Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Megaten Haven the SMT Bulletin Board
05/03/24 at 06:17:59
News:
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Persona 4 Coming to PS2 (Read 18483 times)
SHODAN

I Wub Nodens-Wodens

Re: Persona 4 Coming to PS2
Reply #15 - 01/15/08 at 01:17:03

Quote from Tallgeese on 01/13/08 at 23:15:23:
I wish it'd be 2D so we could get some interesting designs, but fat chance.

Sony haet 2D. Sad

Also yeah, less dating sim. And personally I don't like the high school thing either, tis why I liked 2 better since they were more "grown up" with jobs and spy devices and private boats with giant #1's on them

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
neonecron

I Love Jack Frost!
Persona Text?

Reply #16 - 01/18/08 at 21:36:00

This is some pretty cool informatzione.

Here is a signature. I rushed this badly so don't kill yoke.
Email View Profile WWW neonecron   IP Logged
nel_jp
Less Newbies

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #17 - 01/18/08 at 23:19:43

I can't wait to see some screenshot of this series.. I love the dating systems in P3 and I wouldn't mind if the demon conversation is included in P4 as well, somehow its just fun to read em. Grin

View Profile   IP Logged
Kitsune
Less Newbies

Occultist

Reply #18 - 01/19/08 at 19:05:46

Personally I like the new conversation system where different people will affect how your fusions will turn out. The EXP boost helps. All in all I really don't have any complaints about P3. I mean as long as I scan my enemies and then tell my team mates what to do, I never have any problem with anything. Plus they are not very stupid unless you never scan your enemies or they are new enemies.  

The Dating sim was fun to be honest, it gave a nice distraction and really helped the story along just for the hell of it. Introducing some of the older characters would be nice but their storyline is mostly over.

Email View Profile Kitsune   IP Logged
Louis Cypher

Reply #19 - 01/19/08 at 19:59:46

Meh, Nyar was a cooler villain for sure.

View Profile   IP Logged
Kitsune
Less Newbies

Occultist

Reply #20 - 01/20/08 at 07:22:52

It would be pretty boring if they just kept bringing him back all the time.

Louis Cypher

Reply #21 - 01/20/08 at 08:29:28

...How do you figure? Every SMT game since 1 has brought back the same foes.

View Profile   IP Logged
Kitsune
Less Newbies

Occultist

Reply #22 - 01/20/08 at 11:14:55

YHVH was not in Nocturne, unless you went for the true demon ending. Same enemies is one thing but I would personally get bored having to chase after Nyar especially since technically he can't be killed off so there really is no point to fighting him.

Louis Cypher

Reply #23 - 01/21/08 at 04:25:31

That depends on if you consider Kagutsuchi something like Shaddai, Elohim, etc.

And this is kind of the point. No SMT creature really dies, they get revived in a cycle. YHVH for example comments he'll be back no matter what.

View Profile   IP Logged
Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #24 - 01/22/08 at 03:31:34

Personally, I found Persona 3 to be hollow compared to what it potentially promised.  While Persona 2 didn't exactly do a great job borrowing from the Jungian philosophy the sub-series gets its name from, it did a far better job providing a partially thought provoking game.  I found the threat of the "shadows" to be entirely stupid and vapid.  Mitsuru's mid game explanation for their existence was pretty moronic, and the simulation aspects of Persona 3 became much more important than anything that traditionally fueled the gaming experience.  The shadow versions of the protagonists found in Innocent Sin is a much more accurate use of the duality between Shadow and Persona.  Using the name shadow to describe creepy crawlies of the night that prey on one's fears and insecurities, mmmm, not as good.

Role playing through the lens of how "other high schoolers perceive me" is definitely not as fun or fulfilling as role playing in a world, damaged so much by the collective negativity of humanity, that rumors can become reality.  Yes, the Persona is a mask. No, I don't see how my popularity on the swim team taps into my ability to identify and draw power from classical archetypes.  

