTEED. And if you block death you still choke on Megidolaon like damage. This skill is seriously, seriously broken. IT EVEN GETS WORSE in DDS WHEN HE GETS MAHAMAON AND HE WILL CHAIN IT.  

Metatron: Debilitate, Fire of Sinai, Maragidyne, Mahamaon. You block Mahamaon, whoops, he loses both turns. Fire of Sinai is dangerous if you consider he can Makakaja... until you realize when he starts casting Makakaja HE BASICALLY STOPS CASTING DEKAJA ON YOU. This renders his Makakajaing USELESS since he can just you can just buff yourself. He does not improve in DDS except maybe replacing his one hit physical attack with Revelation and gains Mind Charge. In fact he gets worse in comparison to bugboy up there since you don't have to burn two skill slots to prevent you being autokilled. In DDS, he still barely knows he can Dekaja so he sucks as a boss.  

He even has WAY WORSE IMMUNITIES as bugboy in DDS suddenly becomes almost Masakados-level immunity wise in DDS. (Immune to all but Phys, Fire, Almighty, Metatron just gets standard boss immunity); This despite the fact you have to do way more work to even get to Metatron... including FIVE annoying optional bosses that all have better immunities by leaps and bounds. He has bar none the worst optional boss immunities in the entire game, and is overall the easiest optional despite the fact he requires the third most work to get to.

It's like... what the fuck here. That's just insane.

View Profile   IP Logged
Angel Heart
Less Newbies

The Devil That Lives
In Georgia

Reply #30 - 04/01/08 at 18:57:28

For the next SMT game, they should have it as difficult as the first one. Another feature would be things to do, like side quest and stuff, maybe even a game so long it takes two disk to fill

Moo
View Profile   IP Logged
Isao Kronos

Remodeled Teacher

Reply #31 - 04/01/08 at 19:14:19

The final boss should be a giant black penis.

[center]
View Profile   IP Logged
0kami7777

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #32 - 04/01/08 at 19:21:38

^ Sadly, I wouldn't out it past Atlus to finally say "screw it, we'll go all out and just have the last boss be a huge, girthy phallus. Even Mara will cry in shame."

But on the anti-western thing, we can't totally pull the biased racism card on Atlus. After all, a majority of Digital Devil Saga was set in The USA (specifically Connecticut or Oregon depending on what you're looking for locale and story wise) and featured good guy American characters.

View Profile   IP Logged
Louis Cypher

Reply #33 - 04/02/08 at 01:06:59

Really? Where?

Argilla was a ditz. Same with Cielo, who barely got any story.

Serph used to be an evil fucker, turned into a nice mute. Not a good tradeoff.

Heat turned into a brash-ish good guy, turned into a brash guy in general because OMG Sera h8s him for going against her loverboy Evil Human Serph.

Angel was your standard Chaos spokeswoman... except mysteriously in DDS the 'God' wasn't really cursed and reviled by anyone despite being EVERY BIT AS MUCH OF AN ASSHOLE IF NOT DOWNRIGHT IDIOTIC FOR LISTENING TO A WHINY MENTAL PRETEEN. I guess that only happens when you're Judaic and awesome.

I only cncede the point to Gale and to a lesser extent Roland.

View Profile   IP Logged
Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #34 - 04/02/08 at 02:36:52

I'm interested, but how do you get Connecticut as the location for DDS?  I could see it as Oregon due to the Portland sign in the tunnels at the beginning of the game.  Were you thinking of Maine?  It also has a Portland, but Maine really doesn't have the kind of cities Oregon has.  I am also pretty sure that the locations outside of Karma City may be located in Alaska or a similar place--I can't remember what made me think that though.  I was probably just pushing through the game really late at night and delirious.  

As for the portrayal of Westerners, I think that it's interesting that people are assuming Japanese like to portray Western civilization negatively.  There are a lot of games that demonstrate a certain fascination with Western history etc.  Like that Eternal Sonata game, the Shadow Heart series, and Jeanne D'Arc or whatever they passed it off as.  I almost find those types of games to be disgusting in that they totally degrade historical figures by transforming them into moronic characters in a world that is for the most part completely influenced by JRPG stereotypes and disregarding history.  Still, there is a reason certain Western historical figures are chosen, and it isn't with the intention to slam them or degrade them, but to kind of play up on their hype.

