Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Megaten Haven the SMT Bulletin Board
05/03/24 at 12:35:11
News:
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 16
Send Topic Print
Persona 4 (Read 57073 times)
Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Re: Persona 4
Reply #75 - 05/23/08 at 12:50:24

Quote:
Quote:
"...well, making MC date boys in your party would be totally, totally refreshing..."

This stuff kinda gives me the creeps. I mean, Jun turned out to be gay, but when i was playing P2EP i never had a thought about him being one. And focusing some parts of the storyline on this homostuff is sort of promoting homosexualism imho. down with you, yaoi lover girls )

i just hope it`s a good old fake Wink

Were you just serious?  I can respect your discomfort around homosexuals, but honestly, what the hell were you even saying?  Homosexualism?  That's not a word.  Promoting homosexualsim?  Where are you from?  The Bible Belt?  Sorry to burst your bubble, but /homosexuality/ is just a reality.  If someone misinformed you that it was an invention of the 20th century, they're only half right as it was only then recognized as a sexual orientation, which in fact, just added to its stigma.  There's nothing to promote.  People get off in different ways; that's how the world is, and the game would be engineered around player choice meaning unless secret gay desires bubbled up in your playthrough you could date any of the "hot chicks" in the game.

View Profile ErringArgonaut   IP Logged
citizen zero
Less Newbies

I love blastbeat!!!

Reply #76 - 05/23/08 at 13:13:43

i wanted to wright something about "have you noticed gays arranging parades and all this stuff to show the world how they are proud of their choice blah blah blah and straight guys not doing anything like that" but i don`t like faggots at all and i`m tired of speaking about gays already.

*electricity cuts off*

so
homosexuality is gay. (c)

View Profile   IP Logged
RMarques

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #77 - 05/23/08 at 15:41:15

Quote from citizen zero on 05/23/08 at 12:19:55:

This stuff kinda gives me the creeps. I mean, Jun turned out to be gay, but when i was playing P2EP i never had a thought about him being one.

*gasp!* Homosexuals being just like the Average Joe down the lane? Preposterous!  

Seriously though, the minute I saw the P2IS's character designs, I could tell immediately which one was Jun. Maybe it's just because I'm familiar with yaoi and the way the Japanese usually do these kind of things, but come on, he just screams fangirl bait.

Email View Profile   IP Logged
Louis Cypher

Reply #78 - 05/23/08 at 16:05:24

Quote from Sir_Asura on 05/23/08 at 12:50:24:
Quote:
Quote:
"...well, making MC date boys in your party would be totally, totally refreshing..."

This stuff kinda gives me the creeps. I mean, Jun turned out to be gay, but when i was playing P2EP i never had a thought about him being one. And focusing some parts of the storyline on this homostuff is sort of promoting homosexualism imho. down with you, yaoi lover girls )

i just hope it`s a good old fake Wink

Were you just serious?  I can respect your discomfort around homosexuals, but honestly, what the hell were you even saying?  Homosexualism?  That's not a word.  Promoting homosexualsim?  Where are you from?  The Bible Belt?  Sorry to burst your bubble, but /homosexuality/ is just a reality.  If someone misinformed you that it was an invention of the 20th century, they're only half right as it was only then recognized as a sexual orientation, which in fact, just added to its stigma.  There's nothing to promote.  People get off in different ways; that's how the world is, and the game would be engineered around player choice meaning unless secret gay desires bubbled up in your playthrough you could date any of the "hot chicks" in the game.

It could be called promotion if doing so leads to a unqiue and powerful item though, just to play devil's advocate.

View Profile   IP Logged
Eikichi Girl

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #79 - 05/23/08 at 20:46:19

Quote from Apollo62 on 05/23/08 at 03:25:33:
Well, I guess you were right. Look up top around 1:32.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AheFibutRAw

Ha! I knew it. Fear my awesome powers of precognition...and deduction. BTW, can we not turn this thread of course again? If Citizen Zero dislikes gays for whatever reason lets it alone. This is the Persona 4 thread people.

0kami7777

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #80 - 05/23/08 at 23:12:02

Um...isn't what he said pretty much flatout grounds for being banned? I mean, it's one thing to dislike a people, but to use hate speech? Isn't that like, insta-flag? I oculd be wrong though so don't hate; I just though that was the "TOS" here.

View Profile   IP Logged
Apollo62
Less Newbies

DELETE!!

Reply #81 - 05/23/08 at 23:29:45

Quote:
Ha! I knew it. Fear my awesome powers of precognition...and deduction.

I kneel in awe of your mighty powers Smiley And for Christ's sake, if you don't want your MC to be gay then don't flirt with the dudes. It's that simple. These games are about opening your mind to different possibilitys( and i'm not talking about "gay agendas"), if you can't see that then why are you even here? And Tallgeese, I totally respect your opinions, but seriously, don't fan the flames. Or in this case flame-haters.

citizen zero
Less Newbies

I love blastbeat!!!

