Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Megaten Haven the SMT Bulletin Board
05/01/24 at 22:44:56
News:
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Persona 4 Coming to PS2 (Read 18479 times)
Brand
YaBB Administrator

I Love Jack Frost!

Persona 4 Coming to PS2
01/11/08 at 12:34:28

Persona 4 Coming to PS2

Quote:
Atlus today updated its outlook for the first half of its current fiscal year. The company now expects an operating profit 430 million yen ($3.8 million USD), up 59% from the previous forecast. Sales projections remain unchanged at 9.7 billion yen ($85.69 million USD). While Atlus' home console gaming business has struggled recently, the company's outlook is very positive after the strong performance of Persona 3. During the current fiscal year ending on July 31st 2008, the Shin Megami Tensei makers plan to release a total of ten titles. Among these titles is apparently not only the upcoming sequel to Etrian Odyssey for DS, but according to Bloomberg Financial News, also Persona 4. Interestingly enough, the newest addition to the popular series is not bound for a handheld platform or next-gen console, but instead is in development for the good old PlayStation 2.

Source

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
CJ Awesome
Newbies

Attack by BONE

Re: Persona 4 Coming to PS2
Reply #1 - 01/12/08 at 11:45:17

Well, at least this means I can put off the purchase of a PS3 even longer.

Email View Profile   IP Logged
Kitsune
Less Newbies

Occultist

Reply #2 - 01/13/08 at 07:52:56

I wonder what direction they will take with this installment. Will it remain a dungeon crawler or will it go back to becoming a traditional RPG?

Personally I liked the Dungeon crawling with the high school atmosphere, it fit quite well and get them a lot of room to flesh out the characters and give the usual silent main character a way of not seeming so one dimensional.

Email View Profile Kitsune   IP Logged
mknzy
Global Moderator

Hell Biker

Reply #3 - 01/13/08 at 08:53:51

I think with how successful P3 has been, they will likely keep to the same format for the next one.

View Profile WWW mknzy mknzy 1099850 JoshFicter   IP Logged
Brand
YaBB Administrator

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #4 - 01/13/08 at 10:44:06

Quote from Kitsune on 01/13/08 at 07:52:56:
I wonder what direction they will take with this installment. Will it remain a dungeon crawler or will it go back to becoming a traditional RPG?

Personally I liked the Dungeon crawling with the high school atmosphere, it fit quite well and get them a lot of room to flesh out the characters and give the usual silent main character a way of not seeming so one dimensional.

Even though the first Persona didn't have random dungeons they were very long and complicated and I like that Persona 3 reminds me a lot of that.  Even the big evil corporation kind thing was in both stories.

I wouldn't mind if it were like Persona 3.  I'd say the biggest thing I would like different would be to have more control over all the other characters.  The AI was pretty good in this game but still sometimes I wanted more control.

astroman
Newbies

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #5 - 01/13/08 at 11:14:06

I agree w/ Brand in the fact that I would like to have more control over the other characters but in the same sense, I think that only controlling "your" character lets you connect more to that individual person. And because of that I can forgive the other characters from making the occasional irrational decision because that's what people do in real life.  
Regardless, I'll end up getting P4 no matter how much they change or don't change the gameplay.

Isao Kronos

Remodeled Teacher

Reply #6 - 01/13/08 at 21:33:08

i swear to freaking god persona 4 better have baofu or nate and not be a crappy dating sim

[center]
View Profile   IP Logged
Louis Cypher

Reply #7 - 01/13/08 at 23:15:23

I wish it'd be 2D so we could get some interesting designs, but fat chance.

View Profile   IP Logged
Minato Arisato
Less Newbies

Daydreamer.

Reply #8 - 01/14/08 at 09:44:29

Although I'd prefer it if Persona 4 was like Persona 3, I wouldn't mind a change in story as long as it's interesting.
I should also add at this point that Persona 4 being on the PS 2 made my day.

View Profile   IP Logged
Kitsune
Less Newbies

Occultist

Reply #9 - 01/14/08 at 17:32:13

Quote from Isao Kronos on 01/13/08 at 21:33:08:
i swear to freaking god persona 4 better have baofu or nate and not be a crappy dating sim

Isn't the world of Persona 1 and 2 a game in P3? Personally I don't mind the new faces, but I kinda missed a few of the older guys.

Email View Profile Kitsune   IP Logged
Brand
YaBB Administrator

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #10 - 01/14/08 at 17:43:21

Well, if you turned on the TV in the dorm a lot of the time they did refer back to Persona 1 & 2 characters and what they are currently doing at that point in time.  So apparently P3 takes place in the same universe, but at a later point in time, and yet another a different city.  It's also mentioned that Kirijo is some branch of the Nanjou family.

cj iwakura
Less Newbies

The Rhythm Rogue

Reply #11 - 01/14/08 at 19:49:00

I don't mind the new direction the series took with 3(in fact, I enjoyed it), but I wouldn't mind seeing the old cast and (especially) the demon conversation system returning.

Persona was my first experience with SMT, so talking with demons is practically essential to the series in my book.

Brand
YaBB Administrator

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #12 - 01/14/08 at 19:56:36

That is something I have missed in DDS and Persona 3.  Though I don't think it bothered me as much in Persona 3.  DDS it seems they could have worked in the demon talking system in many cool ways but it was to much effort to do.

Daio
Less Newbies

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #13 - 01/14/08 at 20:01:05

I think not having the talking system works in P3 and DDS2. In P3, the monsters you face aren't your Personae, and in DDS2 you can't fuse or recruit monsters (especially since your goal is to devour them).

mknzy
Global Moderator

Hell Biker

Reply #14 - 01/14/08 at 22:38:29

I hope it really does end up on PS2, I don't have any plans to get a PS3 any time soon.  Looking forward to it.

View Profile WWW mknzy mknzy 1099850 JoshFicter   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print