Conversely, we love to bastardize all foreign cultures as well, but (and obviously this is biased) I think Americans are almost ridiculously oversensitive to how they portray foreign culture in any of their art/media forms--to the point of self-censuring.  We can't even really resolve the crux of civil rights, and probably never will, but at the same time tiptoe around things that have been cultural understandings etc because we think we're being nice or trying to fix something--we're still calling attention to it and making neither good art or a good dialog between different factions of our population.  I mean, I personally get really annoyed when people talk about how inappropriate Disney's Peter Pan is, for example.  I mean, yeah it was made literally for our parents generation, but that doesn't mean it's inappropriate for children to watch it today.  It's still just as charming and endearing as it ever was, and I don't think that it will detrimentally damage any young mind by turning it into an intolerant racist.

I think that America has a lot of self-hating going on right now.  We have, honestly, really screwed ourselves.  Our Constitution is fundamentally a worthless piece of paper as our Congress is a vestigial structure hanging off the Executive branch, rarely if ever checking or balancing anything.  Our people have grown so detached and disgusted that we either feign extremes of apathy or patriotism.  I think that if Atlus made an SMT 4 that was hating on America, it would probably relate well to the majority of Megaten fans here.  It would be nice to see a snapshot of America from the outside, which is almost always going to be negative in this day and age, at a time when we are all holding our heads low in shame.

SMT loves apocalypse, and it's a great time in recent history to capitalize on the fears of at least, the collapse of the "American Empire," our country tis of thee, that grew up at the wrong time to consider conquering the rest of the world and inadvertently compromising its own sovereignty (esp on an economic level) by completely destroying the sovereignty of foreign states (and of course, simply because it was convenient).

Louis Cypher

Reply #35 - 04/02/08 at 03:06:35

...Or you can be like me, IE rational, and lean towards the apathy side. That is, why the hell do I have to answer to a bunch of imbeciles hellbent on disliking an entire country for no real good reason? I'd much rather they looked in the mirror and realize that if they were in a similar position they would probably do very similar things. Speak for yourself about hanging heads low in shame, you're only validating the equally jingoistic views of crowds like Eurofags. I don't need to rationalize what the country I happen to live in does to foreign idiots, even if I do think we should've gone all SMT YHVH on Iraq by now.

I mean, there's hush hush about the Rape of Nanking in Japan, but do you see similar hush hush over Vietnam? No. What the hell here? That kind of thing is utter bullshit.

Any SMT game bashing America at any point in time would go over well with Megaten fans, because guess what? A large number of them are all "FUCK AMERIKKA, UP WITH GLORIOUS NIPPON WAN THEY HAD NO RIGHT TO BOMB HIROSHIMA OH POOR CHERRY BLOSSOM SPIRIT OF JAPAN" types to BEGIN WITH. Your point is wasted on that front since I'm barely being hyperbolic, which is distressing.

The Constitution always was a piece of paper, written by philosophers claiming that they held knowledge of certain fundamental truths. Shame is, these truths don't exist, and even if they do, they certainly aren't inalienable simply by virtue of the fact that for all practical purposes they can be taken away by a greater power.

The American Empire schitck is old and tired, not to mention shallow at this point while being lauded as 'mature' by people with helium in their heads instead of gray matter. Which is suppose fits how SMT plots are in general.

View Profile   IP Logged
Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #36 - 04/02/08 at 12:38:19

As much as I hate using this line Tallgeese, I'm afraid we'll just have to disagree on this.  I think that as appetizing as apathy is, it's not justifiable.  I also think that much of the world has every right to dislike America, because while our country has a lot of good things going for it, we are a very paranoid power.  In our paranoia we have compromised the sovereignty of foreign states and yet at the same time uphold the sovereignty of countries that have a less legitimate right to exist in the first place.  We are an imbalance to the way the world should work, and as a result there is going to be resentment and resistance. I don't think that smaller powers in this world should be expected to empathize with what they view as the oppressor.  Certainly many European countries have a much easier time avoiding the conflict America is subjected to, but that's expected.  