Reply #82 - 05/24/08 at 05:51:48

yeah,just don`t let the thread turn, don`t let the thread turn...

the final question which you don`t need to reply THERE:
let`s say the country you live in is really tolerant.
now look at the major games released by your country`s developers this month and count the gay chars and gay storyline plots in these games.  

and now...

return to Kuma.
is it really a bear? cuz the thing just doesn`t look like one )))

View Profile   IP Logged
Apollo62
Less Newbies

DELETE!!

Reply #83 - 05/24/08 at 06:19:45

That's the whole point. If Kanji did have some sort of storyline revolving around his questionable sexuality, it would break barriers. It could set a precedent. To be quite honest, your right. Why would the major Game companies release games centered solely on gay character's and thier plight? That wouldn't sell a shitload of games, but that doesn't mean their aren't gay gamers out there, or gay friendly ones at least. Maybe they would like someone to identify with every once in awhile, or at least someone who would help them think outside of the box. Nobody said "Hey we should have a gay MC and play his gay life!", but if some people wouldn't mind a quistionably gay secondary character don't burn them at the stake for it.

And don't try to be all cutesy and change the subject...of course he's not a real bear Tongue

RMarques

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #84 - 05/24/08 at 06:57:50

Well, Persona 3 had Koromaru, so...

Oh, and Persona 4 would hardly be the first game with gay characters in them. Sims 1, Sims 2, and Canis Canem Edit (Bully for you americans) already beat it to the punch.

Apollo62
Less Newbies

DELETE!!

Reply #85 - 05/24/08 at 07:19:07

Well of course it's not the first game with LGBT Character's in it, but most of those were not relevant to the story. That's why Kanji could become very important. And I'm sorry but I don't think Sims count, that's along the lines of MC and other "silent protaganist" roles. I had a previous post along these lines when I mentioned Jun and Kiros from FFVIII(Don't deny!).  

On a side note, where are you from?(You said you americans), and I don't get the koromaru reference.

Also, I'd hate to take that jerks lead, but what the hell is kuma? A cartoon or a character from a T.V. world? Like I said , he obviously isn't a real bear. Maybe we could use some of Eikichi Girl's "mysterious powers" to figure it out Wink

Choooo

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #86 - 05/24/08 at 12:33:52

Kuma is a character from a children's TV show in the world of P4.

View Profile   IP Logged
RMarques

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #87 - 05/24/08 at 15:30:45

Quote from Apollo62 on 05/24/08 at 07:19:07:
Well of course it's not the first game with LGBT Character's in it, but most of those were not relevant to the story. That's why Kanji could become very important.

True, Jade Empire and Mass Effect would have been much better examples.

Quote from Apollo62 on 05/24/08 at 07:19:07:
On a side note, where are you from?(You said you americans), and I don't get the koromaru reference.

I'm from Portugal, an European country where the Megaten games are mostly unknown, store clerks will look funny at you if you ask about them, and a store was so desperate to get rid of their 3 Digital Devil Saga copies that they sold them for 5€ (that 7.88 dollars with the current exchange rate).  

And the Koromaru reference was about the fact that since we already had a dog using a persona, a bear talking and using a persona too wouldn't be that much of a stretch.

Eikichi Girl

I Love Jack Frost!

Reply #88 - 05/24/08 at 18:06:15

Quote from Choooo on 05/24/08 at 12:33:52:
Kuma is a character from a children's TV show in the world of P4.

I've seen this mentioned on other boards, but I don't know where people are getting this from. Is this on the official site, or mentioned in an interview?

Also: There's a new video on the website. So...you know...if someone speaks Japanese they can enjoy it.

Sir_Asura

Failure to Comply

Reply #89 - 05/24/08 at 19:33:13

Quote:
It could be called promotion if doing so leads to a unqiue and powerful item though, just to play devil's advocate.

Well, aren't all video games about empowering weak, ineffectual males to begin with?  Just kidding.  

To citizen zero, I don't really care if you like or dislike gays, I am simply saying it's not a big deal because it's a role playing game.  Rest assured, even if every single male in this game were straight, you'd still have a collection of revolting fan fiction and homo-erotic art between every conceivable male on male pairing.  The imagination is a powerful thing.  On top of that, Apollo62 makes some really good points about offering characters that alternative audiences can relate to, even if they are ancillary to the story as a whole.  Obviously a sausage fest wouldn't sell, but a game that is provocative will.  There's the difference.

I kind of don't understand Kuma at all.  I don't know how he is essential to the story in the least, or what he could possibly represent.  I kind of hope he evaporates into spiritual nothingness like Gouto does before the end of the whole game.  Taking that little fuzzball into the final battle would be too much to bear (punnnnnn).

View Profile ErringArgonaut   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 16
Send Topic Print