Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Megaten Haven the SMT Bulletin Board
05/03/24 at 19:02:59
News:
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 16
Send Topic Print
Persona 4 (Read 57172 times)
RMarques

I Love Jack Frost!

Re: Persona 4
Reply #60 - 05/19/08 at 09:22:06

More stuff from the Atlus Express (taken from gamefaqs)

It seems that:

SEES members and Trinity Soul characters don't appear but we can hear their rumor in this game.

Some female Social Links diverge lovers or best friends.

Improving AI's algorithm and can also control them ourselves.

Multiple endings but need not restart from the beginning.

http://www.atlusnet.jp/express/0805/p4_01.html

Oh, and in other news, some other information seems to hint that Kanji is actually gay.

« Last Edit: 05/19/08 at 11:32:00 by RMarques »  
Email View Profile   IP Logged
Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #61 - 05/19/08 at 16:52:20

That would be refreshing.  A gay character who is actually masculine.

View Profile ErringArgonaut   IP Logged
Apollo62
Less Newbies

DELETE!!

Reply #62 - 05/19/08 at 21:38:25

Hail to that bro! I wanna see a gay char. bash some heads, not fight with flowers Tongue

RMarques

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #63 - 05/20/08 at 05:07:50

I don't know, I personally think that a giant Venus Fly Trap would be a pretty badass weapon...

But given that these are JRPGs we're talking about, by "flower" they probably mean a rose or something along those lines. >_> <_<

Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #64 - 05/20/08 at 22:25:23

Having researched this rumor more, I am going to actually be seriously disappointed if his shadow form is not an indication of shame over his sexuality, etc.  It would be a refreshing, /realistic/, representation of a (closeted) homosexual.  If this game is aiming to be like a television serial, then it would make sense to capitalize on the homosexual "episode" / craze that is in an increasing number of shows.  

On a side note, thank god they are doing something intelligent with the shadows.  This is how the shadow should be represented.  As the dark interior to a person's soul in contrast to the shielding exterior--the persona.  They can keep all the high school bullshit they want as long as this simply dichotomy keeps its integrity.  Persona 2 played with it; Persona 3 incorporated it only in name, adding to its vapid and indolent method of story-telling.

RMarques

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #65 - 05/21/08 at 05:41:08

Realistic Portrayals of homosexuality on a teenager? In MY Japanese entertainment?  

Awesome  Cheesy

Seriously now, if it does turn out to be that way, then Persona 4 may very well have the best portrayal of a homosexuality in Japanese entertainment. Given that the closest thing that I can think of is Gravitation, whose discussion of the character's homosexuality consisted of them banging eachother then going all "OMGZ, I'M NOT GAY!!", that's major progress.

Choooo

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #66 - 05/21/08 at 11:43:35

Considering how realistically P3 portrayed suicide, I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you.

View Profile   IP Logged
Apollo62
Less Newbies

DELETE!!

Reply #67 - 05/21/08 at 16:40:28

You know, I kinda agree. Don't get me wrong, I'd love for there to be a gay char. that breaks stereotypes with an interesting story concerning his sexuality, but I can't help thinking that maybe everyone has read to much into this. I mean what proof do we really have? His shadow form? That's not enough for me. I could be totally wrong, and if so I'd be happy trust me, but do you understand what I mean?

Eikichi Girl

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #68 - 05/21/08 at 21:54:41

Quote from Apollo62 on 05/21/08 at 16:40:28:
You know, I kinda agree. Don't get me wrong, I'd love for there to be a gay char. that breaks stereotypes with an interesting story concerning his sexuality, but I can't help thinking that maybe everyone has read to much into this. I mean what proof do we really have? His shadow form? That's not enough for me. I could be totally wrong, and if so I'd be happy trust me, but do you understand what I mean?

Isn't it from the interview that RMarques posted? That's all that we have as "proof" short of the game's actual japanese release. I agree the gay closeted angle could really work well with the themes we see building in the game. I just hope it isn't the enitre focus of his story if that's true. I'd hate for him to become one-dimensional.  

Yay for controlling characters in the party! I wonder though, will they keep the One-More system? If they did, it'd basically make the game waaaay too easy.

Also, this is from the Gamespot forums. The apparent translation of the latest Famitsu scans.

- There's a rumor that states when you look into a TV at midnight, you see what your real desires are and your inner personality. Basically, what you secretly want to be like.

- Dungeons seem to be based around each character's TV channel (ie: inner desire), with the boss shadow being the physical representation of the character's "inner persona". Examples:

-The Hotel Heiress' channel depicted her in a princess dress, acting cutesy and a little seductive with lots of outward emotion. This clashes with her family raising her to be a proper woman to take over the business when she grows up.

-Kanji's "shadow boss" shows him nude, in roses, and holding two of the the male gender symbols in both hands. This obviously clashes with his tough-guy looking attitude, and also hints that Kanji is actually gay.

- This time around, everyone close to you is connected to a commu. Including the guys in your group. Also new, is choosing whether you want to be best friends with someone or to be intimate (as opposed to Persona 3's "having 5 girlfriends at once". My friend translating said he wasn't sure if that meant that you could date the boys in your group as well, but it very well may be possible.