The Constitution is only a piece of paper if the people choose to treat it as one.  I mean, you seem to be hung up especially on the Bill of Rights, which is fine, but when I say the Constitution is void I am not talking about the government oppressing personal freedoms--I am talking about the fact that we no longer abide by the rules in which the systems of our government should work.  We really might as well be a monarchy the way we have been working in the past 8 years.  Congress rarely if ever asserts itself, and in the end, a president who really didn't win by much of a margin at all is calling the shots for all of us.  Things are broken, and we can't be apathetic, or the things that both you and I enjoy will not be secure.  They probably already are not.  If the system worked, then we wouldn't have to worry about whether or not we are actually being represented in our "democracy."  I mean, maybe you do want war, considering you want to open a can of SMT YHVH on Iraq's ass, but the general consensus is that we shouldn't be there in the first place (and we wouldn't be there in the first place if Congress (our closest form of representation) still held the reigns as far as declaring war was concerned), and as a result we aren't capable of escaping past blunders--Vietnam for instance.  Japan may be hiding its Rape of Nanking, but it is also a radically different country than it was during WWII.  

Call it old and even shallow, but there is truth to the fact that America is awkwardly aligned in history in comparison to the rise of imperialism in the west.  When imperialism was all the rage in Europe, America was still too developmental to really get a foothold on that stuff.  I mean, we did have manifest destiny, and we did completely obliterate countless sovereign indigenous nations across our country in our Westward expansion, but this I think is viewed differently from the notion of our imperial desire, as we never viewed the native people as legitimate nations.  I think that since we have "risen as the sole superpower" we have wanted to play "winner takes all" in one way or the other.  We are youthful enough as a nation to have this immature desire to continue to annex and expand, but at the same time, the rest of at least the West is fairly set in its ways.  I am not talking about the American empire in any sort of douche-y, perhaps conspiracy driven, way.  I mean to say that simply on a time line, America has hit the point where if it had existed during the time of imperialism, it would have taken an extraordinary interest in it.  Some people feel like maybe America has the right to undertake a certain form of imperialism, I mean maybe even it has a precedent since the Spanish American War when we absorbed the remaining parts of the Spanish Empire, but others feel like we should not be a selfish, child of a nation and exist differently.  So if you take the fact that there is a very old precedent for imperialistic sentiment in America (probably since the Spanish American war) and apply the fact there are still unresolved issues from it today (the territories we accumulated as a result of that war still have issues with how they should identify themselves), then the idea of the American Empire is yeah pretty old but also really relevant.

This obviously has diverted from the point of this thread, but I really have no way of connecting this to back to SMT.  I will agree with you though, and say that while the Megaten series is celebrated as being mature and dark it often is just a superficial intelligence that makes any part in the game.  I mean, Persona 3, again, is total proof.  It was exciting to think of ideas of memento mori, teen suicide, being applied to a game, and we got nothing more than a tedious, shallow, and dungeon crawl, with painful final revelations...  (Did anyone else cringe during the Nyx battle--"I am death that you can't escape blah balh" Kids: "We are scared, but it's cool, we probably won't die because we BELIEVE WITH OUR HEARTS and made great friends together!")  It's so saccharine it gives me diabetes.

Louis Cypher

Reply #37 - 04/02/08 at 16:53:18

I question what gave you the right to decide which states have a legitimate claim to sovereignity and which don't, since that utterly defeats the point you were trying to make in your first paragraph. If you can think that something has a less legitimate claim, any greater power can turn around and make that very same claim, and since it's merely a difference of pure opinion... I also hope you aren't referring to Israel there, that bit is also ancient and tired.

It's unfortunate, but he who has the power and is willing to exert that power makes the rules. As much as I try to uphold a standard of justice, it is simply an unfortunate fact of life that Congress is unwilling to exercise its power for fear of political hardball. And that's Congress' own fault. Further, you misunderstand me. I don't want war, I want genocide of opposition since I have no reason to value human life that is not dear to me for one personal reason or another. If I had a choice between letting the cesspool called Iraq continue to exist and wiping it off the map... well, let's just say I have no particular attachment to the area. I would've been quite happy if it was announced forthwith that Iraq was about oil and it was actually about oil, then we'd have seen some sort of material benefit from it.

