Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Megaten Haven the SMT Bulletin Board
05/03/24 at 15:24:02
News:
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 16
Send Topic Print
Persona 4 (Read 57121 times)
Louis Cypher

Re: Persona 4
Reply #90 - 05/24/08 at 20:36:59

Quote from Sir_Asura on 05/24/08 at 19:33:13:
Quote:
It could be called promotion if doing so leads to a unqiue and powerful item though, just to play devil's advocate.

Well, aren't all video games about empowering weak, ineffectual males to begin with?  Just kidding.  

I don't know why you need to be kidding.

View Profile   IP Logged
RMarques

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #91 - 05/24/08 at 21:39:54

Quote:
It could be called promotion if doing so leads to a unqiue and powerful item though, just to play devil's advocate.

Well, aren't all video games about empowering weak, ineffectual males to begin with? Just kidding.

But it's true!

Rest assured, even if every single male in this game were straight, you'd still have a collection of revolting fan fiction and homo-erotic art between every conceivable male on male pairing.

And through the world, several fangirls are nodding their heads in agreement and expectation.

Email View Profile   IP Logged
SHODAN

I Wub Nodens-Wodens

Reply #92 - 05/25/08 at 01:46:32

Ironically, that's the only reason I dislike gays in videogames (or the idea of marketing them to females) the tons of retarded fanart I'd have to wade through, with the usual DON'T LIKE IT DON'T LOOK (it's hard not to look when it's all over the fucking place you know, especially on the series messageboards you want to frequent)

My brother's gay, my brother's awesome, I'm glad he wasn't born a girl otherwise he'd be reading Gravitation and going on about how difficult it is for males to date (well probably anyway, he's at that age)

So what I'm getting at is that the world isn't really ready for having gay characters in anything, usually gays are parodied in games as being giant flamboyant flamers or meek waifish effeminate things you can't tell are men. Once they're accepted as normal people we can have them in games. Til then they're going to be pretty annoying and ridiculous (of course, with few exceptions)

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #93 - 05/25/08 at 02:36:21

Blah, blah, blah.  Yeah, I have to agree that as a gay guy, I find most portrayals of gay men and gay issues to be completely thoughtless.  That's why I think Kanji would make a good fag (or really just a good step in the right direction), because he doesn't actually look like one.  Unfortunately Shodan, I am of the opinion that gays will never really be accepted fully, and that not only is this the fault of bigots everywhere but also homosexuals themselves.  Gay culture and gay representation is almost entirely a reaction to the prejudice and hatred they face; it simply perpetuates and reaffirms their place as an anomaly in society.  There will probably be a fluctuation in what defines gay and what defines the "norm" but all these issues that homosexuals bring into society don't necessarily have to be seen as purely gay ones or even ones that address the vast majority of gays today.  In my opinion, the label will always impose a stigma.  Now that we have a slight distance from legislation that is completely polarized towards a Christian persuasion, and its pretty slight, I think it would be a good idea for gays to redefine themselves and not in a crusading fashion.  Crusades are worthless.  I mean when you think that the story of Ganymede was originally used to advocate pederasty, you can see how far the "norm" can be defined.  I don't think it's too out of line to say that it's normal for two people of the same sex to prefer to be together.  I think it's kind of quaint that the people on this board are about as involved with the issue as all that yaoi trash is concerned, but going to art school, let me tell you, there is nothing in this world more painful than gay art that is trying to transcend it's confused, self-hating, and fundamentally disconnected place in society with a rainbow of passionate pride.  

Actually, since this thead has become so "f-ing GAY," I am going to try to employ a blatant move to get back to a broader topic...   If anyone wants to have a typical and completely unproductive forum gay war, then I'm all for doing it in a thread that isn't title Persona 4.  I'd prefer to talk about it outside of here or even in a Kanji specific thread, than push this all-purpose one to the point of oblivion.

So here are some questions for the better informed:  

We have confirmed that we can control all the characters, I'm assuming that means they can change personae as well.  Does anyone know how easily persona changes can be facilitated?  Are we possibly going to see a return to the system in Persona 2 where each character had a certain affinity with a number of arcana?  

Let's speculate on how obnoxious the soundtrack for P4 will be.  While I thought over all P3's fit the mood of the game, it isn't exactly easy listening.  Since this game is supposedly modeled after television, I'm betting the soundtrack is going to sound like soap opera music with a pop twist.  Is there going to be an OST? Etc?  

Is there anyone in this community who could reliably translate and relate to us the updates on the official site?

View Profile ErringArgonaut   IP Logged
citizen zero
Less Newbies

I love blastbeat!!!

Reply #94 - 05/25/08 at 03:44:12

aw, nobody wants war, and i just wished to question something mistakingly called freedom in the modern world...  

alright, from what i`ve read i remember promises to get about 200 Personas in P4. The number is pretty huge for one MC to use, so I think changing support chars Personas would be featured.

and for OST i presume it really would be easy listening cr... sh... songs and tracks.

shame on you, developers, for not making it exclusively grindcore through previous games... just joking!

View Profile   IP Logged
RMarques

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #95 - 05/25/08 at 08:09:58

Quote from Sir_Asura on 05/25/08 at 02:36:21:

Is there anyone in this community who could reliably translate and relate to us the updates on the official site?