- Party members can be set to be MANUALLY CONTROLLED.

- The pop star is rumored to be "the navigator" of the group, because she is the only one that hasn't been seen in battle clips.

If the first part is true, then my belief that red-head isn't an idol is true. Wonder what MC's "inner desire" would be? I hope that we as players can influence that.

Apollo62
Less Newbies

DELETE!!

Reply #69 - 05/22/08 at 00:33:17

I tried to read the interview, but when translated it read like gibberish. If it says he's gay or hints at it than I believe you, plus these games are all about the symbolism so I guess you can't argue with that shadow boss. I agree with you about his story. If it's just a gay coming of age tale then that would be a little cliche, but I'll be happy with any story about a cool gay guy 'cause I can't remember the last time I saw one in a video game. Well I guess Jun was kinda cool, but only as The Joker. When he was a regular guy he was just plain old gay(Flowers!? Come on!). I also fervantly believe that Kiros from FFVIII was gay, they just didn't make a big deal out of it because it wasn't important to the story, and I can't really say he was cool either.

As for the Idol, I'd really like for her to be a Pop star, but I get the whole dungeon thing. It would make sense, but in the one video it shows them in real life. Riding a bike, in an elevator and modeling, and it shows her in concert! So I think she just might be an Idol in real life. If she's the navigator though, I'm gonna be disapointed. I wanna see her kick ass, then again as the navigator she technically would be in EVERY battle so as long as she's got a good voice actor that would be cool. I just don't like Kuma, he needs to stay on the sidelines! He might change my opinion when I start playing, but he is certainly no Koro-chan!

Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #70 - 05/22/08 at 02:00:17

Yeah, either this game is absolutely moronic in thinking that there's anything else to read into Kanji's shadow form, or he's completely a closet case.  

As for the idol, I don't think we should assume she is the navigator.  That bear thing, kuma, has been seen appearing where Fuuka did during battles as well as participating in battle.  I think that there's no reason that the game will make one character completely useless and non-combative.  I just think we haven't gotten to see the "idol" character because she's probably like ken and koromaru and kind of secondary to the main cast.  I mean we didn't really know much if anything about ken for a really long time.  We were all like wtf is that little boy doing in all these trailers?

Apollo62
Less Newbies

DELETE!!

Reply #71 - 05/22/08 at 07:13:55

That would be pretty cool. If you could have two navigators to switch around when needed, if thats what your implying. It is kinda early to be assuming that she won't fight, but we have seen devil summoner guy fighting and that was way before they introduced him. Kanji too. I just hope your right. For some reason the idea of an Idol on the team gets me going. I just like the idea of someone famous bieng apart of some bigger picture, and fighting!

Quote:
Seriously now, if it does turn out to be that way, then Persona 4 may very well have the best portrayal of a homosexuality in Japanese entertainment. Given that the closest thing that I can think of is Gravitation, whose discussion of the character's homosexuality consisted of them banging eachother then going all "OMGZ, I'M NOT GAY!!", that's major progress.

lol, I agree on both points. It would be a nice/ accurate(hopefully) portrayal, but kanji banging some ass might be entertaining. The again yaoi was never really my thing, and it certainly has no place in a video game that's being marketed to the general public!

Quote:
On a side note, thank god they are doing something intelligent with the shadows.  This is how the shadow should be represented.  As the dark interior to a person's soul in contrast to the shielding exterior--the persona.  They can keep all the high school bullshit they want as long as this simply dichotomy keeps its integrity.  Persona 2 played with it; Persona 3 incorporated it only in name, adding to its vapid and indolent method of story-telling.

I'll second that man! I miss the shadow bosses, they were chillingly evil, and I loved it! There was def some insightful dialogue in those fights. To see your char. evil sides was defenitly interesting, but I don't care what anybody says I loved P3. Sure it had it's flaws, but I still enjoyed it. The social links / moon phases were def. monotnous over time but overall any Persona over no persona is good for me!

Eikichi Girl

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #72 - 05/22/08 at 20:55:13

I don't know, I still side with the idea of Kuma being the Mitsuru to Idol's Fuuka. Maybe he acts as the navigator in the beginning, but like Mitsuru attempts to be more pro-active in fighting the shadows? We've seen everyone, but her in combat now, so either she is really secondary to the story, or she's this game's navigator. I hope so, because I don't want a Fuuka 2.0, who's shy and lacks confidence, etc.

Apollo62
Less Newbies

DELETE!!

Reply #73 - 05/23/08 at 03:25:33

Well, I guess you were right. Look up top around 1:32.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AheFibutRAw

citizen zero
Less Newbies

I love blastbeat!!!

Reply #74 - 05/23/08 at 12:19:55

"...well, making MC date boys in your party would be totally, totally refreshing..."

This stuff kinda gives me the creeps. I mean, Jun turned out to be gay, but when i was playing P2EP i never had a thought about him being one. And focusing some parts of the storyline on this homostuff is sort of promoting homosexualism imho. down with you, yaoi lover girls )

i just hope it`s a good old fake Wink

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 16
Send Topic Print