As I said, I don't particularly care what older Western nations think; as noted, they have their crimes, and I maintain that if they had the kind of power the United States does, they would be quite happy to act in a similar fashion, which I note you did not dispute. Let's face it, it's like war fever: it lasts until you hear of setbacks. That kind of thing happened to Napoleon.\, for excample. While he won, the French were happy. When he eventually lost... well, not so much. If he had kept winning the French would've been happy to conquer more. I guarantee that if the British Empire never had any setbacks for example, like the American Revolution, they would probably still be pretty imperialistic. It has nothing to do with maturity, it has all to do with simply not having the power and resources.

Concurrance on P3.

View Profile   IP Logged
Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #38 - 04/02/08 at 23:52:20

Although I don't want to engage this kind of argument, I can come off as a bit of an anti-zionist.  I don't really believe Israel makes sense.  I don't think it has any true claim to the land it occupies.  It is an ancient and tired bit.  It is incapable to decide what is right, and that is probably because as long as people believe in the Hebrew Bible, people will believe in the zionist movement.  I personally think that if you think that the law of the greater powers is the voice of truth, then the Palestinians who were living on the land that became Israel for centuries after the Roman empire claimed it, have every right to remain there.  I could go on for a long time about how I dislike Israel on so many levels.  I know it would probably enrage a lot of people and probably a lot of members on this board.  It doesn't mean that I am anything like an anti-semite, as I treat people equally, but on an ideological level and a political level, I just don't think that Israel really makes sense.  I also think it's deplorable that they have rejected and imprisoned people fleeing genocide--if they are going to exist as this relatively sane, artificial imposition of the West in the Middle East, the very least they can do is shelter people fleeing persecution.  The bullshit war that took place two summers ago also really disgusts me.  Sorry if I'm siding with "Terrorists" but Israel played mighty dirty in their war against Hezbollah.  If they want to truly be the higher, more moral authority, then they should behave as one.  That means dealing with the fact two non-civilians may have been kidnapped and murdered (can't remember??) by an antagonistic fashion, and not bombing civilians and OIL RIGs that have (haha) actually caused a lot of damage to Israel's waters and ecosystems as a result.  (I can't remember exactly what it was, but one detail that surprisingly didn't draw a lot of attention by our media was the Israeli bombing of an oil rig/refinery/something that would cause oil to spill into the coastline--the result was that yeah you may have disabled your enemy but you've fucked up a body of water that's going to be connected to a lot of other nations, including, oops, yours).

So basically, I know a lot of people will disagree with me on this, but I am playing with your same logic Tallgeese--and even less so.  If you think it's appropriate to desire genocide of opposition, then I can at the very least hold a sentiment that is against Israel.  It was a ridiculous way for the West to make up for the Holocaust, and it has as a result caused that horrible time in history to ripple into the present. Nothing can truly amend for what Nazi Germany did in the past, and I can't think of anything that's going to make up for the damage the hate, loss, and destruction spurred by Israel's existence is causing now.  It's a great example of what I mean by the imbalance of power America exerts--we are giving this tiny sovereign state the power to assert itself over neighboring nations and coexisting ethnic bodies that (barring scripture and not even the whole way as both Muslims and Christians have a right to the "Holy Land" as much as the Jews) have a more legitimate reason for inhabiting that land.  Why the hell are we still feeling the tension of the crusades.  It's ridiculous, and honestly, not any interest of mine.  

I think that your argument for the whole imperialism bit makes sense--it's a good counter argument to mine--but it doesn't answer why Britain and France gave up their African and Asian territories.  I mean, Britain could easily have exerted control over a lot of its territories longer than it did I think.  It's now dealing with the fall out of not really exerting control but still having interest in areas it used to have claims over.  Again, a lot of the land they relinquished came as a response to WWII which /very well/ could have been because they were exhausted from the war and lacked resources to maintain their claims, but also because, let's face it, after seeing how Germany's lust for empire decimated Europe the idea of Imperialism itself was kind of shot.  If you look at it that way, then there's still an essence of maturity, and an ideological shift in how a nation defines itself.  I mean, maybe you could even say that through a need to redefine a nation after its borders have been blurred by war and occupation, sticking to historical precedent and a nation's core would make sense.  I mean yeah nationalism was really rampant around WWII, but I think we can even see it causing problems right now in Europe.  I mean, a lot of people were upset with our support of Kosovo's independence because they feel that now it's going to cause other similar situations of large concentrations of ethnic groups/etc to want to embrace nationalism and the violence it often brings.