There's a japanese speaker, but I haven't seen her post anywhere other than her introduction thread.

Onal Police
Newbies

I Love Jack Frost!

Achtung!
Reply #96 - 05/25/08 at 15:16:25

Внимание пользователям форума Megaten Haven! У вас зафиксирован вопиющий случай проявления Долбосраки в терминальной стадии! Так же на вас было написано заявление в Ональную полицию Российской Федерации. Поскольку наша организация не имеет международных полномочий, мы вынужденны всю собранную информацию отправить в местный аналогичный орган, который обязан будет наказать вас по всей строгости!

View Profile   IP Logged
RMarques

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #97 - 05/25/08 at 15:51:19

... What? Shocked

Choooo

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #98 - 05/25/08 at 15:53:01

Да я принимаю это очень серьезно. Однако, Megaten Haven основано из Россия, поэтому вам не нужны международные авторитеты. Мы расположены СПРАВЕДЛИВО ЗА ВАМИ. Не посмотрите за вами, сыграйте его холодное.

View Profile   IP Logged
Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #99 - 05/25/08 at 16:45:13

Hahaha, the babelfish of that is amazing.

0kami7777

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #100 - 05/25/08 at 21:42:26

0 - 0

Asura, I'm so on your level about the gay stereotype and it's them shooting themselves in the foot. Let's not get into my own clusterfucked mind, but being bisexual means sort of keeping up appearences between both worlds that you don't fully agree with. And it's hard to support the cuase of gay and lesbian brethren when they just keep on insisting on exclusivity and how weird and different they are when really they should try and show how they are just like anybody else. It's sort of the reverse of black civil rights. Gay power has come before gay acceptance and it's only dividing people.  

It's also interesting to know that out of the 5 gay freinds that immediately come to mind, none are stereotypical at all. None act effeminate or are interested in clothes or rainbows or anything like that.

And I also go to an art school, Asura XD I totally get where you're coming from. Is your school just visual arts or the spectrum like mine is (I'm in creative writing).

But ON topic:

Persona 4. I'm so glad they nixed (lol pun) Tarturus/stagnant dungeon in favor for diverse TV dungeons. I'm excited.

View Profile   IP Logged
Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #101 - 05/26/08 at 00:34:52

I go to RISD, so it's just art and design, but it's relatively easy to take classes at Brown or dual-enroll there.

It may be good that the randomly generated dungeon aspect seems to be gone, but I am concerned that it may lend a quality of rigidity to how we can level characters/develop teams that wasn't so much an issue in P3.  If the story's great then I'll probably be fine with that, but given that the game is keeping the "one more" system and that all the characters may end up with the same abilities P3's MC had, I bet the game may be extremely easy.  Too much customization in a game that doesn't give you the freedom to develop it could be an inherent flaw.  Since we still have the school calendar, I doubt it's going to be like returning to the same place to grind, etc.  Not that grinded is what games should be about, but a game that eliminates the idea that you work hard to earn rewarding battles kind of sounds lame to me.  

The shadow versions of each character appear in (or I guess on?) their personal "channel," which I guess is like a level?  Does anyone know how these things work?  Do you go through each person's personal dilemma's and then exhaust the need to go to their channels, or do we visit these places on specific dates?   How will we "hone our personae" if there isn't a generic place to do it when there isn't a story driven reason to go beat up shadows?

Louis Cypher

Reply #102 - 05/26/08 at 04:56:41

WHY did they make the One More system over Press Turns, eesh..

View Profile   IP Logged
citizen zero
Less Newbies

I love blastbeat!!!

Reply #103 - 05/26/08 at 05:11:47

Quote from Choooo on 05/25/08 at 15:53:01:
Да я принимаю это очень серьезно. Однако, Megaten Haven основано из Россия, поэтому вам не нужны международные авторитеты. Мы расположены СПРАВЕДЛИВО ЗА ВАМИ. Не посмотрите за вами, сыграйте его холодное.

:ROFL:
the babelfish of THAT is really amazing!!!  

учите русский, когда ваша страна будет колонизирована, вам это понадобится)))

and no, that Onal Police ain`t my virtual or something like that  Roll Eyes

View Profile   IP Logged
RMarques

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #104 - 05/27/08 at 07:45:58

Quote from Sir_Asura on 05/25/08 at 02:36:21:

Actually, since this thead has become so "f-ing GAY," I am going to try to employ a blatant move to get back to a broader topic... If anyone wants to have a typical and completely unproductive forum gay war, then I'm all for doing it in a thread that isn't title Persona 4. I'd prefer to talk about it outside of here or even in a Kanji specific thread, than push this all-purpose one to the point of oblivion.

>_< Now I'm tempted. Even after being burned out of debating on the internet in general. Curse ye!

*ahem*

Personally, between the One More system and DDS's, I'm not really fussed over either of them. They're both still the same old turn based JRPG battles with a little twist, so meh. What I'm really hoping is that Atlus actually prints this more than once. >_> Finding the games was hard enough while they were in print, let alone now that they're out of print.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 16
Send Topic Print