I honestly hope that for Persona 4's success it doesn't abandon the new mechanics that have been introduced to the series, but I really want to play a game that isn't driven by a school calendar.  Atlus could also be more thoughtful in its selection of mythologies.  Some characters' Personae were more or less minor entities (ex. Ken using kala nemi) and drawing from castor and pollux made (at least for me) an incredibly easy prediction as to Shinjiro's ultimate fate.  

Obviously the game has worked out very well--it's probably the most popular SMT title that's reached stateside to date?  I think that it did a lot of good things, but wish that in doing them, it hadn't made it so hard for sequels to reach out to older players without abandoning those who just got acquainted to SMT with Persona 3.  I mean... I found the game very easy compared to Nocturne and even DDS.  A lot of first comers think it's very difficult.  I just don't want to see Persona 4 become a game that exists just to please a surprisingly receptive market.  

Also, wouldn't it be hilarious if one of the driving reasons to release this game on PS2 was so that the developers could recycle the same demon graphics we've been seeing since Nocturne?  I can honestly see it happening.

View Profile ErringArgonaut   IP Logged
Louis Cypher

Reply #25 - 01/22/08 at 05:23:52

What's funny is that a bunch of the archetypes don't seem to make sense... what is Lucifer doing in Star?

View Profile   IP Logged
Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #26 - 01/22/08 at 16:46:08

Yeah, it is a stretch for Star Lucifer to work.  Of course, I am not as upset by the arbitrary Tarot classifications because the arcana simply function as a means of organization and are just kind of a dumb bit of "game mechanics."  There's, to my knowledge, zero connection between that aspect of the game and the connections to Jungian philosophy, where the archetyping gets its most strength.  I also forgot to mention in my above post, what happened to playing with the idea of the collective unconscious?  I mean seriously, that's game fodder right there--want a strong glue to bind and rehabilitate bs rpg cliches, collective unconscious, you're my bff.  For serious. It's from the collective unconscious that we get our archetypal heroes that span cross-cultural barriers.  The whole card aspect of the game I am pretty indifferent to.  I think it organizes the game nicely, but is generally fluffy and unnecessary.  The exclusivity of persona to characters was a nice change in Persona 3, because it allowed for those characters to have a more important connection to their personae, but that was ultimately ruined by the thoughtless connections between character and persona.  Junpei and Hermes? Mmm, don't get it?  Maybe I can see Yukari's connection, since she felt bonded to fate, blah blah.  If each character were to be exclusively bound to a Persona, I could see the card system going out the door.  Of course, that could eliminate an entire aspect of "monster collecting" from the game, but there's no reason the Velvet Room couldn't function in other ways.  If the evoker were to return, why couldn't the monster collecting system revolve around that?  Monsters could perhaps be classified like they were in Nocturne.   Or if the Tarot system is to stay in tact, then I would prefer to see certain arcana reacting better to certain personalities like in Persona 2.  It could get really elaborate, with the social link system getting combined with the Velvet Room system of the older incarnations of the series.

Louis Cypher

Reply #27 - 01/23/08 at 02:44:22

Or we can simply wipe out the whole Social Link system entirely and go right back to smething like Persona 2, or maybe a micture of 1 and 2 here each monster's card has a value in a certain arcanum attached to it or something, and if you get certain cards you can summon certain Personae besides gour store bought ones. But eh.

Also I feel that P3's interface is an utter atrocity.

View Profile   IP Logged
Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #28 - 01/23/08 at 16:55:03

Yeah, P3's interface would've been cool (maybe) if it were some trendy touch screen action on the DS.  Not the case.  I am amused by how it enamored itself with so many reviewers.  I mean, it's pretty--pretty superfluous.   I always felt like the item organization was cumbersome.  Hell, even Pokemon does a better job organizing the player's inventory.

OneWingedSin
Less Newbies

I love Philemon!

Reply #29 - 02/19/08 at 12:05:43

Quote from Tallgeese on 01/22/08 at 05:23:52:
What's funny is that a bunch of the archetypes don't seem to make sense... what is Lucifer doing in Star?

Because Lucifer was the fire bringer... there's a bit more than 'Lucifer is evil' when it comes to the mythology that surrounds that particular being. Even if 'evil' he's the one that gave knowledge to the human race (going by some things).

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print