I mean, I don't really claim to be an expert on any of this stuff, but I think it's important that I at least express my views.  A lot of your arguments make sense to me, but I can't completely accept them.  

But let me ask, with your desire for "genocide of opposition," you didn't happen to have the Yosuga ending in Nocturne did you?

Isao Kronos

Remodeled Teacher

Reply #39 - 04/03/08 at 00:03:30

WALLS OF BULLSHIT

[center]
View Profile   IP Logged
Louis Cypher

Reply #40 - 04/03/08 at 07:18:11

The only one who has claim to anything is he who has the ability to defend and hold that claim. You forgot that by the law of greater powers that I've mentioned, Israel has the right to remain exactly where it is by virtue of the fact that: A) It was placed there by greater powers, and B) it has managed to repel the power of a combined set of Middle Eastern nations, who by the way have naught but TERRITORY EXPANSION and genocide in mind, so if you oppose imperialism you should very well tell a lot of the Muslim nations to shut the hell up,. because what a lot of them want is effectively total Muslim control over every inch of the Middle East. I call hypocrisy on you, and I am in fact beyond disgusted.

So they bombed an oil rig connecting to nations who all hate them that just happened to be connected to themselves as well. That's called assessment of damage and strategy. The Russians pulled a similar tactic against Napoleon and so on, by scorching their own fields to disable the enemy. It is a legitimate tactic. They Israelis know they cannot win in the PR race in anywhere but the United States thanks to, among other things, the growing Islamic populations in Eirope and so on not to mention historic and still continuing biases such as your own, so why should they bother? They're damned if they do and damned if they don't, which you fail to see. There is therefore no benefit to them whatsoever in playing fair, since EVEN IF THEY DID, people like you would not give them any credit for it that is worth a damn. So why should they care about opinions like yours? Hint: They shouldn't.

You can hold the desire of genocide of opposition, certainly, but you're only expressing it in order to placate the Muslim nations, who I think are far more deserving of genocide since they haven't contributed much of anything positive to the world for a long time scientifically that I can think of. Whereas I imagine that Israelis had a big hand in the operating system a lot of people are currently using (Microsoft's Israeli branch had a large hand in coding Windows XP if I recall correctly, and that is the best and most well-recieved version of Windows... ever.) What do Muslim nations contribute... a natural resource that they use to stranglehold a lot of more developed and less insane nations... a ntaural resource that ANYONE could harvest if they had the land, so that's pointless.

You're forgetting one example that has been mentioned before that should help you see the validity of my argument, and it's even been mentioned here before: Vietnam. France held Vietnam well after World War II, until, surprise, it didn't have the resources to fight the war there when it wanted independence. It was lack of power and lack of victory. I'm not particularly well-versed in British holdings after World War II, but a similar point probably resonates... the populace was tired of war and didn't have the stomach for any setbacks, so they pulled out. Very simple, elegant, and doesn't assume much of anything that wasn't already painfully obvious.

As for Kosovo... eh, who cares; if they want to revolt, let them. If they can win their independence, let them have it. I see no reason for us to support Serbia.

I had the True Demon ending simply to fufill my game completionist streak. That said, Yosuga was the least pretentious of the Reasons, since, surprise, for the most part they knew what had to be done and what it meant. The Law of the Vortex World WAS 'the strongest wins'. Of course, Atlus in its Christophobic biases stocked it with the weakest overall demons and powered down the angels on its side.

View Profile   IP Logged
0kami7777

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #41 - 04/03/08 at 17:26:16

^ But wouldn't it make sense for angels not to be alligned with that sort of ideology considering it's pretty much anarachical, or did I just not read that correctly?

I thought the most unique of the reasons was Isamu's. Not Chaos, Law, or Neutral, but you pretty much become your own God. Doesn't mean it's the better of the reasons, but it's a neat idea to consider.

View Profile   IP Logged
Louis Cypher

Reply #42 - 04/03/08 at 19:15:19

All of the Reasons are Law-based. Think about it, you're imposing your will on a new world, defining how it works. All of the Reasons were Law.

As for Yosuga... yeah, Yosuga is pretty much the closest thing to Chaos, which only serves to show that Chaos was just another Law, only Lucifer called those shots in the name of 'freedom'. Note the quotes.

View Profile   IP Logged
Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #43 - 04/03/08 at 23:36:47

I think that its disgusting that you think it's appropriate to value one kind of human life over the other.  I never even said that I would want to see genocide, although you think that I must be passively implying it, which is fair I suppose, given the fact that I said I was using your same logic.  I did not however mean to imply that I thought it was ever appropriate to endorse genocide, rather that my disapproval for the state of Israel runs in a similar vein to your unanimous disapproval for what seems to be an extension of all Muslim nations in the Middle East.  That disapproval by the way, and only seeing Iran, Iraq, etc, simply as oil resources /anyone/ could tap, is completely disgusting and ignorant of the rich culture and heritage those nations hold that have heavily influenced the world today.  I would much rather have all the ancient contributions of the Middle East than Microsoft XP, buddy.  Whether or not you think that sharia, Islam's holy law that most Westerners misinterpret and find fault in, is a good way to live, it's completely pigheaded to think that the way that we live is the only correct way to live.  Obviously there are plenty of Muslim assholes who think that their life is the only right way to life, but that is really only a small portion of believers.  There are as many scary ass Christians in this nation, and if you stop to look at Western history, and say, look at all the blood shed that was experienced simply within wars between Christians over Christian issues, you can honestly see that Islam, which is about as old as Christianity was then, is undergoing the same ideological battles.  Europe did not progress for a long time thanks to its struggles with what chalks up to religious bullcrap, and I think that its only fair to think that Islam must undergo a certain series of revolutions before the cultures and nations of the Middle East "move forward."

If you need me to list examples of how Islam can and has proven to function in a way that is not self-crippling and a source of human oppression, I will do so.  It's really easy.  If anything your take on it is pretty much based on what, how our media has represented it?  How thoroughly biased authors have written about how Islam can never function successfully with democracy?  And hey, maybe that's true, but who's to say that democracy is what the universal form of government should be.  Let's escape McCarthyism please and realize that non-democratic forms of government aren't legitimate threats to democratic ones.

I am sure that there are plenty of places where I am a "hypocrit," but I actually think it's not important whether or not my sentiments are all in accord.  I really think that everyone in some way or another is a hypocrit--the human condition, in my opinion, is largely supported by the anxieties our hypocrisies induce.  I am not the one calling the shots, or the one making foreign policy to "placate Muslim nations."  I am a person in this world who can empathize freely with whatever cause I want.  Those decisions don't make me a deplorable human being in my opinion, and if you consider who I am as an individual, you might think its surprising that I'd even be defending a nation like Iran right now (why after all would a homosexual ever do that?  Maybe because I am multi-dimensional--who cares if the thinking isn't completely resolved).  I mean, it's completely nuts that their leader is calling for the end to Israel--as a REALITY--that is terrifying. My stance is that the nation in itself is a problem that never should've been created, endorsed by us, and given an unfair advantage to stake its claims to the Holy Wasteland.  Also, a united Muslim front is completely different from an Empire.  It would be a composition of many individual sovereign states that don't have allegiance to any one certain state (and don't treat Allah as an impirical binder, the Christian faith functioned similarly for a good portion of the common era). If anything a unification of Islamic states may be an opportunity to calm the Middle East or at the very least let it direct its ideological problems against itself while the rest of us move on.  

I already expressed the idea that the European nations relinquishing their territories was along the lines of a lack of will to fight, so you aren't introducing me to anything obvious I may have overlooked.  My point about Kosovo was perhaps part of the walls of bullshit Isao Kronos was talking about--it was extraneous.  I am pretty indifferent to its independence, but just wanted to note how its nationalism is causing anxiety in Europe.  

Basically Tallgeese, when it boils down to it, don't accuse me of being a "disgusting person."  I think a large percentage of what you have said can be taken as equally "disgusting," and bombastic.  I have no intentions of taking this to a personal level or assuming anything about your character ( and likewise intelligence ), so do me a favor, and do the same.  For all other discussions I have seen taking place on this board, I am fairly in accord with your opinions.  I don't need an over the top denunciation of my character because I have said something equal in caliber to your own comments thrown in my face.  

Louis Cypher

Reply #44 - 04/03/08 at 23:50:06

Do point out where I said you were a distgusting person. Oh wait, I didn't.  

I also never said you supported genocide, I simply said that it would be hypocritical to support the Muslim claim to the land, because it's pretty obvious to me that they'd love to do it via genocide considering the group that got elected to the Palestinian government, WHICH DIRECTLY SUPPORTS SAID SOLUTION.

View Profile   IP Logged
Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #45 - 04/04/08 at 00:09:02

Then I'll let it drop, my apologies.  I misinterpreted your reaction to my comments.  At any rate, I have every intention of ending my tantrum; it's clearly unproductive, and I don't want to sour my relationships with anyone on this board.  Hopefully Tallgeese, our P3 haters "social link" isn't reversed or broken.

And out of completely unrelated interest, were you the member that either on the old or new boards disliked the fact that Persona 3 classified Lucifer as Star?  In a British Literature class I have been taking recently we were discussing, I think, how William Blake drew an allusion to the understanding of Lucifer as the brightest star.  It could've been someone else, but it immediately reminded me of the comments on this board.  I'll try to drag up the reference at any rate next time I see the point being discussed. I think for whoever it was that questioned that, this provides a cultural context that makes Atlus' classification of Lucifer under star appropriate.

To return this thread back to something of its namesake, should an SMT4 come out, how overt a connection do you think it will have to Nocturne?  Do you think that the connection will be solely game play based, or a sly continuation that opens room for interpretation of what developers intend as the true ending of Nocturne?  I mean, basically, will it be easter eggs (kind of like what we got in Nocturne as a successor to SMT 1 and 2) or will it be just like a game in a similar vein, etc?  Marketing wise, what do you think has the best chance of reaching development?

Louis Cypher

Reply #46 - 04/04/08 at 00:19:58

Lucifer's name means 'Light Bringer" or so forth. His title is also the 'Morning Star". I simply didn't think that other than that title he had any business being in the Star arcanum as opposed to Devil arcanum. I mean, I think most would say his status as a fallen personification of evil trumps whatever status he had as a bright star.

It's also fairly obvious that Atlus was deliberately ignoring his nature in Judeo-Christianity, as they put his Devil form in Judgment in FES.

View Profile   IP Logged
Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #47 - 04/04/08 at 00:43:57

Yeah, I just saw that on the wiki page and was like wtf?  Lucifer has no business being in Judgment.  I think that maybe the star arcana shouldn't be seen solely as a pure bright guiding light--maybe it could also be associated with the arrogance of Lucifer.  It is unconventional in consideration of the traditional attributes associated with the Star arcana, like tranquility, calmness, purity, blah blah blah, but stars are like an ideological mirroring and division of light/God.  Even if Lucifer is fallen, I don't think he's necessarily one and the same with entities under the Devil arcana like Beelzebub, which are truly demonic at the core of their being.  In short, devil in my opinion is just a little bit of an understatement for Lucifer.  Beelzebub isn't a traitor, he does his job, Lucifer is.  Lucifer wasn't designed to torment or deviate mankind, and so his fall could be seen as much as a punishment as it is a change of what he is.   I mean, there are certainly many many aspects of the devil arcana that fit Lucifer though, and yeah, I wouldn't complain if he was classified as Devil... Your argument makes sense.  I think one other idea that could keep Lucifer in star though is the moral implications of his arrogance--this is kind of like a check and balance to the nature of the Star arcana--there is a darker side to it.  A star like Lucifer should never assume it is as light and equal as God.  His place in the arcana allows for the overall meaning of the arcana to take on more dimension.

Louis Cypher

Reply #48 - 04/04/08 at 00:50:36

The problem is that meaning is kinda lost when he's more powerful  in the game by legions than Messiah, an obvious representation of Christ, who is God... who even makes Light items.

View Profile   IP Logged
Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #49 - 04/04/08 at 01:02:32

True story.  

Oh well, the angels are always a disappointment.  Instead of kicking dark attributed things' asses, they just get mauled by them.  There is never an expression of the duality of the angelic figures--well.... there's an expression of half of their duality, the less conventional half, which often makes them something along the lines of the status quo angelic aristocratic dbags from heaven on high.... and that's stupid.  Or at least boring when its done every single time.

I would've liked to see Christ make light items materialize when he maxed out all his skills.  Look guys, I died for you, take this lulz.

Louis Cypher

Reply #50 - 04/04/08 at 01:35:18

Indeed, you can pretty much tell there's no such thing as a balanced viewpoint in SMT, fuck what Kaneko says. The only viewpoints or deities pretty much generally venerated are the Buddhist, Hindu, Japanese, and anti-Christian if given a chance.

View Profile   IP Logged
ariseishirou
Less Newbies

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #51 - 04/28/08 at 01:30:17

I kinda hope it's true demon because the Neutral thing is getting kind of tired.

View Profile   IP Logged
Isao Kronos

Remodeled Teacher

Reply #52 - 04/28/08 at 11:41:26

I don't mind neutral, law and chaos were bunk in 1/2, and the non-neutral philosophies in 3 were really horse doody.

[center]
View Profile   IP Logged
Louis Cypher

Reply #53 - 04/28/08 at 15:56:19

Quote from ariseishirou on 04/28/08 at 01:30:17:
I kinda hope it's true demon because the Neutral thing is getting kind of tired.

I wouldn't mind if Law won the next one.

View Profile   IP Logged
ariseishirou
Less Newbies

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #54 - 04/28/08 at 17:25:54

Quote from Tallgeese on 04/28/08 at 15:56:19:
I wouldn't mind if Law won the next one.

Yeah? I liked Shijima a lot. I just don't see how the Law endings would lend themselves well to a sequel.  

Quote from Isao Kronos on 04/28/08 at 11:41:26:
I don't mind neutral, law and chaos were bunk in 1/2, and the non-neutral philosophies in 3 were really horse doody.

No way, Chaos had the best ending in SMT2. Law was kind of... confusing though, yeah. As for 3, I thought Neutral was probably the WORST ending. I mean, it mean you went though all that for absolutely nothing. It was a waste. I'd take the Reason endings over it.

View Profile   IP Logged
MutheSquirrel

Hanged Man

Reply #55 - 04/28/08 at 22:08:06

If they don't just break away with another story (which seems most likely these days), I'd put my money on neutral or true demon. Prolly true demon.

I'd prolly "like" to see Law get a foot in, but I doubt it would happen...

I felt kinda' ripped off my first play-through though, when I turned down everyone and didn't even get a final battle. =P That'll teach me to not want to kill my friends! I should have known better, really...

I dream of the day Vegetable Lamb turns up in a Megaten game... ;-;
Email View Profile MutheSquirrel lordclaws   IP Logged
Louis Cypher

Reply #56 - 04/28/08 at 22:37:46

...Chaos in SMT2 was Lucifer being pretentious as sin.

View Profile   IP Logged
ariseishirou
Less Newbies

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #57 - 04/29/08 at 01:05:03

Quote from Tallgeese on 04/28/08 at 22:37:46:
...Chaos in SMT2 was Lucifer being pretentious as sin.

But it's Lucifer, what do you expect? ;3 I liked the attention on the inhabitants of the undercity. On the flip side, Law was wtf, and Neutral was just kinda predictable.

View Profile   IP Logged
neonecron

I Love Jack Frost!
Persona Text?

Reply #58 - 05/13/08 at 19:37:26

It would be nice to see if they could make the next based of True Demon

Eikichi Girl

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #59 - 05/16/08 at 21:21:10

You know, I'd rather the next game be like SMT 3, and just sorta stand on its own story-wise.

Email View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print